• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working Stiff's Bag

The case against minimalism: I lost all my Valks. :| All my DX and Pro ones, I still have Champ and Star Valks around. I've lost more discs this month than the entire decade leading up to it. Twice in the last three weeks I lost two Valks on one hole. It's astounding how many Valks I've lost. When you have basically one driver, you have to throw it no matter the situation.

Is three putt going to try and throw something from the last decade????

Is three putt going to try and throw something from the last decade????
I mean probably not. :|

I found a tourney stamped DX Valk in the stash (2005 Flying Pig Open; musta got from somebody in the Nati years ago and forgot about it) and a light DX Viking, plus I had two Pro Valks in with the Pro Starfires. I'm back in business.

Ugh, three years is a long time.

So basically I can't play disc golf anymore. I've got a torn rotator cuff. My back is blown out (L3/L4 disc is toast). I need both knees replaced. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and I've lost all feeling in my fingertips so I can't feel the disc in my hand. Also I have to fan grip everything; my fingers won't power grip anymore. There is just no way for me to play disc golf anymore.

Whatever, let's frolf.

For years I have carefully selected discs with a purpose. I never actually was good enough to be competitive, but I took a somewhat serious approach to how I prepared to end up on the second round last card.

This is no longer the case.

We are remodeling the house and my Zuca card was in the way; it got shoved in the basement in deep storage. The discs I was using were in there.

No cart means the old Fade bag that was being used as storage is back in play. The discs in it are just a random assortment of discs I wasn't using.
picture.php

I just never got around to swapping the discs from the cart to the bag, so I have a hodge podge of discs in play.

Putters:
picture.php

172g small bead Aviar
173g small bead glow Aviar
170g small bead Aviar
174g small bead Omega AP
175g big bead Omega AP
174g fossil Scale.

The Aviars and the small bead Omega I had out to use for putting league. I have no idea why the Big Bead Omega is there. The fossil Scale should be in the cart so I'm not upset that it's in the bag, but I wonder what is in the cart? Anyway, I should be putting with Gateway Warlocks but I actually can't feel these discs in my hand, putting is next to impossible and could probably putt with paper plates at this point since I'm not making any of them.

Midranges!
picture.php

???g Z Sol
166g Z Comet
174g Z Comet
177+ ESP Comet
177 Brinster Q Sentinel

The Sol has a duplicate that is in the cart, so it's good that this one is in the bag. The 166g Z Comet is a turnover Comet that was replaced, the 174g Z Comet was my go-to for years and I kinda retired it, and the ESP Comet I got as a gift and already had other discs in that slot so it never made my bag. I'm pretty sure the cart is full of Rocs. I replaced the Sentinel with a Gila a while back. Basically none of this stuff was my #1 choice anymore, but I know what they all do and it works.

Fairways:
picture.php

175g DX Leopard
170g DX Leopard
165g Champ Leopard
167g QJLS

I have no guesses here; the DX Leopards I threw like a decade ago. The Champ Leopard is a subject for another post. The QJLS makes sense, I really like it and it's sometimes in my bag so it should have been there. There is no Banshee or EXP1 or TeeBird here; it's kinda heavy on flippy, light on hyzer.

Drivers:
picture.php

(2) 167-9g Ace Race Z Heat
175g DX Firebird
171g DX Firebird

I think the Heat were pulled out because I was going to play a course blind in a glow round and I didn't want to lose my Valks so...there you go. I throw DX Firebirds, these are just beat up so they weren't in the cart anymore.

Just kinda a random assortment of discs. It doesn't really matter that much; there are more shots that I can't throw than can throw anymore.

This disc is ticking me off:

picture.php

So Champ Leopards can be beefy, but this guy was 165g so I figured that should put it in the ballpark. It's also road-rashed on a sidewalk and hit a number of trees so it's got some seasoning. I should be able to throw it, right?

Wrong. Every time I throw it I end up about 100' off the tee. Sometimes I turn and burn it. Sometimes I don't get any air under it. Sometimes it just hyzers and dies. It never has any glide; it's always looking for the ground. I'm getting nothing from it.

I'm just not ready to except that my body is so broken that I can't throw a 165g Champ Leopard so I keep it in the bag and throw it four or five times a round.

1997 Ice Bowl stamp is an awesome "hey, I'm an OG" humblebrag. :D

1997 Ice Bowl stamp is an awesome "hey, I'm an OG" humblebrag. :D
About 12 years ago I made an actual effort to replace the old stuff that I could replace, so I don't often have those really old discs in the bag. Some of those discs that I put in the bag 12 years ago so I wouldn't be throwing old discs are older than the disc they replaced were, but circa 2010 discs don't set off bells and whistles.

Latest posts