• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why can't I throw my champion eagle straight?

Has anyone else bought a newer champ sidewinder that was freakishly over stable out of the box? The one I just got is almost as hard to turn as an Eagle. It does not fade like an eagle but it does not do much sidewinding at all. I'm hoping it will beat into a great disc.

Yes... I've had a number of sidewinders that were glideless OS bricks. Not sure what universe they came from, but they were more FB than SW.

When someone asks for advice, a bunch of people weigh in with pertinent info, and then the misguided OP seems to completely blow it all off and continues on their misguided ways, that has a tinge of troll to it.

Has anyone else bought a newer champ sidewinder that was freakishly over stable out of the box? The one I just got is almost as hard to turn as an Eagle. It does not fade like an eagle but it does not do much sidewinding at all. I'm hoping it will beat into a great disc.

I got a Valk like that. It's flat, has no glide and barely any turn.

I have a Roadrunner that was near Thunderbird stable new and it beat into a thing of magic. Perhaps the most consistent long flex, turnover driver without ever burning that I've thrown. Even into a headwind, it hyzer flips and holds straight to the end. It's the easiest 350' disc in my bag. It's only real limitation is powering it down accurately.

When someone asks for advice, a bunch of people weigh in with pertinent info, and then the misguided OP seems to completely blow it all off and continues on their misguided ways, that has a tinge of troll to it.

Agreed.

In honest response to the original question, the disc isn't supposed to "go straight". It's difficult to look past someone looking past that. So, it seems almost intentional. I hope the idea of overstability sinks in soon before they just give up all together.
Also, this comprehensive ratings chart dazzled me last night. Excellent way to get a reference amongst all the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Because it's a champ Eagle. It won't fly straight unless thrown with a good bit of power behind it.

Your understanding of the flight numbers is incorrect. The Eagle has a -1 turn, but in Champ plastic I'd even say 0 turn. I have 11x and 12x Champ Eagles, one that is really beat in is consistent with the -1 turn. Fresh, very very different from the Sidewinder.

While you may not be getting the ideal line with these discs, if you can only meathook the Eagle, then so be it, it'll be your go-to meathook shot.

This is what my Eagle was for me before I developed the power to throw it more like the flight numbers and now I throw a Prodigy F2 in it's place and a Firebird for a meathook shot.

I lost my beloved super beat champ SW at Selah last year (I had to go for it). Bought a new one when I got back and it's super overstable. I ended up picking up a Mamba to replace my beat SW. But I've been throwing the OS SW and it is wonderful. It's my go to when I need distance on a straight line. Super consistent with it.

This one is really domey, while my US one I lost was FAF.

I too replaced my sidewinders with mambas. I had three 170g opaque red flat champ sidewinders (pfn) that flew perfectly understable, but I lose more US discs than anything, so two of those were gone in short order. Newer runs are all much different feel and flight. I have been told a g* SW would be about the same, but I was given a champ mamba and it is perfect for me in the same spot. I added a new champ to season in as well. I am also finding that the star mamba starts life with about the same flight as the beat champ, so I have an easily accessible backup if needed.

I lost my beloved super beat champ SW at Selah last year (I had to go for it). Bought a new one when I got back and it's super overstable. I ended up picking up a Mamba to replace my beat SW. But I've been throwing the OS SW and it is wonderful. It's my go to when I need distance on a straight line. Super consistent with it.

This one is really domey, while my US one I lost was FAF.

I feel a little better now. There is hope for my OSAF SW. I'm getting some decent shots out of it, and it glides better than a brick, but it's just not doing what I thought a SW was supposed to do. It a lighter one too, marked 168. It's a jolly launcher looking thing that was probably made about 2 years ago...it been in our club inventory. My River does exactly what I'd expect the SW to do.

I couldn't quote anymore, but I am writing to the post from Reniger on page 2.

Agreed. I have a speed 6 gazelle and I can throw that one straight regularly for 220 feet. I have found I can throw it farther when I get my hips into my throw, but I have also noticed that I can get the overstable wander if I put too much into to it. I may be reiterating what was stated before, but in comparison, I threw a leopard 6 dx plastic in the past and it always went ovrerstable and into a wander or even to a roll. I bought a 7 star plastic leopard and when I throw it 220-240 it hardly flattens out. Is the plastic making the flight of the disc that much difference? I have put some work into my throw by having a full wind up and hips into my throw and I can really feel the disc rip out of my hand for some more distance. The farther I throw the leopard, even further do I throw my avenger. I have been throwing for about 2 years now. Thank you all for your input and I am sorry for not being as understanding as I should have been.

I feel a little better now. There is hope for my OSAF SW. I'm getting some decent shots out of it, and it glides better than a brick, but it's just not doing what I thought a SW was supposed to do. It a lighter one too, marked 168. It's a jolly launcher looking thing that was probably made about 2 years ago...it been in our club inventory. My River does exactly what I'd expect the SW to do.

Yup, I've got a stoopid stable now (originally overstable) champ sidewinder. It's my headwind straight shot straight finish disc.

Had it about 4 years in the last couple of months I'm starting to see a bit of headwind turn, in another 4 years it might be what I originally thought it was going to be.

Every Innova disc I buy has to be totally relearnt from scratch, none ever fly like the last one.

I attribute this to frustration on flight numbers and actual flight of the discs. I am coming back to day to reassess what everyone has said.

-Lovebecause

Is the plastic making the flight of the disc that much difference?

Yes, the different type of plastic have a huge affect on the flight of a disc. CFR/Glow most overstable, Champion, Star, G-Star, and then DX.

Also the temperature outside affects the stability of the disc as well. So something that was working in the summer, Champion plastic, will not fly the same in winter.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/disc-golf-faq/plastic-types-overview/

Plastics Affect Flight
Our different plastics can affect the flight ratings of our discs, especially the longer range drivers. Generally Champion and Glow Champion produce discs with less high speed turn than our other premium plastics like Star, GStar, and Driver Pro.

All of our Premium plastics like Star, GStar, Champion, and Driver Pro will retain their original flight characteristics for an extended period of time.
DX, XT, KC Pro, and R-Pro Plastic will change flight characteristics over time more quickly than our premium plastics. This is a desirable trait for some people who will carry the same model in multiple stages of wear to get different flights for different situations while throwing the same mold.

Latest posts