• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's up with my distance?

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
For the first time this year, I went out and got some field work in. I was throwing my buzzzes about 250-275. Pretty decent huh? The problem was with my Wraiths and Valks. I was only throwing them about 20 feet farther than my buzzzes. I know these distances to be accurate because I was on a regulation soccer field throwing goal to goal, which is about 300 feet. I don't want to give up on my wraiths and valks. I love the way they feel and their flight patterns. But what are some things that may be hindering my distance with them? I feel that I have good form and a decent amount of snap or else I wouldn't be throwing buzzzes 275 right? Any suggestions will be appreciated, as I am stumped. Oh an before someone suggests any sort of fairway drivers, I was throwing TL's and Banshees as far as the Wraiths and Valks. Just wanna get more distance out of the high speed stuff.

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Last edited:
I say boy, nose angle. You are probably not getting enough weight forward which makes it hard to get the nose down. It could also be nose up from plane preservation issues.

I agree with Sidewinder. Its all nose angle issues or snap issues. The high speed stuff needs to be nose down to get any kind of distance. Slower drivers and mid are a lot more forgiving on nose angle issues

Plane preservation issues?

Now looka here son, if your elbow is off plane with your shoulders you will often get nose up throws, this is often from the elbow being too low and/or shoulders not being on plane with the intended throw ie shoulders should be rotating through / hyzer. Could also be a reverse pivot on the hips, so you are basically only throwing with your arm which will also prevent you getting weight forward, so you end up nose up. Try walking the x-step(if you are not walking it) and make sure your footwork is kosher for your intended line.

have you been playing through the winter? you could just be rusty.....

Thanks guys. But yeah, I pretty much played all winter. So my arm isn't rusty. My run up, on the other hand, now that's a different story. I played A LOT of rounds this winter in our lovely Ohio weather. Ice and snow covered pads, etc. Not a lot of good runs up involved. As far as the nose up and rotational issues, I'll post a video of me throwing on this thread tomorrow so you guys can actually SEE what I may or may not be doing. Thanks again.

Now looka here son, if your elbow is off plane with your shoulders you will often get nose up throws, this is often from the elbow being too low and/or shoulders not being on plane with the intended throw ie shoulders should be rotating through / hyzer. Could also be a reverse pivot on the hips, so you are basically only throwing with your arm which will also prevent you getting weight forward, so you end up nose up. Try walking the x-step(if you are not walking it) and make sure your footwork is kosher for your intended line.

I found I get more nose up if I walk the X step as opposed to a more quickened paste. Faster seems to make momentum and get my body over my plant foot more on release.

Of course, its just a matter of emphasising that last plant step in a walk through I guess.

Yeah, learning to emphasise that last step can be hard, but if you do, you can maintain most of that distance and be more controlled. Been trying to do that a little more here and there. Best bet is to do the one step drive from the Beato drills; which you should do the entire drill at least once if you havent. I always return to it from time to time to work something out.

soccer fields can vary in size, there is no set size of a soccer field, but there is a range it has to be built inside

max size 120 yards x 80 yards
min size 109 yards x 65 yards

most all HS and recreation soccer fields are 120x75

maybe get a measurement on your field, you could be throwing farther than you think! use the google earth... seems to be accurate to within 10'

At any rate, distance numbers are irrelevant if you main concern is how far your drivers are going compared to your mids, other than maybe you just dont have the arm for the drivers really, but TBH, I think nose down is much more important. Seen people finess drivers and have them fly pretty good, just with not as much turn. Its the stall out that really kills you.

Yeah, learning to emphasise that last step can be hard, but if you do, you can maintain most of that distance and be more controlled. Been trying to do that a little more here and there. Best bet is to do the one step drive from the Beato drills; which you should do the entire drill at least once if you havent. I always return to it from time to time to work something out.

what are the beato drills?

Nice, gonna have to try that drill, something I can do in baseball park across street,

I found I get more nose up if I walk the X step as opposed to a more quickened paste. Faster seems to make momentum and get my body over my plant foot more on release.

Of course, its just a matter of emphasising that last plant step in a walk through I guess.

Yeah Techno, that first part is interesting. I think it's the difference between walking and running. When u run, u will naturally lean over in the direction ur moving, as opposed to when u walk. In DG terms, this translates into your weight more into the shot and over the plant foot like u were saying. Reviewing these drive videos really gets u thinking about your own technique and what u need to work on. This issue is a big one for me lately.

Yeah Techno, that first part is interesting. I think it's the difference between walking and running. When u run, u will naturally lean over in the direction ur moving, as opposed to when u walk. In DG terms, this translates into your weight more into the shot and over the plant foot like u were saying. Reviewing these drive videos really gets u thinking about your own technique and what u need to work on. This issue is a big one for me lately.

Its actually something that haunted me for a long time but am starting to get better and better at it. One thing I have noticed though is I am gettting some really low shots from time to time when I try throwing "flat" (IE minimal hyzer/anhyzer angle) which I generally lean towards a slight hyzer. I think I can resolve this by going a lttile more low to high on the pull.