• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woodshed vrs Whipping Post

Bikinimower

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I will be driving through the area, hopefully I can hit them both up but if gotta choose one.....Woodshed or Whipping post?

Play both!

But if you can't play both, Whippin' Post has more variety than Woodshed.

But play both! Once you have driven that remarkably windy road to get there, ya might as well play. :)

I prefer the Woodshed. I'm not sure why. It's just my gut feeling.

Both courses are very good. Woodshed #13 is one of my favorite holes anywhere. Plus I really enjoy the par 4s in general on Woodshed.

You really can't go wrong either way. As you hope, it would be great to get to play both. Enjoy!

(Sorry Monocacy... not trying to be contrary. LOL !)

Whipping Post is the technically superior course. Some of the more open holes on Woodshed are boring if you lack the distance for them. Woodshed has more character as a whole though. IMO you haven't really "played Paw Paw" without taking your beating on the ridiculous wooded holes on the Woodshed. YMMV.

Both are legitimately wonderful courses. In short, you can't lose playing either of them... yet you lose if you don't play both. Sorry if that not much help, but it's the truth.

While each course is reasonably well balanced on its own, I recall Whipping Post throwing a lot of tight, hilly holes at you in succession, before finishing with a few long, fairly open holes.

Woodshed seemed to change pace a bit more often, which is why I personally enjoyed it more. But it's kinda like choosing which model you wanna date.

I can't really say that either course is really better than the other, but they do have a somewhat different feel to them. It all comes down to personal preference.

Monocacy's not kidding about the road to get there...it's as memorable as the courses are. There's no getting into or out of that place in a hurry. I wouldn't want to travel on it during particularly snowy or icy conditions... and that's coming from someone who lives in Michigan.

Last edited:
Thought this thread was as good a place as any for this bit of info: both courses got turf tees over the weekend. (I think Tony actually said there are 2 holes still to do.)

Nice! If the weather ever cools off I'd like to do a bagging trip to western MD and adjoining areas. I could spend the day playing new courses but it seems fundamentally wrong to be that close to Paw Paw and not play it.

Nice! If the weather ever cools off I'd like to do a bagging trip to western MD and adjoining areas. I could spend the day playing new courses but it seems fundamentally wrong to be that close to Paw Paw and not play it.

By the time the weather cools down the course at Cacapon Resort State Park will be in the ground as well- at least the first set of tees and pins. Far and away the most elevation of any course I have worked on. It is huge... and awesome.

By the time the weather cools down the course at Cacapon Resort State Park will be in the ground as well- at least the first set of tees and pins. Far and away the most elevation of any course I have worked on. It is huge... and awesome.

Fantastic, thank you! Anything you can disclose about the course now?

I mapped out Paw Paw to Great Cacapon - gives new meaning to the phrase "you can't get there from here." ;)

One more thing - I've seen a fair bit of elevation on your courses, so if this has "far and away the most elevation" of any course you have worked on, I can't wait to play it.

Um, assuming it is not all uphill . . . :D

I mapped out Paw Paw to Great Cacapon - gives new meaning to the phrase "you can't get there from here." ;)

Lol! Just googled Paw Paw to Great Cacapon Resort State Park. Looks to be about 10 miles as a bird flies, but about a 30-35 mile drive. Don't think I've seen two courses so close, yet so far away.

"Far and away the most elevation of any course John's worked on" could be one helluva workout!

My guess is it is 45 minutes to drive between the two.

The course is designed by Nate Hughes and myself. Land is mountainous with some cool rock formations in spots and virtually all wooded. Woods are large trees with little undergrowth. Off the top of my head I would guess there is close to 500 feet of elevation between the highest and lowest points on the course. The first set of stuff to go in will be a mix of what will eventually be longs and shorts and will play maybe 8000 feet with par of 65 or 66. It will be extremely physically demanding to play.

I am headed up there a week from tomorrow for an inspection- Nate is overseeing the work. We might put the baskets in then (poles are already in) but probably not. Tees are going to be a bit of a process but will be turf when done. My best guess on playability is late September as of now. Specialty treated lumber is pretty much unavailable right now so that is part of the hold up. I am trying to re-engineer some things using more readily available materials.

The park is super nice and the management there is vested in making it top notch. There is also a Pete Dye golf course on the property as well as huge lodge/hotel (reminds me of The Shining), cabins, etc.

Last edited:
Lol! Just googled Paw Paw to Great Cacapon Resort State Park. Looks to be about 10 miles as a bird flies, but about a 30-35 mile drive. Don't think I've seen two courses so close, yet so far away.

"Far and away the most elevation of any course John's worked on" could be one helluva workout!

Hover Links in Hilton Head, SC to Jaycee Park in Tybee Island is 15.9 miles in a straight line but a 1:14, 52 mile drive according to Google.

Take a look at Shady Rest to China Peak. :\

Lol! Just googled Paw Paw to Great Cacapon Resort State Park. Looks to be about 10 miles as a bird flies, but about a 30-35 mile drive. Don't think I've seen two courses so close, yet so far away.!

Since we thread drifting, check out Chestnut Mtn in Galena, IL to Felderman park. 5 miles away according to DGCR, but its an hour drive.

I live about 8 miles away from Seneca Creek Park. The bridge between Maryland and VA across the Potomac river about 30 minutes away. 45 minutes total without traffic and about 1 and half with rush hour.

I live about 8 miles away from Seneca Creek Park. The bridge between Maryland and VA across the Potomac river about 30 minutes away. 45 minutes total without traffic and about 1 and half with rush hour.

...Six hours if there's a drop a rain.

*I used to think the Cincy area was awful for driving until I spent two hours getting from the Key Bridge to 23rd and M when it was barely sprinkling.

Yesterday and this morning the weather has been relatively pleasant versus the last 3-4 weeks. Less hot -- less humid. I live on the other side of the mountain and we've opened up the house the last couple nights versus conditioned air.

If you can dodge/wait out the storms over the next day or two the wind doesn't look bad so it should be better than the toaster oven we've had of late.

Which course? Meh -- they're both better than practically everything else, but as others have said, if you're only going to play one I'm a whipping post guy. I think #6 WP is the best basket on the property (for me since I don't throw far it's a great 4 and round crushing 6+) and the elevation is more of a factor on the WP. Plus -- even if you opt Woodshed you really can't visit without throwing #18 WP.

Also . . . have I ever told you about my 2 on #17 WP? :)

Latest posts