• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is it alright to 3?

doesn't really address the question of, at what specific hole length is a 1000-rated player *certain* to only get 3's? Or get very very close to an all-3's round, at least.

Oh.....I did not read the question to be asking that.

That is really impossible to answer as "1000 rated" engenders a variety of skills such as Driving Distance & Accuracy, Approach accuracy, Putting accuracy & distance, scrambling (creative recoveries), etc.

Some 1000-rated players cannot throw accurately more than around 320' (but have killer accuracy, consistency and putting). For them the distance is probably in the 375' range.

Others can drive consistently 500' but are not so accurate, do not have consistent upshots and are not great putters. But on an open course, they would average 3's at closer to probably 800'

The 445' as jeverett points out, is the combined average based on tons of players recording scores for tons of rounds....which is really the only useful number in this discussion in my mind.

Or get very very close to an all-3's round, at least.

To specifically answer this is easy.......at least on a player-by-player basis: ~70' longer than the player's long drive (for the wide open course we are talking about).

To specifically answer this is easy.......at least on a player-by-player basis: ~70' longer than the player's long drive (for the wide open course we are talking about).

They don't 2 nearly every time from more than 70' out?

No. And no one throws their max drive every drive. Usually at least 20' short of that.

1000 rated seems mystical to many......and I think some of that is from watching highlight reels or watching 1040 rated players throw 1080 rated rounds.

Yeah, but that accounts for pros hitting 10% from 80' or something. They aren't expected to do hit any particular 80' putt, though.

While SSE/SSA are useful tools for this discussion, they are not the answer to the question.

I might have had another "morning moment" explaining that too, but this is about what's expected on an individual hole which, on a course with 18 of them a pro would be expected to shoot 54 making only typical shots. Anything atypical, like a 30'+ putt, is accounted for in SSE/SSA, but not my question.

So, you're trying find out when 3 is "the score an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two throws from close range to hole out"?

In other words, what does a REAL par 3 look like?

I don't understand why you think hitting 30'+ putts for a 1000 rated player is atypical?

I know 950 rated players who hit a couple 30'+ putts a round routinely.

^^Yep. A good putting routine will elevate your game, that's for sure.

The top pros always amaze me because they have the complete game under control. Putting, driving, approaching, mental, get out of trouble, consistency...the whole ball of wax.

If you're trying to figure out holes that 1000-rated players normally get/expect to get/average a 3 on, it doesn't matter how they do it---by placing their 2nd shot next to the pole and making a gimme, or by placing their 2nd shot 25-30 feet out and making the putt, or by place it 50' out and making the long putt. What matters is that if, say, they get a 2 20% of the time (by parking the drive, or making the long putt), they also get a 4 20% of the time (by blowing their drive or upshot, or missing that 25-30' putt).

There are a variety of ways to get a 2, 3, or 4....but it's how they average out that's important.

30 foot putts certainly aren't automatic, but in ideal conditions with no obstacles they're also not exceedingly difficult. I would expect myself to make a few of those out of every ten for sure.

525 sounds like he answer to me. I would say the top level players get up and down from that distance about, I would say, 5 out of 18. And that would produce about a 1050 round which is about right.

However, this course would be terrible because it would very easy for an average player with some skill - say 940 - to shoot 54 and the scoring seperation would be a joke.

You basically are creating a par 4 version of pitch and putt.

We are trying to answer a pointless question, because any good golf course has obstacles and variation is shot selection. We are trying to figure out what distance most pros would score 3 on an extremely boring course, which has no variety? Why? The theoretical hole being described should not exist on any good course.

Par 3 version of a pitch and putt .. but w/e

So at 500', 3 is a bad score?

It would never be a bad score. Even top players might get a 2 on that hole 2/3 of the time (assuming it's basically in an open field). Most of us mere mortals would be happy with a 3, or even a 4.