• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Which lid?

Which lid or lid-like disc should I get?

• Aero

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Condor

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Polecat

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Rattler

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Sonic

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Zephyr

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
Superhero, polecat, rattler. The superhero will distinguish itself the most for short trick shots, layups and not mess with the rest of your bag. Very light and fun to run stuff with all the time. Not as huge as a zephyr and is in champ. The polecat is amazing all around and is a workhorse. The rattler is an awesome layup and long putt disc for nose up stuff, but i don't like it as much for anything else because of how deep it is.

Last edited:
I'd like to add a lid or lid-like disc to the bag...
What are you hoping to get out of a lid?

What kind of courses do you play? Heavily wooded, open, or a mixture?

Answering questions like these might help us give you better suggestions.

I absolutely adore lids on my insanely tightly wooded courses. On open courses I rarely ever use my lids.

FWIW, My current favorites are the 150g polecat or the 150g Sonic. Lighter discs accentuate the desirable lid qualities. Either one is capable of carving up the tightest of forests but the tighter it gets the more likely I am to use the Sonic.

Rattlers and Putt'rs are also good options but I have not seen them available in weights lighter than 160g. These discs have a more rounded profile than the Polecat; this feels better in some peoples' hands... but not mine.

Larger diameter options are the Zephyr and Makani. The venerable UltraStar is also a good choice. Unfortunately, when most people ask for lids for DG they are not looking for these larger discs. They are fantastic options but won't fit into many DG bags.

I should've explained that in the first place. I'm thinking that a lid might be nice for low-energy precision approach shots. Glidey and neutral are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.
Sorry, I musthave overlooked this post.
Pretty much anything on your list are able to perform the shots you described. What it really comes down to is which disc's geometry feels best for you and gives you the confidence that you need to make the shots. Do you have any stores near you where you can feel these before buying?

After reading this post, I will stick by my original recommendation of Polecat or Sonic.
The Polecat is neutral and the Sonic is understable. But for the shorter distances (<150')where I use the sonic, it acts more neutral stable.

I like both models but I'd give the nod to the Polecat for being slightly more versatile and robust.

I broke a 175g Sonic during my first or second round with it when I drove it into a tree. My 150g Sonic is >50 rounds old and hasn't broken. I don't throw it like i threw the 175. The 175 got drives where I tried to stretch out to 200' and the 150 is only used for gentle approaches 150 feet or under. It is fantastic in that role!

Hope this helps!

I love throwing zephyrs.
Any weight and either DX or Blizzard plastic are fun.
But I would recommend a DX in the 180g -200g
For your first one, just to try one out.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a 150 Polecat, and I might try a few of the others too. Thanks much, folks!

Sure thing!
Let us know how it works out for you!
And if you don't like it then I'm sure one of us would likely buy it off if you :)

I love Condors and Zephyrs for casual and 1 disc rounds, but I would never normally bag them because of the storage difficulty. If I were to bag a lid it would be a Polecat all the way. I bring them out for some of the local short courses.

An actual lid? Champ/Dx Zephyr and Birdie. I have a Champion Birdie that i use for dead straight approaches i need to just sit at whatever range i need. Its also great for turbo putts. Need to get some backups but they'e stupid hard to find.

Zephyr is nice for when you need all the glide you can get and to sit down when it gets tired of gliding forever. Needs very little power to just float, even the 200 gr Blizz champs.

I have a polekitty I have that i don't use. just never felt right. I should give it another shot.

I love Condors and Zephyrs for casual and 1 disc rounds, but I would never normally bag them because of the storage difficulty. If I were to bag a lid it would be a Polecat all the way. I bring them out for some of the local short courses.

I can fit a condor and zephyr in the putter pocket of my voodoo mojo.

Lightning upshot.

It is back in production and a great lid mold. The 115-130g ones are less stable but glide like hell. Heavy have little more stability yet still glide well too. You cant get any cheaper and the new plastic blends seem legit.

The upshot#2 is not the same.

Rattlers and Putt'rs are also good options but I have not seen them available in weights lighter than 160g. These discs have a more rounded profile than the Polecat; this feels better in some peoples' hands... but not mine.

The Rattler is available in less then 160g. I have one at home.

Li'l Wizz, ~100g.
End. Of. DISCussion.

Isn't it too small to use in PDGA rounds?

Perhaps the best part about Polecats not yet mentioned? If you like it and want more/replacements, they're probably the easiest to get for this type of disc.

I can fit a condor and zephyr in the putter pocket of my voodoo mojo.

This is good to hear I too have a Voodoo mojo but never thought zephyr would come close to fitting in the putter pocket. When you said both did you mean at the same time this would be great and a reason to buy more plastics

This is good to hear I too have a Voodoo mojo but never thought zephyr would come close to fitting in the putter pocket. When you said both did you mean at the same time this would be great and a reason to buy more plastics

Both at the same time. I have the bottoms facing each other like one of those stash mins, and I still have a fairway driver in the pocket with them. I could probably fit another disc between the two of them too.

I'll try putting them both in in the more traditional putter style later today to see how they fit.

torn between polecat & zephyr but voted kitty cuz it's more like a golf disc. the zephyr is great for one disc rounds in the snow.

I would recommend the Zephyr or Condor.

The Zephyr is a great disc to warm up with before playing a round. It's very much a point and shoot disc so you will be able to put it on any angle and have it hold a line for the entire flight. It's great for approaches and dead-straight shots.

The Condor is a different animal. It's like an oversized Roc but much slower. This disc is another great option for approach shots or driving shorter holes. I've seen players have some success throwing this one downhill off the tee. It's also a great roller disc. This thing is a tank and will roll over about anything in the fairway.

Both the Zephyr and Condor are solid options for windy days. They are PDGA approved for up to 200 grams. Just as a side note: The Zephyr may be used in Superclass events while the Condor may not!

Both at the same time. I have the bottoms facing each other like one of those stash mins, and I still have a fairway driver in the pocket with them. I could probably fit another disc between the two of them too.

I'll try putting them both in in the more traditional putter style later today to see how they fit.

I know a sonic fit's into a Condor nicely but didn't know a condor fit's into a Zephyr. I just tried to put one of my 1980 Frisbee super pro's in the putter pocket and it fits but was slightly bent. I guess I never noticed just how wide the pocket is thanks for the insight&#55357;&#56833;