• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do We Shake Hands Before The Last Hole?

Tom Brady needs to play disc golf!

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 13
  • 2015-07-07-17-01-14--353423459.jpeg
    2015-07-07-17-01-14--353423459.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 11
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 10
it's a golf thing - as others have mentioned, you are competing against the course/yourself more than you are competing with your actual card mates. i see it as more of a "thanks for playing" or "enjoyed our round together (against the course)"
false

wtf you talking about? Courtesy is good. If the only way to show courtesy is handshaking it out before the 18th hole in your opinion then that's on you if you don't like it. Kinda ridiculous though.

Are you swearing at me and taking my words our of context for a reason, or is that just your "game face"?

I think its a good custom and hope it stays around. If you don't like doing it than don't do it, it really won't offend me either way. Just watch the video of any of the major tournaments. Do you think Paul McBeth, Steve Rico, Feldberg, or any of the other big name players are being ridiculous for shaking each others hand on the last hole? They seem to have no problem playing it out afterward.

Are you swearing at me and taking my words our of context for a reason, or is that just your "game face"?

I think its a good custom and hope it stays around. If you don't like doing it than don't do it, it really won't offend me either way. Just watch the video of any of the major tournaments. Do you think Paul McBeth, Steve Rico, Feldberg, or any of the other big name players are being ridiculous for shaking each others hand on the last hole? They seem to have no problem playing it out afterward.
You didn't clearly communicate so I had to make assumptions hence "if". I didn't say it as a fact for how you believe.

The ridiculous part to me is having to do it or being snooty, anti-social, etc. not the act of doing it. Maybe reread? I feel I was pretty clear in my assessment.

I will say though, those top players are just playing follow the leader. Without the tradition already in place I doubt they would be thrilled about it, but that would be for them to answer and the politically correct answer would be to say they love sweaty shake it out time. So individually them partaking isn't ridiculous, but maybe humans are in general for just going with the flow.

I say all or nothing! Let's start playing patty cake down every fairway!

I don't know from tradition on this...

I noticed I do this at the last hole often... but I'm in casual rounds and it just seems like the right thing to do to say that I had a fun round and enjoyed the company... *shrug* I really had no idea that others do this too as I'm usually the one starting it out

You didn't clearly communicate so I had to make assumptions hence "if". I didn't say it as a fact for how you believe.

The ridiculous part to me is having to do it or being snooty, anti-social, etc. not the act of doing it. Maybe reread? I feel I was pretty clear in my assessment.

I will say though, those top players are just playing follow the leader. Without the tradition already in place I doubt they would be thrilled about it, but that would be for them to answer and the politically correct answer would be to say they love sweaty shake it out time. So individually them partaking isn't ridiculous, but maybe humans are in general for just going with the flow.

I say all or nothing! Let's start playing patty cake down every fairway!

I never used the word snooty, anti-social, or anything of the sort. What makes you think I did?

Actually those top players ARE the leaders. Since you feel comfortable speaking for them, perhaps you should suggest that they stop high fiving each other on the last tee. I think they would listen to you, really.

If you are so concerned about hygiene, a fist bump would do. No one would object. Or you can always carry a birdie bag with you to absorb any stray bodily fluids that may come your way.

I hate fist bumps and high fives, just shakes hands and be polite! Enough all this contorted finger tickling, chest bumps and all the other ridicules antics.

Yeah, I'm old and grumpy.

I usually do shake hands before the hole, but either way... You seem like the kind of person I wouldn't offer any of it to.

I think it's cool and kind of the last remains of some chivalry in life.

although I'm also a germ phobe and rather dap u.

I never used the word snooty, anti-social, or anything of the sort. What makes you think I did?

Actually those top players ARE the leaders. Since you feel comfortable speaking for them, perhaps you should suggest that they stop high fiving each other on the last tee. I think they would listen to you, really.

If you are so concerned about hygiene, a fist bump would do. No one would object. Or you can always carry a birdie bag with you to absorb any stray bodily fluids that may come your way.
Lol round and round.... I never said you used those words. Reread the entire thread maybe? I think you aren't comprehending it all. I never said I'm worried about hygiene. The pros being leaders could be true, but is relative to the subject. Since I was talking about traditions passed down they are playing follow the leader. I said you would have to ask them on the subject which would infer I don't feel comfortable speaking for them I can just speculate. Bring a valid argument without twisting everything and I'll respond. Keep putting words in my mouth and I will put you on ignore. Kthnx :p

Lol round and round.... I never said you used those words. Reread the entire thread maybe? I think you aren't comprehending it all. I never said I'm worried about hygiene. The pros being leaders could be true, but is relative to the subject. Since I was talking about traditions passed down they are playing follow the leader. I said you would have to ask them on the subject which would infer I don't feel comfortable speaking for them I can just speculate. Bring a valid argument without twisting everything and I'll respond. Keep putting words in my mouth and I will put you on ignore. Kthnx :p

Observing a tradition of sportsmanship is playing 'follow the leader'? This isn't 'The Lottery' dude. We're not ritually sacrificing a life to the disc gods. We're trying to be good sports.

I think we should start a petition to present to the PDGA to move it to after the last hole, so all the angry, aggro ams and 'local pros' that can't really play can run away without acknowledging they ruined everybody's round.

Yeah, I do not comprehend much of what you say, that is true. I have an idea. Let's consider this to be the last tee of this conversation. :hfive::hfive:

Let's consider this walking down the fairway of 18 since our round and high fives aren't done!

Attachments

• 2015-07-07-19-20-16-240766611.jpeg
    2015-07-07-19-20-16-240766611.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 16
Let's consider this walking down the fairway of 18 since our round and high fives aren't done!

You missed your chance, I need to take a restroom break as soon as I nail my 60 foot put, and I doubt you'll want to high five me after that.

Latest posts