• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] $$$ Wizards

Only illegal if you get caught. Seriously though, that would be a dick move to call somebody on a factory disc that scales less than 1g over limit.

Yes, I prefer to obey the rules for myself, and in this case, they're clearly defined.

Lots of threads about overweight discs here - my point was just to add that I got one that was heavier than legal, but mostly to talk about the feel and grip, which I like quite a bit.

And I'm only going by the PDGA specs for the disc. The rule says 8.3g/cm, so if Wizards are bigger now, then the PDGA approved discs list is slightly out of date (as Dave alludes to).

I figured I was missing out not putting wizards so I bought a stack of ten of these. After only a few putts I can tell I am going to love these, real grippy and just stiff enough for my taste.

Hope ten lasts me a while I would hate to have to replace these if I wanted the same feel.

Not sure I will drive with them, they still feel deeper than I like for a power grip (I don't like to fan grip). May or may not approach with them, time will tell.

I am currently using both a soft eraser and SSS Wizard, anyone know how these feel compared to these two?

I am currently using both a soft eraser and SSS Wizard, anyone know how these feel compared to these two?

They flex like the firmer end of supersoft. The grip is amazing though. The grip feels almost like my SSS's. So it would sit right between your S Eraser and SSS in grip and flex.

I have both. I'll get back to you later today.

Edit: never mind, that pretty much nails it, except I'd say mine are at least as grippy if not a tiny bit more so than my SSS.

iacas have you thrown any full power stuff with these yet? does the flatness of these change their stability at all?

No. Cold here and haven't played in a few weeks. Also I typically only throw Anodes for putters off the tee and approaches. Occasionally a Wizard, but not often (partly because it's black and thus tougher to locate). In field work I throw some G9i and some Mediums and they're very similar to those - I've never really had a Wizard with any real dome to it at all - they're all pretty flat. No puddle tops either, though.

The G9i and Mediums are getting beat up in winter putting practice, but even this summer when they were much newer they flew straight with a baby fade at the end. Could turn a few feet too if there was any wind. 250' or so. I'd expect the $$$ to be about the same (once the minor flashing is removed).

Id love to try some of these! I cannot get enough of gateways plastic blends

It's wasting your energy and money worrying about a disc that's half a gram overweight. One of the pdga guys said that they are unconcerned about any discs that are within a few grams over max weight.

I was really worried about this too when I got back into disc and started playing tourneys for the first time...I am feeling much better now!

I still don't like getting a disc that's really different from marked weight...but don't worry about the pdga hunting you down during a tourney.

They flex like the firmer end of supersoft. The grip is amazing though. The grip feels almost like my SSS's. So it would sit right between your S Eraser and SSS in grip and flex.

Damn this makes me really want one a few of these now

I have SSS, Eraser, and the $$$. The $ is definitely the most velvety feeling of the three. Soft and grippy,but not as flexible as my SSS, but not as stiff as my Eraser. All in all a good disc, but i still like putting with my SSS better.

Latest posts