• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the next evolution of the game?

Also wanted to mention, I'd like to see a rise in popularity of speed golf. You don't keep score on a hole, everyone is frantically throwing and running to be first in the basket. If you're first in the basket you get a 1, if you're second you get a 2, and so on. Lowest score at the end of the round wins. Sure, it's biased against fat disc golfers, but that's just an incentive to get in shape.

That sounds super dangerous...

Lets say I'm putting to be the first one to hole out, and then bam...I get smoked in the head by someone's drive.

How about hub-cap DG? We found a Cadillac hubcap near the course today, and it flew pretty respectably - a tad understable.

I've been saying this forever. There should be one standard disc golf basket for competition. The trick is, who do you give the bid to for the "official target (basket) of disc golf?" We all know it would be Innova.

On the other hand, it's a good thing they didn't do this 20 years ago. Think of all the improvements we'd have missed out on if one company had the contract, with one approved target design, and no incentive to improve it.

And once courses were built with the single approved basket, how would you ever change?

And once courses were built with the single approved basket, how would you ever change?

Why would you change it, if it was the approved basket?

One possible side effect of having one official target is the price. It would surely rise significantly as demand increased, and the manufacturer strained to keep up with supply.

Not likely. Price might go down or stabilize since all manufacturers could make that model. Most efficient Asian manufacturer becomes most successful.

Not all sports have exact standards in their sport. College Hockey doesn't have a standard size ice sheet and baseball doesn't have standard field sizes, out of bounds, wall heights or size of bats or design of gloves.

Why would you change it, if it was the approved basket?

One possible side effect of having one official target is the price. It would surely rise significantly as demand increased, and the manufacturer strained to keep up with supply.

So someone invents a better basket. Does the PDGA switch, or keep the old inferior model forever? If they switch, do they require all courses to update? Otherwise, you've got 2 models in active use, and have defeated the "one model for all" plan.

Not likely. Price might go down or stabilize since all manufacturers could make that model. Most efficient Asian manufacturer becomes most successful.

His post indicated he'd have one manufacturer win the contract.

Disc golf driving ranges.

Woodland Creek Park, the new course in Lacey, Wa., has a driving range with a huge concrete tee pad and distance markers. Unfortunately, you have to go out and retrieve your discs yourself

*Editors note* If you decide to visit the course, don't follow the coordinates on the course homepage...it shows the course as being somewhere in outer Mongolia, lol. :doh:

i think the next evolution is players throwing with both hands. good skaters can skate switch, whats our excuse? also i dont wanna hear about forehand shots. big meh there.

So someone invents a better basket. Does the PDGA switch, or keep the old inferior model forever? If they switch, do they require all courses to update? Otherwise, you've got 2 models in active use, and have defeated the "one model for all" plan.

It would admittedly be very difficult to switch over to one basket for all. Let's suppose it was the Mach III. Would the PDGA require all the courses with DISCatchers to switch? It's highly unlikely. The financial burden would be too great for most clubs. Perhaps they would require a certain timeframe to switch.

Once it was considered that "X" model target was official, there wouldn't necessarily be a need to have another one replace it in the future. There is something to be said for continuity, and consistency in the game. I would love to be able to go to any course in the world, and know that "X" basket was there.

I'm betting the design would be approved based on consistent catching ability. As someone who doesn't see well at all, the yellow band helps me alot. Our longest hole at Sylmar is 420' and I often can't see half the baskets at our course even knowing every socket there.

Also wanted to mention, I'd like to see a rise in popularity of speed golf. You don't keep score on a hole, everyone is frantically throwing and running to be first in the basket. If you're first in the basket you get a 1, if you're second you get a 2, and so on. Lowest score at the end of the round wins. Sure, it's biased against fat disc golfers, but that's just an incentive to get in shape.

That sounds like a lot of fun actually! :thmbup:

There are a couple of dudes at my local course who play like that solo and they tear through 18 holes really quick.

A couple responses. One, I loathe the idea of standardized baskets. What basket a course uses is as much a part of the course's unique nature as the terrain. It is a part of the personality of the course, and that is what makes me want to travel around as much as I can and play as many courses as I am able. Besides, everyone on here knows how the different baskets catch, so just putt better.
Second, the "scene" is fine, mostly. Those of us who would support a kiddie league wouldn't fire up a joint at the 3rd grade classic. Any organization that steps up and works to.promote the game to city leagues and school sports will find the same mix of parents in attendance as any other sport. The termites that piss you off on the course aren't signing up for pee wee tourney. And, moreover, at least around here, the disc golf scene is several shades cleaner than most softball, bowling, or basketball beer leagues or casual players. And school teams are thriving.
I promote the idea of local club tourneys that satisfy the beer league needs and stronger manufacturer-driven events that follow PDGA standards of conduct and are focused on inclusion of the youth, women's and amateur divisions, while supporting the true competition spirit.
Thanks

My input on baskets and why its good to have different styles.
Disc Golf, mirrors (Ball) Golf in many ways, one thing that Disc Golf does not follow is the concept of the green. Yea We have the 10 meter circle but it doesn't have that same feel. To get to my point, the one nice thing about having different styles of baskets, follow the concept of different styles of greens. Odds are if You play 3 (Ball) Golf courses You are going to find Yourself putting on one that is a slower/faster green then the others, You then have to change Your putting style for that 15 footer. Same thing with Disc Golf, I'm sure all of You who travel have been to a course that has had single chains or a low rim. You have to change Your putting style slightly so that they will stick.

Ok, that is enough rambling for now.

Teams that are not sponsered by a disc manufacturer, but are sposered by other companies. Imagine if players could choose whatever disc they wanted rather than just the restricted line up of their parent manufacturer. Teams would be able to focus more on individual talent rather than landing a sponser with a more comprehensive disc selection. However this would open the door to big business that will try to make money from the sport and have little interesest in what it stands for.

It would admittedly be very difficult to switch over to one basket for all. Let's suppose it was the Mach III. Would the PDGA require all the courses with DISCatchers to switch? It's highly unlikely. The financial burden would be too great for most clubs. Perhaps they would require a certain timeframe to switch.

Once it was considered that "X" model target was official, there wouldn't necessarily be a need to have another one replace it in the future. There is something to be said for continuity, and consistency in the game. I would love to be able to go to any course in the world, and know that "X" basket was there.

I understand, but there's something to be said for improvement, too.

If this line of reasoning had been taken 20 years ago, all courses today would have single-chain baskets with shallow trays, and a lot of spit-throughs. And it would be almost impossible to change that. Ever. It would be "THE Target".

If it were done now, there would be no incentive for a company to come out with a basket that eliminates wedgies and DROTS.

I think the PDGA is on the right track, with a set of standards for manufacturers to meet or exceed, and requiring higher-standard baskets for higher-tier events. The standards could be different, maybe should be different, but that's the right way to go about it.

Latest posts