• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard plastics

spinachd

Eagle Member
God has decreed that I shall putt Wizards. I am compulsive putter switcher and so God advised that I should buy pairs of identical Wizards and switch from one pair to another when dissatisfied, rather than one type of putter to another.

I have a pair of old blue ER-Med and a pair of 2014 Pro Worlds red soft that I like pretty well. I have a pair of RFF that I do not like at all. What is OG like? Etc.

They vary by run, I know, but please tell me which you prefer and why. For instance, my ER have clovered but my softs have not. I think I like the clover for putting but intact dome for throwing. I also feel the softs are more prone to bounce and roll on misses. The ER seems to sit no matter what, even though it is not floppy. These things matter.

Eraser is my favorite for putting. Stiff but grippy. Organic and SS feel about the same as Eraser in stiffness, but have a less rubbery feel to them. Evolutions are a tad bit domier, or a lot domier depending on the run, and are either champ-like or slightly rubbery, but very durable. Good for throwing. Havent tried SSS, S, or the G series.

Some folks will talk trash about Gateway and the inconsistency of their plastics. I feel like having a wide variety of blends is a positive. It can be difficult to replace a Wizard once you have one you throw with consistency, but I feel like that's the case with all putters. Once you find a blend you like, get multiples for practice! In my tournament bag, I carry three Wizards...

#1 - G18 Proto: My driving Wizard. I like to have a firm and durable plastic blend to handle the punishment of hitting roots, rocks, trees, and metal when thrown at full power. I've also had Evo HPP, Dog Toy, and Soft plastics fill this spot.

#2 - Organic/Eraser: My approach Wizard. Both of these plastic blends have the grip and control that have me reaching for a Wizard on most approaches within 150'. I've also used $$$ and SS blends for this spot but Organic blends are starting to be my favorite.

#3 - RFF: My putting Wizard. I'm liking these for straddle putts as they really stick to the chains. The gummy flexibility of the RFF line is helpful for the landscape I play on. Elevation changes in West Virginia can translate to fast greens, precarious pin positions, and roll-away shots. If you need a finesse shot that will stick where it lands, try out the RFF or SSS blends.

I hope this helps. God is on your side, sir!

I prefer a harder plastic with a tacky or grippy feel. This usually means S or a firmer blend of SS, with a rubbery starting feel. Something you can rub your fingers on and make a squeaky noise with.

I don't feel a huge difference between regular and OG ones that I've got. I think there's a wide enough variety of OG that it's tough to make a blanket statement about any differences.

Some of their plastic gets a velvety feel to it, which feels great at first but gets slicker with wear in my experience. I've also found that chalky wizards feel great, but tend to lose material in chunks and aren't quite as durable. I don't care for the puffy wizards or anything with a real dome to it.

Of course this is all over a sample size of a couple dozen wizards lifetime. I tend to throw the same ones for years and years. My primary putter from ten years ago is my main understable thrower now.

My current pair, and favorite that I've ever had, are a pair of black OG wizards. Between S and SS in feel and, I may be crazy, but they smell like maple syrup.

Soft and Super Soft for putting
Evolution for Driving
Eraser and Organic for up-shots
I also just traded a newish Firebird to a casual player for a super beat Prototype Wizard that weighs 165 grams which is now used for super long jump putts and really floaty throw in attempts.

Soft and Super Soft for putting
Evolution for Driving
Eraser and Organic for up-shots
I also just traded a newish Firebird to a casual player for a super beat Prototype Wizard that weighs 165 grams which is now used for super long jump putts and really floaty throw in attempts.

I also have a very old "Soft Putter by Gateway" not labeled a Wizard 168 or so. Is that a "proto"?

I recently made the switch to Wizards. I personally ended up with a pair of velvety SSS for putting duties and a Superglow (very similar feel - slightly harder) for driving and approach shots.

The SSS pair that I found are still fairly stiff, especially around the rim. The flight plate has a softer, velvety feel with great grip. Still flat-topped though, not puddle-topped. It gives me a very consistent release.

I picked the glow up because of the similar feel, and I like to play night rounds. So I went for it.

I put with g9i because I like the controversy and questions.

I recently switched to gateway plastics for putting, too.
However, my main putter is an RFF Reptilian Serpent (definitely worth checking out).
I like RFF cause I like that slight gummy, grippy feel, but also cause these sit right down when they land.
I also drive with ER and SS Wizards, though, and love the feel of both.
ER more for upshots/long wooded putts, SS for drives.
If you like a firmer plastic, SS or S with a velvety feel, you might want to check out Reptilian's Fossil plastic.
I have some S Wizards for sale/trade, too, if you need any, shoot me a PM.

I also feel the softs are more prone to bounce and roll on misses.

I've noticed this too. At first I thought it was just a fluke but it started happening frequently enough for me to know its not a coincidence.

I'm also a relatively new wizard user too, and here's what I've found:

I found that the feel of the disc in my hand matters more then the actual labeled flex. I started with softs because I've been using rigid putters forever so I assumed that's what I needed. They I thought they were quite slick in feel, and I didn't care for it. I've found not grippy enough plastic for my preferences in every variation I've come across, and I've found some grippy amazingness in every different degree of flex too. That is weird to me as I've stayed away from floppy putters for years, but I have a chalk RFF that feels great and putts just as well as the rest. For me my ideal wizard is anywhere in the SS to SSS range with tons of grip, but anything grippy works great for me too.

Also, I feel obligated to shamelessly plug RDG's Scale anytime the wizard comes up. Its a WizOS and its amazing!

Oh, and I'd also like to shamelessly plug the Wizard Warehouse thread here. Its the thread that got me hooked on wizards in the first place and the guy that runs it will be happy to handpick stuff to your exact preferences.

Some folks will talk trash about Gateway and the inconsistency of their plastics. I feel like having a wide variety of blends is a positive ...

Yes. I have ~20 or so Wizards in S, SS, SSS, RFF ... I have a couple of favorites out of the bunch but those favorites change depending on conditions - wet/dry, hot/cold, high/low humidity - because of the characteristics of the different plastics. Some seem to get better as they age, others, not so much.

There is almost as much difference in feel within a class (Soft, for instance) as among the classes. (I have a grippy, tacky RFF that is as firm as some of my SS's).

I have seasonal putting pairs... Summertime I have rock hard Soft's, almost Medium Flex. When it gets hot and humid, these offer a very clean release. Prone to some goofy spit-throughs wide right, but gain some on the left side.
Use Eraser SS, OG Soft, and Chalky Soft based on weather and grip I'm looking for.

I also have a very old "Soft Putter by Gateway" not labeled a Wizard 168 or so. Is that a "proto"?

Honestly don't have a clue..All I know is the bottom of the wizard I'm talking about has the gateway arch stamp on the top of the flight plate and a prototype stamp on thw bottom. To be perfectly honest I just know the thing glides for days with very very very little effort and with the performance I get from it I could care less if its actually a prototype or not.

Soft Wizards all the way. If I get a slick one it goes in putter rotation, if I get a chalky one it goes in thrower rotation.

#3 - RFF: My putting Wizard. I'm liking these for straddle putts as they really stick to the chains. The gummy flexibility of the RFF line is helpful for the landscape I play on. Elevation changes in West Virginia can translate to fast greens, precarious pin positions, and roll-away shots. If you need a finesse shot that will stick where it lands, try out the RFF or SSS blends.

I hope this helps. God is on your side, sir!

I tried the RFFs some more they are indeed good for straddle putting. Actually I stared banging staggered-stance slight-anhyzer flex putts from all over with these as well. I am surprised to like them.

I am just going to keep slowly acquiring interesting Wizards and putting them.

my wizards i putt with all depends on temperature. softs for putting if its over 80 degrees. ss if its between 50 and 80 degrees. and sss if its below 50.

Is OG short for organic, and what's the difference between organic and $$$ organic? And do they make $$$ in anything other than organic?

*some of these questions may or may not make any sense. I'm asking for a friend ;)

Latest posts