• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't people call back?

A guy hid a disc I left at the course in a culvert, left a message, and texted me a pic of where it was. I've now adopted this system. It makes me feel good to help, and it separates me from any other assumed obligation.

Because they want a free disc, or want to pull profit. Simple as that.

Almost every person I call back offers me a reward, which I never take....and that's after walking the river with my dog to find them. 3/4 of the people I call never answer or call back anyway.

To each their own, I guess. I only ink the discs I'd cry over losing, and would hope people would call back. Lost my favorite Star Orc in CT many weeks ago, and the guy that found it was nice enough to send it back for only shipping costs...so I gave him double.

I get that some people dive into some bad areas to find discs...but if they're finding that many, why not call the person and charge them a nominal fee (3-5 bucks maybe) for giving it back? Is it that hard to be a good person? At least give people the option, I say.

People that just find them on the course? Call the damn number. Karma is real, yo.

I'll put in a REASONABLE effort to return inked discs. I found one at Brandy Lake and called - no answer. Texted, and got a text back, but they weren't able to meet up and their responses were sporadic. I had to drive back home (hour drive) and didn't have time to wait. So I hid it in a specific bush, where nobody would see it or bother looking normally, and texted them how to get to it. But I wasn't going to stay for hours into the night waiting for them to get off work when I have to drive home.

I know a guy that puts his daughter's name on his discs instead of his own. Decent strategy. Who has the conscience to keep a girl's disc?

Other people put "$ for return" below their number.

I've never lost a disc except for one that I left behind as a frustrated second drive. To the OP: Watch where you throw. Learn to not take your eye off a disc in flight no matter how frustrated you are with the resulting shot and you will stop leaving discs behind. Thick brush, tall grass, snow, brambles, whatever... You can get it back.

I lost one of my favorites about a month and a half ago. There are not many people that play the small 9 hole course. After running into all the locals and a few randoms, I just considered it gone. As it turns out, someone that walks the park trails found it, called me, and left a voicemail that didn't show up until I had missed the next call. I was very excited. The woman was very pleasant and baffled that I offered to give her money. She was just going a good thing. +1 to faith in humanity. This woman wasn't a golfer, and her English wasn't very good, yet she still put forth effort she didn't need to.

I lost one of my favorites about a month and a half ago. There are not many people that play the small 9 hole course. After running into all the locals and a few randoms, I just considered it gone. As it turns out, someone that walks the park trails found it, called me, and left a voicemail that didn't show up until I had missed the next call. I was very excited. The woman was very pleasant and baffled that I offered to give her money. She was just going a good thing. +1 to faith in humanity. This woman wasn't a golfer, and her English wasn't very good, yet she still put forth effort she didn't need to.

duuuuuuuuuuuuude :hfive:

A guy hid a disc I left at the course in a culvert, left a message, and texted me a pic of where it was. I've now adopted this system. It makes me feel good to help, and it separates me from any other assumed obligation.

This is a good strategy, and Is quite popular here in Colorado. We also have a few courses with lost and found boxes on ye first tee that, for the most part, people respect (I.e. don't take what isn't theirs.)

Also, the PIAS here doesn't take used discs with names and numbers on them unless you can prove it's your name. Pretty cool of them.

I've never lost a disc except for one that I left behind as a frustrated second drive. To the OP: Watch where you throw. Learn to not take your eye off a disc in flight no matter how frustrated you are with the resulting shot and you will stop leaving discs behind. Thick brush, tall grass, snow, brambles, whatever... You can get it back.

I have watched so many discs fly away only to never get them back.

You make it sound SOOO easy :\ and I guess it could be with a max d under 275' but even then DISCS GET LOST' Whats crazier is the fact that some fairways are blind too (and in the woods!) Sometimes you can get a kick in a direction your disc wasn't even traveling..... :|

This is a good strategy, and Is quite popular here in Colorado. We also have a few courses with lost and found boxes on ye first tee that, for the most part, people respect (I.e. don't take what isn't theirs.)

Also, the PIAS here doesn't take used discs with names and numbers on them unless you can prove it's your name. Pretty cool of them.

PIAS doesn't do that here, so whenever I see a really good disc at PIAS, especially with a custom dye, I'll call the number right there in the store. I once called a dude about a Marley stencil disc, and he was pumped to know where to get it back. I bought a 11x Firebird at PIAS the other day. Clearly, the owner wouldn't have sold it to them, and if it had a number, I would've called it. I bought it, so I guess now I'm an accomplice or an accessory to a crime or something.

I Don't Call

The main reason is that I don't own a cell phone (shocker). So it would mean taking the disc home with me and calling. I dread the idea that I do that and the guy was still at the course when I was (I normally ask anyone I see if it's their disc). My practice is to leave the disc at the first tee or kiosk (if they have one) or in the drop box regardless of whether it is inked or not. If I want more discs, I'll buy them. If someone else picks it up and calls, they're a better person than me. I don't put a number on my discs so anyone who finds one is welcome to keep it.

When I finally decide to walk away from a Disc my expectation is that I will never see it again.

I put my number on it just in case but that's a total crap shoot. I've only had two people call me.

Sometimes I find a nice Disc that is on my wishlist and test drive it during my round. And there have been times when I have had a hard time forcing myself to make the call but I always do. I understand the temptation though.

Just depends on the quality of the character of the person who finds the disc.

Same with ball golf, I left a really nice pitching wedge on the course a few weeks ago, I loved that club and was furious with myself. I called the clubhouse for days hoping someone would turn it in but no luck. Life sucks sometimes

One of the guys that did contact me hid my disc under some grass trimmings. He built a tiny stick teepee near it and called me and told me where and how to find it. I thought that was pretty smart

The local disc shop in Columbus has done this in the past. One day I got a call out of the blue about a disc I had lost probably 4 months earlier and chalked it up as gone. The guy who found it was trying to get some money for it from the shop. He got bupkis and the shop called me to let me know they had my disc because they recognized my name. I offered to re-buy the disc from them but they had none of it.

Just yesterday I was throwing a round with a buddy and found a DiscNation stamped MVP disc kind of hidden off the fairway. We called the number and left a voicemail, he called back to let us know that he had just sold the disc the a couple of days ago. We got the buyers contact info and the seller gave the buyer our contact info, and now it's just up to getting to the right area to drop the disc off.

In a sense returning discs is almost backwards-ly selfish. I don't gain anything from keeping a lost disc besides a disc. Returning a disc usually makes the recipient happy, which makes me happy and it might lead to having a new person to throw with. There's just a lot more to gain from returning discs than keeping them.

Right/Wrong. A black and white issue, nearly always. All attempts to make a grey area out of this is simply trying to justify doing the wrong thing.

Okay so you've all admited that you put your number on your disc to meet dudes.
Guilty as charged. Yep, I put my # on discs hoping a guy will call me, and we can arrange to meet for a round to return my disc.. and if he's really cute, I might ask him for a date. :rolleyes:

Then again, maybe I'd just want my friggin' disc back. :|

In a sense returning discs is almost backwards-ly selfish. I don't gain anything from keeping a lost disc besides a disc. Returning a disc usually makes the recipient happy, which makes me happy and it might lead to having a new person to throw with. There's just a lot more to gain from returning discs than keeping them.
Too bad more players don't think like this. :hfive:

Last edited:

Latest posts