• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why minis to mark a disc at all?

It's certainly nice that little baby discs are there to protect us from scheming double-marking sons-of-mothers. Where do people come up with this hogwash? If anyone wanted to steal a few inches here or there it could be easily done, with or without a marker. Whooooo cares?

I've never once used a mini marker and never will. Happily, everyone I've ever played pdga events with has been grown enough to understand that this is an inconsequential and entirely ignorable rule.

Ignoring rules you don't like is not ever okay. And the person you quoted is the PDGA's Illinois State coordinator, so show a little respect.

I can assure you that if you were on my card and not marking with a mini we'd have a problem.

The rules allow for the option to leave the thrown disc as the " marker" and a mini is not required. I only use a mini if I have to mark an OB or if stuck in a tree.

Am I correct for thinking it is now also not legal to flip the thrown disc forward to mark the lie?

Just checking. There was some talk locally about that recently.

Am I correct for thinking it is now also not legal to flip the thrown disc forward to mark the lie?

Flipping the disc is a casual way to replace marking a disc. But its not allowed by rule.

It's certainly nice that little baby discs are there to protect us from scheming double-marking sons-of-mothers. Where do people come up with this hogwash? If anyone wanted to steal a few inches here or there it could be easily done, with or without a marker. Whooooo cares?

I've never once used a mini marker and never will. Happily, everyone I've ever played pdga events with has been grown enough to understand that this is an inconsequential and entirely ignorable rule.

Questioning how many a$$holes there are in society? I wish I could live with your blinders.
You're absolutely allowed not to use a mini if you throw from behind your disc. What do you do if you go OB? Mini are supposed to be used to mark your lie. I understand the relevance of how insignificant not using a mini is but I believe in integrity of the rules and ignoring any rule no matter how insignificant is wrong. Casual do you (I flip my disc) but pdga tourney no way.

Last edited:
Minis marking a disc don't make a lot of sense. Why bother?

If we just allowed using another disc as the marker it wouldn't change anything.

If we got rid of taking the diameter of the disc closer by using a marker disc, which seems counter to the intent of the game to me but that may be a separate question, then if the player wanted to use the thrown disc again just replace the disc with another one.

I'm sure I'm over-simplifying things and there's some reason we use a mini disc -- but I'm relatively adept with geometry and with the exception of the thrown disc that you're marking, the circle you're using to replace the disc's diameter doesn't really impact the distance of the next throw.

Seems odd that mini discs are mandated in our rules -- why? Seems like any of the discs we use could just as easily serve the same purpose.

What am I missing?

So one disc PDGA sanctioned rounds can be played without another disc to mark lie in a game. Some PDGA approved discs are the Ultimate discs and have lots of marking wiggle room. If it were legal to use another disc to mark one that you are using again I would keep a PDGA approved Ultimate disc mostly for just marking my lie as that gives nearly a foot of room to work with for footwork for planting foot. More then a foot if you use the new foot plant rules.

Last edited:
So one disc PDGA sanctioned rounds can be played without another disc to mark lie in a game. Some PDGA approved discs are the Ultimate discs and have lots of marking wiggle room. If it were legal to use another disc to mark one that you are using again I would keep a PDGA approved Ultimate disc mostly for just marking my lie as that gives nearly a foot of room to work with for footwork for planting foot. More then a foot if you use the new foot plant rules.

The width of the disc (or mini for that matter) has zero impact on the amount of "room to work with for footwork".

The current rule gives you 20 cm wide x 30 cm deep rectangle centered behind the marker. The width of the marker does not change anything.

The width of the disc (or mini for that matter) has zero impact on the amount of "room to work with for footwork".

The current rule gives you 20 cm wide x 30 cm deep rectangle centered behind the marker. The width of the marker does not change anything.

thanks. could not remember the rule. Before this new rule I could use the size of disc to an advantage. Say use a Condor where one uses a ROC.

thanks. could not remember the rule. Before this new rule I could use the size of disc to an advantage. Say use a Condor where one uses a ROC.

Even before the rules update you could not. You had to be on the Line of Play which was not affected by the width of the disc/marker.

Maybe try reading the rule before commenting then?

The width of the disc has never been a factor. If you thought it was, you had it wrong.

Not exactly the way to make someone feel welcome and help grow the sport. If I were treated that rudely by someone on the forum, I'd be unlikely to return. I might even give up the game, assuming everyone involved as as rude as the person responding.

Also, this is another reminder of why I will NEVER play another tournament. People who act like this suck all of the joy out of a game intended to be fun. I understand if this is your livelihood. However, people paying money to play a tournament that will be much less fun than a free round with friends is something I will never understand.

The mini is used to prevent people from flipping multiple times. At least that's one reason that was explained to me.

Not exactly the way to make someone feel welcome and help grow the sport. If I were treated that rudely by someone on the forum, I'd be unlikely to return. I might even give up the game, assuming everyone involved as as rude as the person responding.

Also, this is another reminder of why I will NEVER play another tournament. People who act like this suck all of the joy out of a game intended to be fun. I understand if this is your livelihood. However, people paying money to play a tournament that will be much less fun than a free round with friends is something I will never understand.

Who is this comment in reference to?
No loss in joy by playing by the rules. A mini is real easy to use. Ensuring everyone playing by the same rules when it's a competitive environment of a tourney should be standard.
Making someone feel welcome to this board? Nobody that has posted on this is new. Look at the years playing and post counts. Neither new to the game or the forum.
I have fun playing casually and competitively knowing there is a difference is not hard to understand.
Not trying to be rude to anyone but the OP asked why a mini and what is he missing. There are legitimate answers underneath.

Last edited:
Who is this comment in reference to?
No loss in joy by playing by the rules. A mini is real easy to use. Ensuring everyone playing by the same rules when it's a competitive environment of a tourney should be standard.
Making someone feel welcome to this board? Nobody that has posted on this is new. Look at the years playing and post counts. Neither new to the game or the forum.
I have fun playing casually and competitively knowing there is a difference is not hard to understand.
Not trying to be rude to anyone but the OP asked why a mini and what is he missing. There are legitimate answers underneath.

My comment about rude was not intended to say the rules are not important. They are. I felt as if the comment about reading the rules before asking a question was extremely rude. You can answer a question in a non-judgmental way, or you can answer in a way that implies that the person asking the question is an idiot. I'm not sure there is a need for the second one.

My comment about rude was not intended to say the rules are not important. They are. I felt as if the comment about reading the rules before asking a question was extremely rude. You can answer a question in a non-judgmental way, or you can answer in a way that implies that the person asking the question is an idiot. I'm not sure there is a need for the second one.

I didn't say read the rules before asking a question. I said read the rules before making a comment about a rules issue. The poster I was responding to was making statements, not asking questions, and doing so while admittedly not remembering the rule he was so authoritatively, but incorrectly, commenting about. And it isn't the first time he's done so.

It's one thing if you don't know something and you ask for help in finding the correct answer. It's quite another to speak with seeming authority about something you admit you don't know/remember well, if at all. I'll kindly and gladly help answer the former if I can, but I don't suffer the latter lightly (especially when it comes to things that too many folks are already misinformed about). If that's rude, so be it.

I appreciate the distinction you are making, and it makes some sense. I also don't know the history with the OP, and it sounds as if that is part of the issue. However, I am always inclined to try to be civil, even when pointing out a flaw.

The only thing that I can see is that it's very easy to tell if you're disc had been marked or not. You might could sneakily mark your disc a second time (or third) and slowly advance your lie. With a mini, it's very definite.

Now, that seems a very unlikely thing for someone to attempt to pull off.

Did anyone ever really stop to think that having a mini is just cool? A collection of minis is like POGS used to be man c'mon over and lets bust out some minis and trade and drink Capri Suns.

Latest posts