• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which do you prefer, Wraith or Surge?

Golf_tx_turf

Which do you prefer, Innova Champ Wraith or Discraft ESP Surge?
Which do you find more consistent and find more distance when thrown?

It's been a while since I've thrown a surge, but I remember them being pretty darn close. With a little practice I think I could replace wraiths with surges pretty easily.

Surge is the more consistant thrower especially in z. All the wraiths I've used have been very different.

When I first fell in love with Wraiths, I was a die-hard Discraft-only thrower. Naturally people pointed me to the Surge as a Discraft alternative, but after picking up about 5 of them, I just couldn't get them to fly like a Wraith for me. I now own 8 Wraiths in 3 plastics, and have finally dumped all of my Surges.

Your experience may be VERY different, so my advice would be to get out there and try them for yourself.

Star Wraith is my main driver. I do also carry an ESP Surge in a lower weight.
I think the Surge is an easier disc to find replacements for, where as Wraiths are very inconsistent from disc to disc so finding replacements is harder. That's why most of us Wraith throwers already have tried and tested back-up Wraiths just waiting to be called up to the bag.

I find them to be very similar but the Surge is slightly easier to throw (just a hair slower), but if you have the power I prefer the Wraith. In a pinch I could use both interchangeably though.

I prefer wraiths myself just because i threw them before the surge and decided there was no point in switching discs. Now i have about 5 wraiths and 1 First Run Surge that just collects dust.

I like the Surge, but I too prefer them in Z plastic.

I like the flight and feel of Wraiths better. I think they have a little less HSS than my ESP Surge. And I get about 50' more D out of my Pro and DX Wraiths than I could out of my Surge, but maybe that's just because I never took the trouble to really beat it in.

Used to throw wraiths. Now I throw surges. I can't tell the difference (threw champ wraiths and z surges). My advice is to throw whichever one you can get a better deal on because they really do the same thing in the air.

I prefer the Wraiths. I have 2 Z Surges and they are very understable. I realize that 2 discs from the same run is not a big enough sample to make a solid generalization about Surges but the Wraith has been very consistent for me so why "fix" it?

I love domey Pro Wraiths. If ESP Surges consistently fly like a domey Pro Wraith then I will check them out. So far my experience with Z Surges tells me otherwise.

Slower Arm Speeds - Nate Doss Surge - seems to flip a lil easier and fade less than the std run.
Faster Arm Speeds - Wraith - i think it holds power and accepts input better than the surge. they also have a unique stability and beat-in range between plastics.

Surge. For me. IMO it's straighter, more consistent mold per mold, easier to throw, and glidey-er(read:longer).

Had a 170ish Nate Doss Surge, it bombed. I'd highly recommend one.

Same difference; either, or; two peas in a pod; comparing apples to apples; oh, how do I put it?... They're virtually the same disc.

While the flight will differ based on the grade of plastic used, one can usually find a Wraith/Surge that will do what a your Surge/Wraith does, respectively.

I liked FR Surges better than Wraiths, but I like Wraiths better than all of the Surges since the FR. Why Discraft debuted a disc and new plastic, only to totally change it after the FR is baffling and frustrating. FR Surges bomb...They go dramatically farther than the ESPs or Zs, and are on par with Pro Wraiths distance wise, but more durable and predictable.

I liked FR Surges better than Wraiths, but I like Wraiths better than all of the Surges since the FR. Why Discraft debuted a disc and new plastic, only to totally change it after the FR is baffling and frustrating. FR Surges bomb...They go dramatically farther than the ESPs or Zs, and are on par with Pro Wraiths distance wise, but more durable and predictable.

Couldn't agree more!
any of you Wraith lovers have any FR surges you'd like to sell???