• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woodshed vrs Whipping Post

My guess is it is 45 minutes to drive between the two.

The course is designed by Nate Hughes and myself. Land is mountainous with some cool rock formations in spots and virtually all wooded. Woods are large trees with little undergrowth. Off the top of my head I would guess there is close to 500 feet of elevation between the highest and lowest points on the course. The first set of stuff to go in will be a mix of what will eventually be longs and shorts and will play maybe 8000 feet with par of 65 or 66. It will be extremely physically demanding to play.

I am headed up there a week from tomorrow for an inspection- Nate is overseeing the work. We might put the baskets in then (poles are already in) but probably not. Tees are going to be a bit of a process but will be turf when done. My best guess on playability is late September as of now. Specialty treated lumber is pretty much unavailable right now so that is part of the hold up. I am trying to re-engineer some things using more readily available materials.

The park is super nice and the management there is vested in making it top notch. There is also a Pete Dye golf course on the property as well as huge lodge/hotel (reminds me of The Shining), cabins, etc.

Will this be a Pay to Play course John? I am really excited to play this course when it is available and will most certainly be renting a cabin on the property.

Will this be a Pay to Play course John? I am really excited to play this course when it is available and will most certainly be renting a cabin on the property.

It will be free to play. I have been very impressed by the commitment of the State of West Virginia to its State Parks. Considerably different than here imo.

Fantastic, thank you! Anything you can disclose about the course now?

I mapped out Paw Paw to Great Cacapon - gives new meaning to the phrase "you can't get there from here." ;)

And if the map says "lane and a half dirt" take them at their word. [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the Woodshed. I'm not sure why. It's just my gut feeling.

I also prefer Woodshed but not by a lot. I think Whipping Post is more stressful with the one throw near the gigantic dropoff. But I always play both when I go.

Lol! Just googled Paw Paw to Great Cacapon Resort State Park. Looks to be about 10 miles as a bird flies, but about a 30-35 mile drive. Don't think I've seen two courses so close, yet so far away.

"Far and away the most elevation of any course John's worked on" could be one helluva workout!

Uh, I have with Powerhouse Ally in Oahe Stake rec/park and Steamboat park. The river with bridges or Oahe dam makes something that is 5 miles away straight on, 10 miles away the close way and 15 over the dam route. Being we have 3 or 4th largest earth dam in the world it makes the route over dame longer then it needs to be.

It will be free to play. I have been very impressed by the commitment of the State of West Virginia to its State Parks. Considerably different than here imo.

I lived in Virginia for 13 years now and I don't even think I have seen a State park.

Virginia State Parks are consistently rated the best in the nation.

According to, um, the official tourism website for the Commonwealth of Virginia :rolleyes:
seems a bit of a suspect source to me...

My daughter and I camped at Shenandoah River State Park last Thanksgiving weekend. It was a'ight. Nice trails and some gorgeous views .There were a decent # of campers that weekend, but I doubt more than 1/3 of the campsites were taken.... so running out of hot water was pretty lame. :mad:

Ludington State Park in MI definitely has nicer camping accommodations.

I lived in Virginia for 13 years now and I don't even think I have seen a State park.

There is one within 5 miles of where I am sitting that has a line down the road out front to get in all weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day but still they "have no money."

So if I wanted to play these can you just show up to play or do you have to call ahead, make reservations, etc? I was thinking of playing these 2 in September.

So if I wanted to play these can you just show up to play or do you have to call ahead, make reservations, etc? I was thinking of playing these 2 in September.

Normally you just show up. But these days who knows.

West Virginia Open is scheduled for September 5-6, so the course should be in great shape.

I need to get out there again. It is only 90 minutes from home.

Normally you just show up. But these days who knows.

West Virginia Open is scheduled for September 5-6, so the course should be in great shape.

I need to get out there again. It is only 90 minutes from home.

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Pittsburgh. Moraine, Deer lakes, knob hill, north boundary and I figured since I'm pretty close I'd hit these. They've been on my wishlist for awhile now.

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Pittsburgh. Moraine, Deer lakes, knob hill, north boundary and I figured since I'm pretty close I'd hit these. They've been on my wishlist for awhile now.

Nice. There's some dang fine disc golf courses in that area. I hit Pittsburgh a while ago but still need to play North Boundary, Linbrook, and Two Mile Run.

Don't forget about Orange Crush and the Grand Vue courses in WV. And if you get further east, Ditto Farms (about an hour from Paw Paw), Cove Valley, Clark's Run, Woodsboro, Seneca Creek, Patapsco Valley, etc. :D

Nice. There's some dang fine disc golf courses in that area. I hit Pittsburgh a while ago but still need to play North Boundary, Linbrook, and Two Mile Run.

Don't forget about Orange Crush and the Grand Vue courses in WV. And if you get further east, Ditto Farms (about an hour from Paw Paw), Cove Valley, Clark's Run, Woodsboro, Seneca Creek, Patapsco Valley, etc. :D

Yeah that's your neck of the woods east of there hey? Paw paw was about as far east as I can probably go, but orange crush/Seth Burton looked intriguing and will probably be in the plans. I'd like to get a Maryland course, but there's only two in that little sliver between PA and WV.

When you say "pretty close" you're ok with 3 hours, right? Just checking. :)

Where I am it's 1 hour to the Paw Paw courses and a little over two hours to Pittsburgh. Just sayin'.

... those last few miles on Magnolia up to Whipping Post Way make if feel a bit longer.

Wolf - get out there if you can. Truly spectacular scenery. You hit those, plus Moraine, and Deer Lakes on a single trip.... that's one helluva trip. Courses like those are the reason I make DG road trips.

When you say "pretty close" you're ok with 3 hours, right? Just checking. :)

Where I am it's 1 hour to the Paw Paw courses and a little over two hours to Pittsburgh. Just sayin'.

... those last few miles on Magnolia up to Whipping Post Way make if feel a bit longer.

Wolf - get out there if you can. Truly spectacular scenery. You hit those, plus Moraine, and Deer Lakes on a single trip.... that's one helluva trip. Courses like those are the reason I make DG road trips.

Yeah I'm ok with 3 hours. I guess pretty close isn't the right wording. I feel like it's worth it, especially if I'm that "close".

I'll have 9 days and will probably drive the majority (Toledo) if not all the way the first day. And I wanted to play something epic for #500. Lots of great options over that way. 11 hours to Pittsburgh though.

Yeah that's your neck of the woods east of there hey? Paw paw was about as far east as I can probably go, but orange crush/Seth Burton looked intriguing and will probably be in the plans. I'd like to get a Maryland course, but there's only two in that little sliver between PA and WV.

You can bag MD in about 20 minutes if you play Central. :D

It would actually only be 5 minutes out of the way when heading back West from Paw Paw. If you're planning on hitting the PA turnpike instead of I68 W then it wouldn't even be that far.

And if you can schedule it, a round with the course designer would be a bonus. ;)