• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why a "Backpack" Style bag?

people just need to use thier straps properly! I see them hanging so low that yes, it is an issue. I have mine fitted high and tight, and they feel and work like a regular backpack! I have a gateway backpack but it feels like Im carting a giant bag around the course, so I use a fade with straps.

Using equipment properly

people just need to use thier straps properly! I see them hanging so low that yes, it is an issue. I have mine fitted high and tight, and they feel and work like a regular backpack!

I couldn't agree more with that statement!

Agree with above post. My issue with my DGA straps is they would never hold where I wanted them adjusted. I've solved the issue with athletic tape. Keeps them perfectly adjusted, ridin high and tight.

If your young with a strong back,,,any bag is fine. But for me, my old latitude pro bag would make my back hurt all the time. After a tourney i was barely walking the next day. I think the cause is that some bags extend so far out from your back that it kinda yanks you backward a little. I noticed i used to walk around tilted slightly forward to compensate for this (which would cause back pain). Since i changed to the Grip bag i have no issues. I can actually play more rounds per week simply because of the bag change. Pretty huge. If i was 20yrs younger any bag would be fine though.

people just need to use thier straps properly! I see them hanging so low that yes, it is an issue. I have mine fitted high and tight, and they feel and work like a regular backpack!

I couldn't agree more with that statement!

word

I haven't tried a backpack style bag.
All I can envision is my back turning into a hot mess.
A hot, sweaty mess.
That, and when I think about how many times I'd take the pack on and off again,
a "satchel" style bag seems more sensical to me.

I carry an Innova bag with the caddy pack stool, for me I just don't think I would use a stool if it wasn't attached. If i had to keep strapping it up I probably wouldn't use it.

One nice advantage I saw last year with a back pack though was during a downpour. Everyone was sprinting off the course to avoid lightning. There wasn't much cover and we all just tried to make a break for it. My Innova bag really held me up from moving fast.

Not a huge disadvantage but it felt that way at the time.

Overall I am happy with my bag, id like to be able to carry more clothing but its not too big of a deal, just keep it in the car. I like that I can carry 2 32 ounce bottle of water as well as plenty of discs, which is great for practice days.

I haven't tried a backpack style bag.
All I can envision is my back turning into a hot mess.
A hot, sweaty mess.
That, and when I think about how many times I'd take the pack on and off again,
a "satchel" style bag seems more sensical to me.

heat was never an issue for me, even in La. The second part of your post is why I love my Innova Deluxe, and put my pack away.

I don't think the backpack style bags are a fad. I used my Innova deluxe for the better part of a year before my gf got me a grip and I had no problem with it. Thought it was a great bag and was happy as is replaced my school backpack that I had to dig through. The first couple days with the grip I loved how light it felt but didn't really understand how great it was till I tried a round out with my old Innova deluxe. Having that thing on my right shoulder all day, taking it off just to putt in a 7 footer, it was exhausting. Got my grip back the next day and traded that ID bag for a no-name star destroyer he found. The backpack just feels so much better for me and does everything I could want it to. If It had a tad more storage space that would be great, but other than that I can't imagine anything but it.

Why I use a backpack style bag

I use a back pack because I was broke when I first started playing and just carried the discs I had in that. My step dad gave me one of those techie backpacks with all the little pockets and thick straps. I found I could fold/tuck the zipper flap when it was fully unzipped, and it would leave my discs exposed for easy access.

There is a laptop sleeve that I have modified with some safety pins that hold 2 putters up away from the other discs.

It stands up when set down, and there is a nice sturdy handle at the top. Easy to grab for upshot walks/post putting. I will pop it over one shoulder or both depending on terrain/weather. Padded on the back, thick padded straps, and a waist cinch should you get adventurous and jump over a stream :)

Depending on the ratio of mids and drivers I can easily fit 20 discs, including the two putters. I can fit a 32 oz drink, and have plenty of pocket space for cigs, wallet, keys, phone, snacks and I have a towel on a quick release.

Last and most important; it was free! I have a monster bag on the way that will be my new tourney bag, but this has lasted 3 years no problem.

I disagree. I've had an innova deluxe & competition bags, as well as a voodoo mojo and have used innova & pheonix quads. Whether they were up tight on my back or hanging on my buttox, my back would start aching around 18 to 27 holes. After switching to a grip, I can play 36+ holes and still feel ready to play more. Just my opinion and experience with both.

I can't agree with this statement!

If your young with a strong back,,,any bag is fine.

With this, young or old, it shouldn't matter! If you have some form of medical condition that prohibits certain things then sure, but to say young with a strong back I don't agree with. For me personally, I'm 30 and my lower back is messed up and I have a condition with my legs called, exhaustive compartment syndrome ( In short, my legs get fatigued from exercise, and it causes extreme pain). My injuries are related to my Military Service, but none of this has stopped me from still keeping myself in somewhat descent shape. At the end of the day it's on the person to keep themselves in some form of good shape!

If your young with a strong back,,,any bag is fine.

True for a single round, but having a bag that sits well on you and doesn't pull you in awkward directions makes a huge deal over a long tournament day or a day where you play 4+ rounds.

Also, I can carry more discs in a regular bag than a backpack (at least a GRIP bag). I carry 20-23 discs in my Innova bag, but my friends with GRIPS can barely carry 16-18.

Either you friend only carries mids and putters, or your information is inaccurate.
I carry a 'complete' bag (drivers, fw drivers, mids, putters) and currently have 20 discs bagged w/room for a couple more in my Grip.

The only reason I pre-ordered the Physical Flight Contender is because they have gone above and beyond other companies efforts in making a back that is better on your lower back.
I am switching from a tourney style bag with backpack style straps.

How has PF gone above and beyond?

I think you should buy whatever you want but I think some has to do with comfort and some has to do with fad. I know someone that buys every new bag that comes out and this particular person has only been playing about 4 years and must have like 5 or 6 bags. The funniest part of this was seeing this person shortly after starting in disc golf carrying a Mahal one day and a couple of days later he had the Mahal in a stroller ($250 bag and $100 stroller). Several months later a Grip appeared with no stroller. To grow the sport I think Babies R Us should be approached to sponsor events as I see so many strollers on the course not only utilized by older players but teenagers and 20 somethings.

...I can carry more discs in a regular bag than a backpack (at least a GRIP bag). I carry 20-23 discs in my Innova bag, but my friends with GRIPS can barely carry 16-18.
I carry 23 in my Cabela XPG: 20 on the bottom (5 mids,15 drivers) plus 3 in the "putter pocket" (2 putters and a Beast). Could fit more in the upper compartment if I wanted to, but 23 discs is more than enough, and I prefer to leave the top for storage. Love it! Plenty of capacity, plus storage, and more comfortable than my Fade Tourney with Phenix Quad shocks. The longer my day, the more I appreciate it.

Last edited: