• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where does all the am money go in tournments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect most U.S. players and even TDs don't realize that the PDGA payout tables built into the International TD report only have 25%, 33% and 40% payout options versus the 40%, 45% and 50% options in the U.S. version.

Would this difference be due to the level of growth in the US vs other areas of the world?

So you must not go shopping or anything like that right? No offense but that is the most ridiculous argument ever... so it's up to YOU to determine that when I run a tournament it's "volunteer"... do you get paid to so what you do at your job?
You missed my point. I like knowing that I'm supporting a course and the volunteers that maintain it or a charity. I'm not trying to say that making a buck from running a tournament is wrong, or that I know for a fact that a TD even makes a profit, its just not something I'm interested in.

Maybe the person making the buck does do the majority of work, but there are almost always others. I can't think of a single well run tournament with over 50 players where all the work is done by 1 person.

Maybe you need to get out more LOL... most of my events I ran by myself. A few helpers day of to help set up the course but it's really not that difficult to plan and a run an event by yourself if you know what you are doing.

You missed my point. I like knowing that I'm supporting a course and the volunteers that maintain it or a charity. I'm not trying to say that making a buck from running a tournament is wrong, or that I know for a fact that a TD even makes a profit, its just not something I'm interested in.

Then how do you expect people to want to run events then? If there isn't any incentive to run an event, why would td's do them? Yeah maybe once or twice but after the initial excitement of running an event wears off there needs to be some kind of incentive to do all the work and take the risk.

With that mentality, the sport will never grow and you will see a lot less events.

Where does all of this hatred for people making a profit come from??? I think it's hysterical that in the same conversation we have people that "expect" a return on their investment for playing an amateur sport AND people that want TD's to do it out of the kindness of their hearts and not take a profit... So it's ok for you to get some kind of financial gain but not ok for the person that takes the risk and the time to put on the event??? Am I the only one that sees the hypocritical nature in this?

I think it's hysterical that in the same conversation we have people that "expect" a return on their investment for playing an amateur sport AND people that want TD's to do it out of the kindness of their hearts and not take a profit...

Priceless.

I think it's hysterical that in the same conversation we have people that "expect" a return on their investment for playing an amateur sport AND people that want TD's to do it out of the kindness of their hearts and not take a profit...
picture.php

Maybe you need to get out more LOL... most of my events I ran by myself. A few helpers day of to help set up the course but it's really not that difficult to plan and a run an event by yourself if you know what you are doing.

so the help those people give day of is meaningless? maybe you need to read my post a little closer. You spend 10 hours before the tournament and 3 people show up an hour and a half early to set up, take ace pool money or whatever else. you profit but they deserve nothing because you did more?

and yeah its tough to believe there are people out there who do nice things for others for free, but there are. I think the term is "giving back". Is it really tough for you to believe that some people would give up 1 weekend a year to volunteer their time for a sport that is basically free, built on the backs of previous volunteers? Based on your logic no one should ever run an ice bowl or other charity event since TDs often don't make money at these. I played in one today that raised 6k+ for charity- but man that TD is an idiot for putting in a lot of time for something he lost money at, right?

btw I've played across the country, been on tour, and played overseas. I get out haha

Last edited:
Then how do you expect people to want to run events then? If there isn't any incentive to run an event, why would td's do them? Yeah maybe once or twice but after the initial excitement of running an event wears off there needs to be some kind of incentive to do all the work and take the risk.

With that mentality, the sport will never grow and you will see a lot less events.

Where does all of this hatred for people making a profit come from??? I think it's hysterical that in the same conversation we have people that "expect" a return on their investment for playing an amateur sport AND people that want TD's to do it out of the kindness of their hearts and not take a profit... So it's ok for you to get some kind of financial gain but not ok for the person that takes the risk and the time to put on the event??? Am I the only one that sees the hypocritical nature in this?
I don't expect anyone to do anything out of the kindness of their hearts but I choose to support those that do. If a TD runs a course fundraiser or charity event are they putting in less time or taking less of a risk than someone who runs an event for profit?

I don't expect anyone to do anything out of the kindness of their hearts but I choose to support those that do. If a TD runs a course fundraiser or charity event are they putting in less time or taking less of a risk than someone who runs an event for profit?

No, and I nor anyone else never said they did :wall: I support charity events all of the time. I honestly have no idea what your point is?

so the help those people give day of is meaningless? maybe you need to read my post a little closer. You spend 10 hours before the tournament and 3 people show up an hour and a half early to set up, take ace pool money or whatever else. you profit but they deserve nothing because you did more?

and yeah its tough to believe there are people out there who do nice things for others for free, but there are. I think the term is "giving back". Is it really tough for you to believe that some people would give up 1 weekend a year to volunteer their time for a sport that is basically free, built on the backs of previous volunteers? Based on your logic no one should ever run an ice bowl or other charity event since TDs often don't make money at these. I played in one today that raised 6k+ for charity- but man that TD is an idiot for putting in a lot of time for something he lost money at, right?

btw I've played across the country, been on tour, and played overseas. I get out haha

Please go back and find the place where I said volunteers don't deserve anything or their help is meaningless . I have ran events and I have volunteered at many many more. Just like the other person, I don't have the first clue what your point is. I play in and support charity events all of the time as well as for profit events. The two models are not mutually exclusive to each other.

But you are insanely naive if you think that a a-tier or NT event is basically a couple hours of prep time with a couple volunteers. These are major events that take 6-12 months of prep time and weeks of labor in course preparation, marketing material, event planning, organization, etc. You have a job, and for some reason you aren't opposed to getting paid for your time and labor (I am assuming all of that, if it's not true I apologize right now). So why is it ok for you to be compensated for your time but a TD should not be?

Not knowing where the money goes is the main reason I won't play events other than charity or course fundraisers. I'm not comfortable with someone making a buck off of others volunteer work.

So you must not go shopping or anything like that right? No offense but that is the most ridiculous argument ever... so it's up to YOU to determine that when I run a tournament it's "volunteer"... do you get paid to so what you do at your job?

No, and I nor anyone else never said they did :wall: I support charity events all of the time. I honestly have no idea what your point is?
I'm just defending myself because you went off on a tirade because I said I prefer to support charity or course fundraiser events.

I'm just defending myself because you went off on a tirade because I said I prefer to support charity or course fundraiser events.

If I remember correctly, and yes I am to damn tired to go back and look... it seemed like you said you would only support charity events.

I still can't seem to find anyone that can explain to me why it's such a horrible thing to get paid for your time in putting an event together...even though most TD's don't even do that.

If I remember correctly, and yes I am to damn tired to go back and look... it seemed like you said you would only support charity events.

I still can't seem to find anyone that can explain to me why it's such a horrible thing to get paid for your time in putting an event together...even though most TD's don't even do that.
I shouldn't say I only support charity because there is a local TD who does a lot for disc golf and I plan on playing some of his events this year, charity or not.

I mainly support charity events because to me that's what this game is about. Volunteers build courses, volunteers maintain courses, I can get behind playing an event to help them improve their course or make money for a charity they're passionate about.

So the objection is to a TD making a profit, with volunteers helping him who are not?

If the TD is making a small profit---and, if he's making any profit, it's sure to be small---don't you think those volunteers know it? They have chosen to volunteer. I'll bet they want people to play in the event they're helping with.

Why would they volunteer? I don't know. Perhaps because any TD making a profit is almost certainly someone who has "given back" to the game in many other ways. It's not like a lot of non-disc-golfers have invaded our parks, to line their pockets running tournaments.

Around here, at least, the odds are that the profit-making TD has volunteered more time to disc golf than the vast majority of the profit-making players (at least judging by attendance at work days, club meetings, and tournament planning sessions). Why not support him, with a small amount of volunteer time at his tournament, or by playing in it?

I shouldn't say I only support charity because there is a local TD who does a lot for disc golf and I plan on playing some of his events this year, charity or not.

Oops, I posted before re-reading this. Just ignore me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts