• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are women not rated 1000+ rated?

You are trolling until you can provide research or statistics to back up your claim. I have provided 2 articles which you are free to read. The last one is credible and scholarly. :popcorn:

The last article you posted is certainly that. No arguments here, and the data is clear.

This is the first thing I said though:

I made the claim earlier, as strength/muscle mass isn't the sole factor in performance for many sports, even contact sport. There is a biological difference between men and women, for sure, but in a sport like disc golf, when 150lb men can throw a disc 500 ft, 160 lb women should be able to do the same. The physiological differences between the sexes arent significant enough for this sport (except that a girl did mention to me once that the shape of her chest did make driving kinda awkward), where technique and strategy outweigh maximum force abilities. I maintain that if women played disc golf with men all the time, their ratings would even out.
Of course, they may not all want to play with men, but that's another story.

The only thing I have to defend is that if more women played more often with men, they would be able to put up similar ratings to men on the disc golf course. I used the example of other women who have been able to physically keep up with men in other sports, despite a sociological tradition of separation and non support (http://www.e-library.esut.edu.ng/up...in-the-history-sociology-of-womens-sports.pdf). Of course it may not be true, but it doesn't seem all that far fetched to me looking at the current state of the game.

Then everyone got angry and tried to prove that men and women were different.

The last article you posted is certainly that. No arguments here, and the data is clear.

This is the first thing I said though:

The only thing I have to defend is that if more women played more often with men, they would be able to put up similar ratings to men on the disc golf course. I used the example of other women who have been able to physically keep up with men in other sports, despite a sociological tradition of separation and non support (http://www.e-library.esut.edu.ng/up...in-the-history-sociology-of-womens-sports.pdf). Of course it may not be true, but it doesn't seem all that far fetched to me looking at the current state of the game.

Then everyone got angry and tried to prove that men and women were different.

In an Indian village where gender roles are reversed, the gap in spatial abilities between genders ceases to exist. Basically, if males are culturally 'disadvantaged' they will still perform equally with culturally 'advantaged' females when it comes to spatial ability.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/08/gender-gap-in-spatial-reasoning-mia-in-matrilineal-society/

If things are culturally equal, based on anatomical differences alone, the male brain will have an inherent advantage when it comes to spatial capability. An elite male disc golfer has a biological advantage over an elite female disc golfer when it comes to the least physical part of the game - putting.

I feel like I am arguing with the nephew of my favorite grade school teacher. :D

It is foolish to look at the size of McBeth/Eagle and conclude that larger women of similar build/weight should be able to throw as well. In addition to strength advantages, arm speed and spatial coordinations (accuracy at distances) are generally far superior in men.

Look at throwing other sporting objects. Billy Wagner, Marcus Stroman, Pedro Martinez, Yordany Ventura are all "small guys", yet they could throw baseballs 97-100 mph and also create tremendous "movement" on their throws. No women, regardless of size/strength can come near these elite levels achieved by these "small men". Same goes for throwing a football (distance/accuracy), discus, shot put, javelin, etc. Tens of thousands of years of evolution have produced a male body that is much more equipped for "throwing things" (spears, rocks, etc) in order to survive. Female bodies selected other attributes for survival (of the species) advantages.

In an Indian village where gender roles are reversed, the gap in spatial abilities between genders ceases to exist. Basically, if males are culturally 'disadvantaged' they will still perform equally with culturally 'advantaged' females when it comes to spatial ability.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/08/gender-gap-in-spatial-reasoning-mia-in-matrilineal-society/

If things are culturally equal, based on anatomical differences alone, the male brain will have an inherent advantage when it comes to spatial capability. An elite male disc golfer has a biological advantage over an elite female disc golfer when it comes to the least physical part of the game - putting.

I feel like I am arguing with the nephew of my favorite grade school teacher. :D

Haha, good call :D

That male might have a biological advantage over the female, but even in pro sports, we constantly see biologically disadvantaged men outperform other men. How many little athletes are there out there who have heartwarming stories of "making it" despite being told they couldn't?

How many little athletes are there out there who have heartwarming stories of "making it" despite being told they couldn't?
For every one of those that do make it, there are thousands if not millions that don't ever make it regardless of how hard they work. It's usually the result of some genetic freakness along with hard work. Pee Wee McBeth dunking is genetic freakness IMO, like Spud Webb. How many women dunk?

For every one of those that do make it, there are thousands if not millions that don't ever make it regardless of how hard they work. It's usually the result of some genetic freakness along with hard work. Pee Wee McBeth dunking is genetic freakness IMO, like Spud Webb. How many women dunk?

I don't think they can, being genetically and physiologically inferior and all...

https://youtu.be/VjvqeB-_bX4

My sister at 18 yrs old was the National Champ in a field of mostly males, granted it was for driving a vehicle and was dubbed the next Danica Patrick. :\

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/19563

Check the first round scores. Played on a relatively short technical woods layout, the same for both divisions. 47 out of 75 MPO players shot a 57 or better. Paige shot the hot round in FPO at 57.

Thanks! hmm...Paige came within 1 of Doss, 2 of McCray & Koling, 6 of Lizotte. That's not bad, but yah...looks like I'm underestimating the putting differences between MPO/FPO.

I wonder about this as well. The couple 1000+ rated players I've been around throw 450+ in an open field.

The 350' accurate argument seems like a remnant of 15 years ago.

1) I've played locally with a girl who can throw 400ft+ but her upshots and putting is abysmal. The next time I see her on the course I'm getting her full name. I do know she used to play pro, had a kid, stopped playing and is now hoping to play pro again.

2) I had a long discussion with a 1000+ rated pro recently and we discussed his technical abilities. He said his drives are between 320-350, approaches from 300+ are very accurate, and he said his putting from 40ft in was solid.

As to the only 350ft drive and 1000ish rated debate, For like 10 years after they introduced ratings I think former world champ johnny Sias was 990-1010 rated and I'm sure he never threw over 400. He just happened to be an amazing putter. Its definitely possible, just rare. I'm sure some of the guys who only play NC woods courses are nasty and don't throw far, because they never need to there.

Hey all! Lady golfer coming in to represent. lol

I've read through this thread and your comments, and I think you're absolutely right in your analysis. Putting really is going to be the key to seeing a 1000 rated female disc golfer. I have played with some phenomenal disc golfers who have the most beautiful drives, but their putting and short game is so bad.

Let's face it, practice putting is boring. I know when I was preparing to go to GBO last year, I forced myself in the 100 days beforehand to do it every day, and it was excruciating. It was well worth the 30 mins a day it took to do it, but there were days I wanted to cry because I didn't want to.

There still is the larger problem with the women who want to tour not being able to do so because of the expense of it. I think there are a lot of really awesome women golfers out there who we don't see on tour because they can't afford it. Go to the Player Stats page on the PDGA page and sort by rating, and look through the list, you see a lot of highly rated players who you don't recognize. Maybe these are the ones sponsors should start calling.

Player Stats

1) I've played locally with a girl who can throw 400ft+ but her upshots and putting is abysmal. The next time I see her on the course I'm getting her full name. I do know she used to play pro, had a kid, stopped playing and is now hoping to play pro again.

2) I had a long discussion with a 1000+ rated pro recently and we discussed his technical abilities. He said his drives are between 320-350, approaches from 300+ are very accurate, and he said his putting from 40ft in was solid.

So his drives are 320+ and his 300+ approaches are very accurate (with what would be his longest driver). Doesn't sound right....name please.

As to the only 350ft drive and 1000ish rated debate, For like 10 years after they introduced ratings I think former world champ johnny Sias was 990-1010 rated and I'm sure he never threw over 400. He just happened to be an amazing putter. Its definitely possible, just rare. I'm sure some of the guys who only play NC woods courses are nasty and don't throw far, because they never need to there.

Well Lazerface has played with 'plenty of players' that max out at 350 and are 1000+ rated, how rare could it be? No names though, also there's a big difference in 350 and 400.

Latest posts