• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] When you were first starting out...

Whamo Midnight Flyer 71C* - 161g
Followed by an Aviar, and an Aero, and a Super Puppy

The only one I don't still have is the Aviar, which is in the middle of the pond at Carpenter State Park in DE

Champion Sidewinder started out throwing it on a hyzer then I was getting it to go dead nuts straight and now it is super touchy so I hung it on the wall.

Started with a used polecat that I got for $.50 at a yard sale, dx beast, and dx shark. My only ace was with the polecat! I lost the beast about two months later and still throw the shark.
Now own about 25 discs and have found that this is an addicting type of sport. The good throws get you pumped and the occasional great throws make you want to play again!!

Started out playing with DX Eagles, Cheetahs, and Valkyries. I sometimes wish my disc selection was that limited nowadays. I've got a hefty bag of 18 discs with everything from a Z-Force to a Pro Starfire.

I first started playing with discs like this:

picture.php

This was the 1st golf specific disc that I bought:

picture.php

My first disc was an Aviar XD. I bought it from a dude in the parking lot at Albert-Oakland the first time I played. My buddy bought a Phantom+. Neither one of us really had all that much fun and both discs were in the trunk of my car for a long time. I'm pretty sure they were still in the truck when I sold that car.

I found that Academy sold discs so I went up there and bought a DX Wraith, DX Shark and and R-Pro Aviar. Then next day I went out to the closest course I could find and spent five hours trying to get one round in. I finally got back on the internet and found this site. I bought a bunch of mids and spent the next month in a field trying to make them fly right and practicing putting on the practice basket at the course. The field was the soccer filed at the course as well. After a month of this I started to play on a course again and things went a lot smoother.

When I started I was given an Avair and a Roc, that was in 1992. The Cali pro's at the time that were teaching me said "don't throw anything else, not until you can throw an avair 200ft+." I thought they were joking, until I seen a guy bomb an Avair 350ft at Shady Oaks (OV) DGC.
I wonder what that Roc I had is worth now??

I bought 3 after my first round.

#1 Slice
DX Panther
DX Scorpion

Yeah.... no putter. :eek:

My first set up was a dx dragon, orc, star stingray, and a dx aviar. I still remember how overstable that orc was when I first started. I ended up throwin the dragon into the Truckee River on accident. I got a call 4-5 days later. Some fisherman found it floating down the river 20 miles away. I soon realized the dragon was garbage and stepped up to a beast. Man how things have changed. I still have the aviar, orc, and the stingray which got me my first ace. I told the fisherman to give the dragon to his grandchildren.

When I first started the first disc I threw was a Stingray.

The first discs I bought were:

DX Classic Big Bead Aviar
DX Stingray
DX Cobra
Champion Banshee
DX Eagle
DX Cheetah
Champion Valkyrie

The Banshee I miss.Lost it yeas ago.This disc gave me 4 aces when I first started(when i didn't know what I was doing).Now since I know what I'm doing I would lucky to hit an ace. :D. I guess that's how it goes though lol.

I really have no idea what the first disc I ever threw was. I borrowed a friends disc and didn't pay much attention. The first disc I ever bothered to look at was a JLS, it was the first I could control worth anything. I got a JLS, monarch, cobra, and omega ss to start off. I've since lost the JLS and cobra, but but another JLS. I don't use the monarch or omega anymore.

I used a 150 class DX circle stamp Shark for the first 6 months I played then I broke down and got a Champ Leopard.

Maybe I'm alone on this.

Anyone remember when all you could get was low end plastic. You would pick a disc based on how cool the picture of the creature was on the flight plate, because BC surf and sport did not have flight charts for the discs. All you knew about a disc was it's a driver, midrange, or putter.

How many people bought a Viper, Scorpion, or Whippet and could not throw them for ****. :wall:

As for me I started with:
Cyclone
COBRA!!! Retreat
Polecat

Last edited:
My first disc(s) were the innova starter set. I had lived literally 2 blocks from a course for 3 and a half years before I decided to buy some discs. Since then I haven't turned back.

Latest posts