• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the next evolution of the game?

Great stuff!

Right now we're selling to the adult competitive crowd. Put flowers on 'em, sell 'em in a pink purse... 10 years later, insanely competitive collegiate female scene.

Me and my fat marketing friends are the key to more hotties playing.

"Hello Kitty" discs? I might even throw one of those since I'm old enough to do it. :)

Scholastic play also exposes disc golf to the non-disc-golfing public such as college alumni and fans, and high school parents. Not necessarily people who will ever play disc golf, but the increased awareness in the general population can't hurt.

... Scholastic and youth leagues mean expansion of disc golf into new territory, culture-wise.

That would be fantastic. I know there are folks on this forum - Prerube, for one - who are already involved with bringing DG into the schools. Jay and Des Reading are involved with the EDGE program. Even cooler would be for experienced course designers to be involved with age-appropriate course design for the schools. Has anyone ever played the short "kids's course" at Farragut State Park in Athole, Idaho? It takes skill to score well, but a six-year-old can get around it quick enough.

They have them all over the planet. It's called a field and gps.

I think he means a real driving range, where you don't need to go get your disc. You throw all day without leaving one spot.

I think he means a real driving range, where you don't need to go get your disc. You throw all day without leaving one spot.

I was giving him a hard time. He doesn't wear sleeves.

I wouldn't pay to throw someone else's discs I don't think. Only in a shop to try before I buy. If someone with a field wanted to set up distance markers and ask for donations to people who used it, I would do that.

Is there a place where you could throw into a huge net, so you could at least get your mechanics down without having to go and get your discs?

Maybe disc golf training is the next big thing. A disc golfer needs to win the lottery so they can open the International Disc Golf Training Center. The center would have an outdoor driving range. Indoor driving with a net, and video playback so you could analyze your technique. Huge fans that simulate windy conditions. Baskets on top of artificial hills so you can practice your putts in every possible scenario. Paid coaching staff that could train you, and answer any questions. A fully stocked pro shop with all your equipment needs. A small hotel built in, with a full service restaurant for your convenience since you'll be travelling to get there. And obviously, it would all be situated next to the newest championship level course, that would be home to an NT every year. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This thing is going to be SICK!!

Oh crap, was I dreaming again...

Is there a place where you could throw into a huge net, so you could at least get your mechanics down without having to go and get your discs?

Maybe disc golf training is the next big thing. A disc golfer needs to win the lottery so they can open the International Disc Golf Training Center. The center would have an outdoor driving range. Indoor driving with a net, and video playback so you could analyze your technique. Huge fans that simulate windy conditions. Baskets on top of artificial hills so you can practice your putts in every possible scenario. Paid coaching staff that could train you, and answer any questions. A fully stocked pro shop with all your equipment needs. A small hotel built in, with a full service restaurant for your convenience since you'll be travelling to get there. And obviously, it would all be situated next to the newest championship level course, that would be home to an NT every year. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This thing is going to be SICK!!

I would go there.

Wasn't Feldberg harping about new basket standards?

I've been saying this forever. There should be one standard disc golf basket for competition. The trick is, who do you give the bid to for the "official target (basket) of disc golf?" We all know it would be Innova.

Also wanted to mention, I'd like to see a rise in popularity of speed golf. You don't keep score on a hole, everyone is frantically throwing and running to be first in the basket. If you're first in the basket you get a 1, if you're second you get a 2, and so on. Lowest score at the end of the round wins. Sure, it's biased against fat disc golfers, but that's just an incentive to get in shape.

that's a good idea

I was giving him a hard time. He doesn't wear sleeves.

I wouldn't pay to throw someone else's discs I don't think. Only in a shop to try before I buy. If someone with a field wanted to set up distance markers and ask for donations to people who used it, I would do that.

I would definitely pay $10 to have someone hand me 50 star destroyers and not have to pick them up

The way to do it would be an open design competition. Perhaps the designs are narrowed to two or three "winners" with the designs "owned" by the PDGA but available free. The design winners would get some form of compensation or prize for being a finalist. Any manufacturer would be allowed to make the winners and these would be used for perhaps 5 years. At that point, the ultimate winner would be determined for the long haul.

Team DG

I think the country should be divided up into 8 geographical areas, North East, South East, Central North, Central South, North West and South West + Canada East VS Canada West. Each area would yearly thru ratings pick the top 4 in each division and play closest rivals NE plays SE so on and so on. You could do it Am and Pro or alternately change each year back and forth. Have tourney mid way, have winner and then they take on each other for the National Regional Championships. It would intensify the rivalry between the nation, keep people watching to see who are the Champs for the year. Kind of soccer - flags and banners flying.:thmbup:

Thomas Worthington, a High school in my area is building an on site course. With the schools here, once someone does something, the rest do it too. I see actual high school teams happening sooner than later. Perhaps doubles style and singles.

In Santa Cruz there are already disc golf teams starting to pop up in high schools :thmbup: the schools all have clubs and they compete on the weekends.

As far as collegiate disc golf goes, I would like to see the national championships rotate around the country, rather than just be in Augusta every year. That way schools in Georgia and South Carolina don't have an advantage over every other school :wall:

I've been saying this forever. There should be one standard disc golf basket for competition. The trick is, who do you give the bid to for the "official target (basket) of disc golf?" We all know it would be Innova.

I like the Mach baskets better than Innova's. Im pretty sure a lot of people do.

Latest posts