• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woodshed vrs Whipping Post

Yeah that's your neck of the woods east of there hey?

Ya, you betcha. Frederick, MD

Paw paw was about as far east as I can probably go, but orange crush/Seth Burton looked intriguing and will probably be in the plans.

One other course to consider: A Biscoe-designed course is scheduled for fall in Capacon Resort State Park, a rock's throw (but a 43 minute drive) east of Paw Paw. Supposed to be an epic course when done.

I'd like to get a Maryland course, but there's only two in that little sliver between PA and WV.

I would defer to JimB on Western MD sliver courses lol.

Yeah I'm ok with 3 hours. I guess pretty close isn't the right wording. I feel like it's worth it, especially if I'm that "close".

I'll have 9 days and will probably drive the majority (Toledo) if not all the way the first day. And I wanted to play something epic for #500. Lots of great options over that way. 11 hours to Pittsburgh though.

Dude, hit me up if you have time for a round here. Nothing over a 3.25, but they're all fun, right?

Well I appreciate all the good info and advice from everyone. I probably should've started my own thread lol.

I'll have to look at WV a little closer tonight or tomorrow. I've only really delved into Pittsburgh so far. I was thinking a few days in Pitt, then swing over to woodshed/WP and maybe stay somewhere by Seth Burton ( no idea where yet).

As far as MD? Courses it looked like just the 2 in the "sliver" or western part.

I'll meander my way back through central OH somewhere (no idea yet) but want to play the top one there.

In addition to Orange Crush you might consider the Black Course in Moundsville (Grand Vue Park). Two other courses on location as well.

If they're near each other I'll definitely consider that one too. That's top 5 in WV if I recall correctly. Those 2 (Grand Vue), Woodshed/WP and Seth Burton/Orange Crush would all be nice since it's 3 stops.

And now what course should I consider in MD? I'm trying not to overplan since they're all going to be tough courses.

Ditto Farms is a very good course. It has two tees and two baskets per hole. It would probably be the best bang for your buck, so to speak. It's only about five minutes off of I70, but it is almost an hour East of Cumberland.

If you really just want to bag a course in MD, I was serious about Central Assembly of God DGC in Cumberland. It's a simple, but IMO fun, 9. There are two sets of tees, Red and White. I also have a Blue, safari, layout that can be played if nobody else is on the course... and there most likely won't be. You do have to be aware of the hours it's available since it's on site at my church/kid's school.

I've never played Wisp and don't know if it's even open this season. It's about 20 minutes off of I68 on the way back West through MD and WV.

Ditto Farms is a very good course. It has two tees and two baskets per hole. It would probably be the best bang for your buck, so to speak. It's only about five minutes off of I70, but it is almost an hour East of Cumberland.

I just planned the first parts of the trip. I was ecstatic that Ditto Farms was right there. I couldn't even believe it. I'm playing that one for sure.

I'll probably play Central Assembly on my way to Fairmont. I'll either do Poor House or Jim Barnett. Maybe both but I'll be beat at that point. Might as well add a VA course too, so most likely JB.

I just planned the first parts of the trip. I was ecstatic that Ditto Farms was right there. I couldn't even believe it. I'm playing that one for sure.

Ditto Farms is an excellent choice. I played it yesterday. Lots of variety, some very fun and challenging holes, and right off the interstate.

I'll probably play Central Assembly on my way to Fairmont. I'll either do Poor House or Jim Barnett. Maybe both but I'll be beat at that point. Might as well add a VA course too, so most likely JB.

Jim Barnett is a lovely, enjoyable woods course. I would strongly recommend it over Poor House. Bunch of other decent courses nearby - Sherando, Rockland, Signal View . . .

And from Jim Barnett, you are only an hour from Clark's Run . . . :D

Jim Barnett is a lovely, enjoyable woods course. I would strongly recommend it over Poor House. Bunch of other decent courses nearby - Sherando, Rockland, Signal View . . .

And from Jim Barnett, you are only an hour from Clark's Run . . . :D

Well Jim Barnett it is then, and if I have time or energy, Sherando maybe. That's as far as I'll get, over to Fairmont for Orange Crush after that. Clark's Run will have to wait for another time or I'll be in Miami before I know it. ��

I've never played Wisp and don't know if it's even open this season. It's about 20 minutes off of I68 on the way back West through MD and WV.

WISP isn't worth it. I played it once just because it's there and I have a friend who lives near Deep Creek Lake. It has 9 holes at the bottom which are just short throws around a field then you talk the ski lift to the top to play the back 9. Expensive and the lift takes forever. You do get two massive downhills but you get that at the Black Course for free. I do recall throwing #10 at WISP (656 feet downhill) and thinking "Crap, it's in the woods on the right. No it passed them and now will be in the pond on the right. No it's taking a massive left turn and wow, it's parked for a 2. I enjoyed that. The other massive downhill is #18 (558 feet) but it's a wide open grassy hillside == boring.

Last edited:
Ditto Farms is a very good course. It has two tees and two baskets per hole. It would probably be the best bang for your buck, so to speak.
Count me among those who recommend Ditto. Enjoyed it so much, I played two rounds there: short tees to long baskets, and long tees to short baskets. Perhaps nothing spectacular, but somehow a gem of a course, nonetheless. More than a solid course with wonderful variety, and good execution. and fun couple of rounds, and very glad I stopped there. Solid 4.0 in my book.

Last edited:
I prefer Poorhouse to Barnett but both are good. I probably prefer Rockland to either but only in the cooler months.
Same almost. I'm at Rockland as much as humanly possible. It's super technical with great use of the elevation changes. I sort of consider it a cross between Blockhouse Darkside and the Paw Paw courses.

Well I appreciate all the good info and advice from everyone. I probably should've started my own thread lol.

I'll have to look at WV a little closer tonight or tomorrow. I've only really delved into Pittsburgh so far. I was thinking a few days in Pitt, then swing over to woodshed/WP and maybe stay somewhere by Seth Burton ( no idea where yet).

As far as MD? Courses it looked like just the 2 in the "sliver" or western part.

I'll meander my way back through central OH somewhere (no idea yet) but want to play the top one there.

Without checking Google maps, I believe the Pittsburgh courses are not much farther from Seth Burton than the Moundsville (GrandVue) courses. If it's a bagging trip, there are three courses there. But they're no comparison to the Pittsburgh courses you mentioned, unless your aching for some long, open holes after all the other technical courses.

For Maryland, Seneca Creek is the closest solid course and Ditto Farms looks decent. And don't forget Clark's Run in VA! But there are easy ones to bag (e.g. a new 9 hole in Cumberland) if that's the objective. And if you want an east coast ski-slope course, there's always Wisp. The Cumberland and Wisp course will be very close or on the way if you're playing Paw Paw.

Well I got it planned out now.

Day 1 I'll drive to Toledo. Playing Deadwood in MI.

Day 2 I'm playing 2 in Ohio before heading to Pittsburgh for course #500. Moraine. Then playing Deer Lakes, Knob Hill etc. for the next 2 days.

Day 5 I'm heading to Whippin Post/Woodshed then staying in Hagerstown MD.

Day 6 will be Ditto Farms and probably Jim Barnett to get a VA course, then heading to Fairmont.

Day 7 will be Orange Crush/Seth Burton then Meathouse Fork before heading to Dayton OH.

Day 8 will be some Dayton courses and 1 in IN on my way to Joliet.

Day 9 I'll do some Joliet courses and I'll sneak 1 in in WI on my way home.

8 different states total and 4 new to me ones.

Well I got it planned out now.

Day 1 I'll drive to Toledo. Playing Deadwood in MI.

Day 2 I'm playing 2 in Ohio before heading to Pittsburgh for course #500. Moraine. Then playing Deer Lakes, Knob Hill etc. for the next 2 days.

Day 6 will be Ditto Farms and probably Jim Barnett to get a VA course, then heading to Fairmont.

Day 7 will be Orange Crush/Seth Burton then Meathouse Fork before heading to Dayton OH.

Day 8 will be some Dayton courses and 1 in IN on my way to Joliet.

Day 9 I'll do some Joliet courses and I'll sneak 1 in in WI on my way home.

8 different states total and 4 new to me ones.

Looks like a blast. If you end up in Cumberland and have aces minutes let me know... if you like.

Sounds like an excellent trip. If you could use a course guide for this stretch of the adventure, I know a guy. ;)

Don't forget Linbrook. It's pretty close to Knob and my top rated 9 hole for sure. Maybe check course status or PM Chris Deitzel (one of the early reviewers and one of the designers) to make sure it's not overgrown. If you have two days in the area, I'd say Linbrook is a must. Its rating is not inflated.

Don't forget Linbrook. It's pretty close to Knob and my top rated 9 hole for sure. Maybe check course status or PM Chris Deitzel (one of the early reviewers and one of the designers) to make sure it's not overgrown. If you have two days in the area, I'd say Linbrook is a must. Its rating is not inflated.

I think I have Linbrook on my trip. I'll have to look tonight. I have to look over the VA portion too, make sure I don't miss anything.

Sounds like an excellent trip. If you could use a course guide for this stretch of the adventure, I know a guy. ;)

Ok, so I did a little more browsing around for my MD and VA portion. And to be honest, I've heard of Clark's Run a little bit. Never actually looked into it. I did now and yep, No Jim Barnett or Poorhouse. Looked into Rockland too but I'm going to have to do Clark's Run. Again thank you all for the great insight, without you guys I might have missed this. :doh:

That said I'd be more than happy to have a local/course guide for Clark's Run/Ditto. Or even Whippin post/Woodshed. It'll be 10/1 and I'll be staying in Hagerstown. So, anybody that would want to play with me and Mrs. wolf, let's do it. JimB, Mono, whoever!!! I could do them in either order. Heading to Fairmont for Seth burton/Orange Crush the next day so I'd need travel time for that.

On a side note, It sounds like Mono's drivers are magical and I don't have any. I can find more excuses if need be. :D

Latest posts