• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When people say aviars, wizards, comets etc. should be going 300+ ft...

RoundWounds

Eagle Member
...what kind of line are they flying? Is this an S curve? Dead straight? A long hyzer line? Long anhyzer line?

I am not sure they should be going that far, but many people can get them that far. When my Prodiscus Jokeri goes 280 it is mostly straight.

I can throw my Wizard almost dead straight about 310. I don't throw aviars or comets so I'm not sure about those, I would guess a lot of people who throw putters 300' could throw those 300' dead straight as well. If you're talking about more than that then yeah there probably is some left/right action.

Go watch some Mike C videos and see how he was throwing his wizards, I think he has a field practice video where he's throwing comets as well.

Just normal straight lines. It doesn't take power, it just takes timing.

I saw that video of the guy hyzerflipping his magnets 400 feet. I think it depends on the thrower. People who can throw drivers 500 are throwing putters 400, people who throw drivers 400 are throwing putters 300, etc. So people with more powere can probably get a straighter line out of a putter thrown 300, than a player with less power who has to hyzer flip it to get that kind of distance. I saw a pro throw a roc 500 feet in an exhibition, and it was a hyzer flip, but I don't think he turns to his roc for 500 foot shots in competition. I know some really good players with long arms who drive holes with putters, but usually ony holes out to 200 or maybe 250 in some cases.

Yeah it's usually pretty straight. It's not that easy to flex putters unless they are very overstable, and even then it barely if at all gets more distance. Hyzer flips are fine, if I am throwing a putter for max distance i throw my newish KC aviar flat. It is very HSS

with my challengers it's a slightly anny'ing straight, if that makes sense

good to about 310~

high as a kite

I think that height is the most consistent requirement for shots like these. I love me some Comets, but I struggle to break 280-300 in low ceiling situations (unless it slides). It's even more exaggerated with putters imo. My longest throws with putters and Comets come from high turnover shots, preferably with some elevation.

I can throw a ton of lines with my Wizard out to 250' but anything past that is a straight hyzer flip.

Here are some of Mikes Vids,

When I throw my mids and putters for D, I do it as with drivers. Take a understable one, throw it on a hiiigh hyzer flip. It's fun :)

Or I just throw my buzzz straight.

I throw my putter 100 feet and in!!! Anything farther well thats why they make mid's and drivers.

I throw my putter 100 feet and in!!! Anything farther well thats why they make mid's and drivers.
Putters were drivers when they first came out.

I wouldn't say that they "should" go 300'. It's more like they can handle the power to go 300' in a straight line. How far you "should" throw is up to you. If there's a specific context, like a person wants to learn to throw fairway drivers 350', 400' or some other distance like that, then they should work on getting their putters and/or mids out to 300' along with working on throwing what ever other drivers they're throwing.

Up to even 400' with putters CAN be straight, even farther if your form is good. It all depends on how good your form is. A true measure of your potential distance is a straight line throw with any speed. (Obviously certain disc can't achieve this due to stability) The others can and will work, just depends on the shot needed.

Mids should fly a bit farther, but all dependant on form and your total distance potential.

And if you would like to throw a nice straight shot with zero fade to land safely on a fairway, and avoid risks, putters are a great choice. Doesnt matter if it is 125' or 300'. If you want to limit risks, putters are solid choices. I love it when my buddy makes a great 250' shot with his Z Nuke and it skips about 30' into the woods. Then I make a nice safe shot with a putter that sticks in the fairway.

If you really want to see someone throw that far arrange a meet-up. Put beer on the line. You live in a part of the country where there should be a couple willing to take you up on it. Either no one takes you up on it and you're right or you lose a bunch of beer and finally shut up on this topic.

I threw a VooDoo about 270' last Thurs warming up before a round w/ SillyBizz. Not a regular occurance yet but I have only been working on correcting my form with tips here for the last couple of months. Before finding this site I would have been very skeptical too. Sure, there may be some inflation, but not near as much as you want to think.

Now quit being a pain and go do some field work! :)

I'm so very glad I made that video for threads like this.

How about all you skeptics go out and do some field practice so you can throw putters 300' instead of just coming on here and challenging every person who says they can. I understood the skepticism that I could throw the ace race disc 300+ but now we're talking about a Wizard... is it really that hard to believe?