• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the worst part of your game?

What part of your game needs the most improvement?

• Driving

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • Midrange shots

Votes: 28 8.5%
  • Approach shots

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Putting

Votes: 148 45.1%

• Total voters
Forehand driving is and has always been my achilles heel. There have been a lot of score lowering opportunities missed over the years because of my uncompromising attitude toward learning them.......until recently. I've been practicing them for a few months and it's really starting to come along well.

Instead of having a good turnover and a horrible sidearm, I now have a barely decent turnover and a barely decent sidearm. :\

Drives. I'm pretty confident 25 feet and in with putts, and can hit a legit 300'+ with a FW driver. But I'll be god-dammed if I can do anything Speed 12 drivers or above.

I'll also second consistency. My round typically has three phases, in chronological order: Good (3 holes or so), GARBAGE (4-5 holes), then ticking along fine (rest of round).

I'm glad to see that the best part of my game is the worst part of everyone else's :D

I think driving is the most difficult part of disc golf. There are a lot of mechanics and much room for error, and when you mess up it's usually big. To consistently rip huge, accurate drives is rather difficult for me.

I love to putt, though! :thmbup: Plus you don't need much room to practice. It is my goal to develop into a killer putter and just win at the basket.

Putting

I put putting because the tweaks I need in the other areas will come in time as I play more, develop better technique etc. but putting is a game within a game for me.

For putters I switched to Discraft's Ringer and Innova's Pig and I have seen some good improvement but the disc only does what the thrower does so I have just stuck with those putters for now.

I try to avoid tournaments with too many holes in the 2-300' range, because I know I'm going to trash my rating. Midrange is definitely my weakness.

The worst part of my game is easily just finding time to get out and enjoy the game along with family, work, and all of my other obligations.

200ft down to circles edge. Whether it be the length of the hole (potentially an easy birdie) or approaching about that distance where you should be able to get within the circle. I like driving, even putting, but this range... Defeats me. I tend to try and hyzer in, and with the room that works maybe 50/50, but obstacles get larger if they are present, it seems. But, only thing I can do is get out and practice it more! Cheers!

200ft down to circles edge. Whether it be the length of the hole (potentially an easy birdie) or approaching about that distance where you should be able to get within the circle. I like driving, even putting, but this range... Defeats me. I tend to try and hyzer in, and with the room that works maybe 50/50, but obstacles get larger if they are present, it seems. But, only thing I can do is get out and practice it more! Cheers!

Mr. Short Drive…

My short drives is my weak link at the moment. I have been playing about 3 months, so all areas still need work…. I usually play multiple rounds a week, do multiple field days a week, as well as some back yard putting (broke down and bought me an MVP Black Hole Pro for $150 on Amazon - worth it!). Addicted - watch videos or read improvement discussions multiple times a day! Even more addicted to buying discs - up to 40 already! I love hunting the used bins at a local disc shop and local Play It Again Sports - nothing like $5-8 used discs that I like (and, unlike Amazon, I can pick bright, easy to find colors!). My short drive - I am finally breaking 200 feet with some consistency - my longest drives right now tend to be Diamond, River, and/or Leopard3. Recently tweaked my form, got worse, kept at it, got better, and right now I got 1-2 more tweaks I plan to work on next. I had the shortest drive in the group of 4 of us that I play with regularly, but I am gaining ground, and hopefully continue to do so. I want that 300 feet that feels so far away! What a great game! What fun! -ChrisinFL

I said my approach game, but of course it's all of the above.

Then again, the thing I thought about that is not an option is making bad worse. Mental game. Not trying to throw hero shots. Don't turn a two putt into a 3 putt. Being greedy on an upshot trying to drop in a c2/3+ leaving a long putt that I'm likely to miss versus playing "Safeton" and getting up and down.

I think a big part of that is most of my casual play is basically skins so you go for the hero shot more often than not.

When I was playing league,I started improving my score a lot.

Definitely approaches. Obviously I'd love more distance off the tee, but if I could just execute approaches consistently I'd score way better. I shoot myself in the foot with a shanked approach waaaaaay too often.

Durability.

I'm pretty well rounded. I can get forehands out to 400' and backhands out to 500' on golf lines, approach pretty consistently with both styles, and I've put a lot of work in when it comes to putting. Mental game is strong, I've never felt more confident in my game.

But if I throw too many long range drives back to back, it messes up my throwing hand.

I miss the days when I could do 2 hour field work sessions and really dial in my distance. These days my middle finger pad can get ripped off if I empty my bag twice in the field, throwing everything 100%.

If I had to pick a poll option, I'd probably go with drives. While my driving game is strong overall, if I do mess up a hole it's generally going to be throwing my tee shot a bit wide or releasing it early. I get up and down easy enough and make most the putts I expect myself to make, but it's tough to never, ever slightly shank a drive.

Drives - Distance (I max at 390 on a good day) and overall consistency on release points. My drives tend to be all over the place when I'm not making myself take my time.
Approaches - Nothing really to improve. This is my strongest point of my game for sure.
Putting - Definitely my weakest part of my game. I'll miss putts from like 5 feet away but mostly its when I'm in a hurry.

Latest posts