• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woodshed vrs Whipping Post

Don't forget Linbrook. It's pretty close to Knob and my top rated 9 hole for sure. Maybe check course status or PM Chris Deitzel (one of the early reviewers and one of the designers) to make sure it's not overgrown. If you have two days in the area, I'd say Linbrook is a must. Its rating is not inflated.

I actually didn't have Linbrook, I had Creeping Creek (9) paired with Sugarcreek (20). They're both way out there. Would you recommend Schenely and Linbrook over these. Or even something else with Linbrook? I'll do Linbrook for sure, especially coming from you! I have 2 full days in the Pittsburgh area. Wanna do Moraine the first day for #500. Open after that really. Well obviously Deer lakes too.

Again, and I can't overstate it enough, I really appreciate all the great info from you guys ��

Last edited:
I actually didn't have Linbrook, I had Creeping Creek (9) paired with Sugarcreek (20). They're both way out there. Would you recommend Schenely and Linbrook over these. Or even something else with Linbrook? I'll do Linbrook for sure, especially coming from you! I have 2 full days in the Pittsburgh area. Wanna do Moraine the first day for #500. Open after that really. Well obviously Deer lakes too.

Again, and I can't overstate it enough, I really appreciate all the great info from you guys ��

I think I'd play Linbrook over Creeping Creek and Sugarcreek but I haven't played those, so hard to say. The advantage is that it's close to Knob as well as being special for a 9-holer.

Pittsburgh area has amazing courses. I'd say Deer Lakes and Moraine are the two "can't miss" courses. Other than that, there are a number of good courses within striking distance. Schenley is fun, downtown, and has been around for a while, but nothing special. North Boundary is an exciting new one that might be worth playing, but I hear it's longer and more challenging than Moraine and Deer Lakes without the same fun factor at this point.

Again, you can't go wrong if you hit Moraine/DL and then fill in other courses as you can. I'm jealous you've got such a cool trip planned! Have fun!

I played Sugarcreek last Fall on my yearly Pittsburgh area adventure and really enjoyed it. It's a bit rough around the edges but some really fun greens and basket locations. It's quirky and memorable.

MD/VA

Ok, so I did a little more browsing around for my MD and VA portion. And to be honest, I've heard of Clark's Run a little bit. Never actually looked into it. I did now and yep, No Jim Barnett or Poorhouse. Looked into Rockland too but I'm going to have to do Clark's Run. Again thank you all for the great insight, without you guys I might have missed this. :doh:

That said I'd be more than happy to have a local/course guide for Clark's Run/Ditto. Or even Whippin post/Woodshed. It'll be 10/1 and I'll be staying in Hagerstown. So, anybody that would want to play with me and Mrs. wolf, let's do it. JimB, Mono, whoever!!! I could do them in either order. Heading to Fairmont for Seth burton/Orange Crush the next day so I'd need travel time for that.

On a side note, It sounds like Mono's drivers are magical and I don't have any. I can find more excuses if need be. :D

Barnett and Poorhouse are good courses. Whether Poorhouse has been recently maintained, or not, determines which one I rate slightly higher.

Rockland and Ditto are very fine courses. I play Ditto much more often, as it is an hour, v. 1.75 hours, away from me, and enjoy both, but Rockland does have more maintenance considerations

Clark's Run should be a candidate for the best course in Virginia/Mid-Atlantic, assuming one prefers one's courses wooded, v. open bombing.

Well I got it planned out now.

Day 1 I'll drive to Toledo. Playing Deadwood in MI.

Day 2 I'm playing 2 in Ohio before heading to Pittsburgh for course #500. Moraine. Then playing Deer Lakes, Knob Hill etc. for the next 2 days.

Day 5 I'm heading to Whippin Post/Woodshed then staying in Hagerstown MD.

Day 6 will be Ditto Farms and probably Jim Barnett to get a VA course, then heading to Fairmont.

Day 7 will be Orange Crush/Seth Burton then Meathouse Fork before heading to Dayton OH.

Day 8 will be some Dayton courses and 1 in IN on my way to Joliet.

Day 9 I'll do some Joliet courses and I'll sneak 1 in in WI on my way home.

8 different states total and 4 new to me ones.

Heading to Joliet, IL? Do check out Highland Park - challenging course (wooded/technical - but a ton of fun) and the next town over - in Lockwood I believe - checkout The Canyons. That course is a track meet - but man the scenery and elevation change make it superb. This one is adding an additional 9 to make it a 27 hole course. tho the added holes may still be a work in progress...The J-town club has a lot of fun guys, so hit them up on FB. One of the locals will be happy to show you around I'm sure. Those 2 courses compliment each other so well. Very memorable golf. Have a great trip!

Ok, so I did a little more browsing around for my MD and VA portion. And to be honest, I've heard of Clark's Run a little bit. Never actually looked into it. I did now and yep, No Jim Barnett or Poorhouse. Looked into Rockland too but I'm going to have to do Clark's Run. Again thank you all for the great insight, without you guys I might have missed this. :doh:

That said I'd be more than happy to have a local/course guide for Clark's Run/Ditto. Or even Whippin post/Woodshed. It'll be 10/1 and I'll be staying in Hagerstown. So, anybody that would want to play with me and Mrs. wolf, let's do it. JimB, Mono, whoever!!! I could do them in either order. Heading to Fairmont for Seth burton/Orange Crush the next day so I'd need travel time for that.

On a side note, It sounds like Mono's drivers are magical and I don't have any. I can find more excuses if need be. :D

Let me know when you get to town wrt to CLark's Run! I'm out there frequently and would be happy to show you around. Matter of fact - I hope to rake the pond this weekend to try retrieve my disc :) Last Monday a torrential down pour disturbed leagues and stole a disc from me dropping it into the pond on 2. between the high winds and not being on able to really grip the disc, the disc gods said thank for the sacrifice. Mother nature has scoreboard on me at the moment...to which I plan to reply - you can't have my Katana (for now).

Last edited:

:thmbup:

Sounds great, I am always happy to have an excuse to take off work. Clark's Run and Ditto for sure, and I'd love to hit Paw Paw again. Shoot me a PM when your plans firm up, please.

Haha. Unfortunately they are only magical when OTHER people throw them. :doh:

Heading to Joliet, IL? Do check out Highland Park - challenging course (wooded/technical - but a ton of fun) and the next town over - in Lockwood I believe - checkout The Canyons.

I haven't played Highland park yet. That'll be the last day, so it depends how much the other courses beat me up.

I played the Canyons and West Park last year. The Canyons is one of my favorites. 👍

Sounds great, I am always happy to have an excuse to take off work. Clark's Run and Ditto for sure, and I'd love to hit Paw Paw again. Shoot me a PM when your plans firm up, please.

Sounds good. I'll have a little more time this weekend to lock everything down. I'll do Clark's Run And Ditto for sure now. 👍

I actually like Whispering Falls more than Ditto out of those two close together courses. Just thought I would toss that out there for more confusion. I will say the teepads there are the worst ever though.

I haven't played Highland park yet. That'll be the last day, so it depends how much the other courses beat me up.

I played the Canyons and West Park last year. The Canyons is one of my favorites. 👍

I really like Highland. Lots of really fun shots out there. It's definitely rough around the edges, but probably still top 5 in the Chicago area.

I really like Highland. Lots of really fun shots out there. It's definitely rough around the edges, but probably still top 5 in the Chicago area.

Agree it's on of the best on the area, and I do enjoy it, but it's a good 1/2 disc lower than Canyons or Fairfield...at least IMO.

I actually like Whispering Falls more than Ditto out of those two close together courses. Just thought I would toss that out there for more confusion. I will say the teepads there are the worst ever though.

:thmbup: I like WF, too. I do like Ditto more, though, probably because of the multiple tee and basket options. I also think that adding a course in MD is why Ditto was picked.

:thmbup: I like WF, too. I do like Ditto more, though, probably because of the multiple tee and basket options. I also think that adding a course in MD is why Ditto was picked.

Makes sense I guess, I think best MD course is Seneca though. Then best VA in the area would be Clarke's Run. Both my opinion of course.

He go both Deer Lake and Moraine which those two are amazing. Then Whippin Post + Woodshed which is also the correct answer. Then I would personally hit up Seneca + Clarke's Run.
"
Day 5 I'm heading to Whippin Post/Woodshed then staying in Hagerstown MD.

Day 6 will be Ditto Farms and probably Jim Barnett to get a VA course, then heading to Fairmont.
"

Clark's Run, Woodsboro and Ditto on day 6 now. Then heading to Fairmont.

Agree it's on of the best on the area, and I do enjoy it, but it's a good 1/2 disc lower than Canyons or Fairfield...at least IMO.

I tend to agree. I've got Highland down for a 4 and the other two at 4.5. All 3 are well worth a spin.

Back on topic, I'm jealous of the itinerary WH!

Back on topic, I'm jealous of the itinerary WH!

Yeah I can't wait. It's my most ambitious trip, that's for sure. I'll probably just end up playing a few 9's by Joliet. I'll save Highland until another time. Still a lot of courses in that area I've never played.

Just wanted to be sure and toss in another vote for Linbrook. If it's decently groomed it is a helluva set of 9 holes. Pretty close to Knob Hill, too.

Enjoy the trip! I grew up near to Moraine, wish I would have started taking advantage of the disc golf in my youth, rather than when I moved away. :D

Latest posts