• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which midrange is the straighest you have?

Dogma said:
I haven't thrown the ESP version that's coming from the PDGA, but I've held some and they don't feel like X Storms to me at all.

They're really not like a storm...They flip, out of the box... I'd say they're more like a really beat in X storm. Really, I liked the Z storm best for straightness, though...

Buzzz

Elite Z thrown hard and flat or very slight hyzer

Seasoned Pro-D for low power shots or hyzer flip up shots.

Ive seen a skeeter thrown insanely straight on a hyzer flip up shot too, but ive never thrown one myself.

Jaysus said:
how would you compare the break in process on a d Buzzz to that of a dx Roc?

Brand new a D buzz will fly like a broken in Roc. But the Buzzz breaks in very quickly and gets pretty flippy. Thats the way I like em though, they make a great flippy midrange.

Pro D is probably the least durable plastic out there, but it also one of the grippiest and best feeling.

adidadg said:
Jaysus said:

Brand new a D buzz will fly like a broken in Roc. But the Buzzz breaks in very quickly and gets pretty flippy. Thats the way I like em though, they make a great flippy midrange.

Pro D is probably the least durable plastic out there, but it also one of the grippiest and best feeling.

I am actually looking for a flippy midrange.... so, yeah - thanks!

Jaysus said:
adidadg said:
Jaysus said:

Cool, they go for cheap so its worth a try. I recommend getting one in Max weight though, lighter ones will get too flippy to be of much use.

adidadg said:
Ive seen a skeeter thrown insanely straight on a hyzer flip up shot too, but ive never thrown one myself.
Yup. Similar to a Coyote in that it is dead straight, but can be turned over if you're careless. Goblin is similar, but shorter. I guess that's the nature of any "straight" disc though. A good throw can be a thing of beauty, but since it's just stable instead of overstable it won't fight back if you accidentally send it right. Straight = less predictable. Or at least less tolerant of sloppiness. Whether it works for you over time is a cost/benefit of how often you can throw the super straight line vs. how often you send it off into oblivion.

straitest i have is a perfectly seasoned DX Roc, straitest i carry right now is a gummy special edition Aurora MS

adidadg said:
Jaysus said:
adidadg said:
Jaysus said:

Cool, they go for cheap so its worth a try. I recommend getting one in Max weight though, lighter ones will get too flippy to be of much use.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that. I have a 178 z Buzzzz that I just have not been tossing much since I got my z Wasp. Figured I'd use it more if it was uber flippy... also figured that a lighter d Buzzz would break in to that easily. I have no experience with the Discraft d plastic, so I'll keep the extra weight in mind.

That being said, my other option is to buy a new Roc, and go back to carrying them - I already have a trashed, and a worn roc, so the addition of a new may fill the same roll as the wasp/buzzz combo I envision.

Ok, I'm ranting... and off topic - I blame it on the coffeee.

Thanks

taylor714 said:
I use a Roc right now...But I'm considering picking up a Comet
The Comet freaks around here are very persuasive, aren't they. :)

If you want to try a flippy buzzz, a heavy Pro-D one is the way to go, but if you find it gets broken in too quickly check out an ESP one of a lighter weight.

taylor714 said:
I use a Roc right now...But I'm considering picking up a Comet

One thing of note with the Comet... The Buzz, Roc, and all the other discs mentioned have to be beat in before they fly straight. The Comet does it out of the box, and you can still throw beautiful hyzers with them, even after they beat in!

For over 75% power my esp buzz is dead straight. For over 50% my beat 175 md1 flies the same. The coyote is flies very straight, but it seems like more of a midrange/putter hybrid.

Latest posts