• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do We Shake Hands Before The Last Hole?

If you are the top players then after the round you should shake hands with your cardmates.
Us peons usually go our separate ways after the round so shaking hands on the 18th tee makes more sense than afterward.
That way you don't feel obligated to stick around and find all the dudes you played with. Of course you have to all add up and sign your card but handshakes during that time should not be mandatory.

If you are the top players then after the round you should shake hands with your cardmates.
Us peons usually go our separate ways after the round so shaking hands on the 18th tee makes more sense than afterward.
That way you don't feel obligated to stick around and find all the dudes you played with. Of course you have to all add up and sign your card but handshakes during that time should not be mandatory.
I think the opposite. As is, it is basically mandatory to prematurely shake it out and say good game, but it is ok to not congratulate after all is said and done. Throughout all the sports I've played you line up after the game, look your opponent in the eyes, and congratulate them. You don't run off to pout, avoid your final score, or wever the excuse may be. You man up AFTER the game regardless of results or how busy or tired you are to say good game. This is more indicative to good sportsmanship to me.

Before and after makes sense. During not so much. Did you shake hands in anticipation of a check mate?

No, you don't shake hands until the chess game is done, but that analogy falls down a bit in comparing chess and disc golf. In chess you play on a clock and you may need to make a frenzy of moves in the last few minutes to make the time control. Sometimes you don't even have time to time to write down the moves, in which case you just make a check mark on your score sheet to record the number of moves (a typical time control was 50 moves in 2 hours; so up to about 4 hours for the first time control, as their are two clocks in a chess clock, one for each player). Because if the flag on your clock falls, you lose (so long as your opponent has enough material [that is, at least a pawn] on the board for checkmate; otherwise it's a draw).

By contrast, when you're preparing to tee off on the last hole in disc golf there is no such frenzy and it is typically much more relaxed. And commonly you're waiting for the group in front of you to putt out so you can drive.

I've been playing disc golf much longer than most people here, and I just don't see it as a hardship to shake hands/high five/fist bump before playing the last hole. I'm certain that this practice hasn't caused me a single stroke in more than four decades of playing, all as a pro.

Yes, I missed your point, but only because you didn't write what you were thinking. I'm not a mind reader.

Oh I thaught you missed my point because you were "challenged" mentally. Gee, thanks for setting the record straight. Your comment is pretty funny coming from a person who basically called me "snooty."

I spend a lot of time on this forum : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/, and I have to say, this is the first time in a while that I almost thaught I was over there with the anal dudes talking about their $2000 turntables. I give them crap too. Talk about snooty.

A: We are Devo?

devo_arewenotmen_grande.jpg

Did you catch my reference on post #54?

I also like how it contributes to the rhythm of the round, like the encore at a concert

This for me. The high fives on the 18th tee build up the focus and enjoyment on the last hole, knowing the end of the round is coming. I also think it creates a better atmosphere if there is a close competition for first place on the lead card.

I am used to post-game handshakes, from baseball to hockey. Doing it before the game is over seems strange to me, but I am never one to decline a handshake, fist bump, or high five. Unless the person is a jerk, then all bets are off.

I think the opposite. As is, it is basically mandatory to prematurely shake it out and say good game, but it is ok to not congratulate after all is said and done. Throughout all the sports I've played you line up after the game, look your opponent in the eyes, and congratulate them. You don't run off to pout, avoid your final score, or wever the excuse may be. You man up AFTER the game regardless of results or how busy or tired you are to say good game. This is more indicative to good sportsmanship to me.

Wow. So not only are you a superior competitor by virtue of your intense focus but also a better sportsman then everyone else?

You must be a BLAST to play with :sick:

This for me. The high fives on the 18th tee build up the focus and enjoyment on the last hole, knowing the end of the round is coming. I also think it creates a better atmosphere if there is a close competition for first place on the lead card.

Please stop. It doesn't do any of these things. I am starting to hate this tradition even more listening to these comments.

I am used to post-game handshakes, from baseball to hockey. Doing it before the game is over seems strange to me, but I am never one to decline a handshake, fist bump, or high five. Unless the person is a jerk, then all bets are off.

Yes! Thank you!

Pretty sure we do it because we are different from other sports. It's a great tradition of Disc Golf. I initiate all the time, if someone was having a bummer round or keeping to themselves I giving them the first and hardest high five.

Pretty sure we do it because we are different from other sports. It's a great tradition of Disc Golf. I initiate all the time, if someone was having a bummer round or keeping to themselves I giving them the first and hardest high five.

If you truly cared you wouldn't wait till the last hole!

:)

Word. I encourage any and all fist bumping, high fiving, and good gaming regardless of where and when said props occur.

Wow. So not only are you a superior competitor by virtue of your intense focus but also a better sportsman then everyone else?

You must be a BLAST to play with :sick:
Hmm thanks for putting words in my mouth along with forcing me to shake your sweaty hand prematurely.

it's a golf thing - as others have mentioned, you are competing against the course/yourself more than you are competing with your actual card mates. i see it as more of a "thanks for playing" or "enjoyed our round together (against the course)"

it's a golf thing - as others have mentioned, you are competing against the course/yourself more than you are competing with your actual card mates. i see it as more of a "thanks for playing" or "enjoyed our round together (against the course)"

I agree with this. I enjoy every time out with friends plus it is a sign of respect and congrats for playing your best.

Latest posts