• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working Stiff's Bag

I wasn't really having any luck turning the JLS over, so I added a disc to the bag:

picture.php

Welcome back, Jherk Face.

Jherk Face drives all my friends crazy. "How many golf discs do you own and you are throwing THAT?" Yep, Imma gonna throw that.

Gargh, didn't update my thread.

Completely lost the feel for the APX mid-summer but decided to stick it out, still putting with them.

Never clicked at all with Comets, gave up and went back to Rocs. Went back to Comets recently since I was throwing the Rocs well and decided I should **** my game up.

Still can't turn over a driver, started throwing some gawdaful flippy thing (Signal?) but still can't throw a driver to save mah life.

Bought a Champ Viper. Throw it all the time. Can't defend it, don't recommend it. It overlaps with, like...everything? Whatever, it's fun and I do what I want.

Distance Drivers
(2) Firm unLace 166g
(1) GStar Firebird 175g
(1) DX Firebird 168g
(1) Champ Valkyrie 168g
(1) DX Valkyrie 175g
Control Drivers
(1) QJLS 168g
(2) MVP Signal 174g/175g
(1) EXP-X 175g
(1) Champ Viper 180g
Mids:
(1) ESP GLo Comet 177g
(1) Big Z Comet 174g
(1) X Comet 177g
(1) Q Sentinel (Brinster) 177g
(1) DX Condor 198g
Putters:
(2) Jawbreaker APX 174g
(1) Fossil Scale 174g
(1) DX XDs 175g
(1) Lightning Upshot 174g
(1) DX Zephyr 198g

So here is my real, actual, real-world problem with Comets. When I'm in the woods and have to throw them between things, they are great. I'm getting really nice results with the Comet there. Once I'm out in the open and just need to throw a mid shot from point A to point B, I'm helpless. I flip them. I get them too high and they dump. I worm burn them. Pretty much any way you can screw up a shot, I'm doing it. Then I can pick up that same disc that I couldn't throw on a simple open point A to point B shot and laser beam it down a wooded fairway. Makes no sense at all. I wasn't having the same issue with Rocs, not sure what my problem with the Comet is. I'm getting good enough result in the woods to try to work through it, though.

So here is my real, actual, real-world problem with Comets. When I'm in the woods and have to throw them between things, they are great. I'm getting really nice results with the Comet there. Once I'm out in the open and just need to throw a mid shot from point A to point B, I'm helpless. I flip them. I get them too high and they dump. I worm burn them. Pretty much any way you can screw up a shot, I'm doing it. Then I can pick up that same disc that I couldn't throw on a simple open point A to point B shot and laser beam it down a wooded fairway. Makes no sense at all. I wasn't having the same issue with Rocs, not sure what my problem with the Comet is. I'm getting good enough result in the woods to try to work through it, though.

I get this :hfive:

If I can, I try and throw my most stable Comet in the open and throw hyzers with them, but usually I'm using an OS putter or a driver when in the open.

Gargh, didn't update my thread.

Completely lost the feel for the APX mid-summer but decided to stick it out, still putting with them.

Never clicked at all with Comets, gave up and went back to Rocs. Went back to Comets recently since I was throwing the Rocs well and decided I should **** my game up.

Still can't turn over a driver, started throwing some gawdaful flippy thing (Signal?) but still can't throw a driver to save mah life.

Bought a Champ Viper. Throw it all the time. Can't defend it, don't recommend it. It overlaps with, like...everything? Whatever, it's fun and I do what I want.

The Champion Viper is a disc that just is not that good and has lots of variation in the disc its self. Innova needs to come back with the Whippet in other plastic then Star for the overstable just past midrange shot as the Pro and KC Pro were the bast plastics for that disc. However the KC plastic was dumped as soon as they first made the plastic type.

Last edited:
My bag is a straight-up mess. I don't even know what I'm putting with. I know one thing, though: I got a sparkle Z Comet and I'm throwing it!

picture.php

I have a Zuca cart, but I play golf while I'm waiting for my kid to get out of band practice and every try to jam a Zuca cart and a J bass in the same trunk? So I've pulled the old Fade bag that won't die back out to take on those trips, but in league I still use the cart because...I have a cart. :| I started by moving discs back and forth, but at some point I ended up with Rocs in the bag and Comets in the cart, Wizards in the bag and APX in the cart, JLS in the bag and Cyclones in the cart, Roadrunners in the bag and Valks in the cart, etc. So I legit have no idea what I'm throwing anymore. I suppose I need to figure that out at some point. :\

I have a Zuca cart, but I play golf while I'm waiting for my kid to get out of band practice and every try to jam a Zuca cart and a J bass in the same trunk? So I've pulled the old Fade bag that won't die back out to take on those trips, but in league I still use the cart because...I have a cart. :| I started by moving discs back and forth, but at some point I ended up with Rocs in the bag and Comets in the cart, Wizards in the bag and APX in the cart, JLS in the bag and Cyclones in the cart, Roadrunners in the bag and Valks in the cart, etc. So I legit have no idea what I'm throwing anymore. I suppose I need to figure that out at some point. :\

Compared to some on this site...that's pretty minimalist compared to bags and setups...how's that pretty Comet fly?

Haven't been out yet. :\

I'm hoping to bag a new course Saturday when I'm in St. Louis, but I'm not taking the new Comet on the road to someplace I've never been before. Sunday I have an event; the college disc golf club coordinates with the mining department and set up a course that plays around and in the experimental mine. Last year nine of the holes were in the mine, and a bunch of the holes outside were in the quarry. The new Comet will NOT be participating in that.

Wizard I got at the event last year; it was new when the event started.

picture.php

I might not get to throw the Comet until next week.

I mean that would be the fastest way to season a Comet...have it get chewed up in a mine and a quarry...sounds like a fun event nonetheless.

Three week later I finally bagged that course. Still haven't thrown the Comet, though. :\

Kinda goofing with putters/approach discs mostly. I stuck a really old grid stamped big bead Aviar in the bag along with an Omega AP big bead and missed all my putts for a month but they have been OKish recently. The Sol is a fun disc to throw so I think I'm keeping it. The combination is working for upshots and approaches at least. I might have to go back to the Scale crutch at some point but right now I'm just messing around.

I've had a Champ Roc around for a bit but I'm finally working that in. I'll get around to working with the Comet someday.

Drivers are simple; either hyzer flip a Valk or flex a Firebird. That's all I've got.

Distance Drivers
(2) Firm unLace 166g
(1) GStar Firebird 175g
(1) DX Firebird 168g
(1) Champ Valkyrie 168g
(1) DX Valkyrie 175g
Control Drivers
(1) QJLS 168g
(2) MVP Signal 174g/175g
(1) EXP-X 175g
(1) Champ Viper 180g
Mids:
(1) ESP GLo Comet 177g
(1) Big Z Comet 174g
(1) DX Roc 180g
(1) KC Pro Roc 180g
(1) 2017 USDGC Roc 180g
(1) DX Condor 198g
Putters:
(1) DX Aviar (big bead) 172g
(1) Omega AP big bead 175g
(1) Z Sol 168g
(1) ESP Sol (Ace Race) 172g
(1) DX Zephyr 198g

Do you need the control drivers slot? Can you just power down a FB or Valk?

Three week later I finally bagged that course. Still haven't thrown the Comet, though. :\

Kinda goofing with putters/approach discs mostly. I stuck a really old grid stamped big bead Aviar in the bag along with an Omega AP big bead and missed all my putts for a month but they have been OKish recently. The Sol is a fun disc to throw so I think I'm keeping it. The combination is working for upshots and approaches at least. I might have to go back to the Scale crutch at some point but right now I'm just messing around.

I've had a Champ Roc around for a bit but I'm finally working that in. I'll get around to working with the Comet someday.

Drivers are simple; either hyzer flip a Valk or flex a Firebird. That's all I've got.

Distance Drivers
(2) Firm unLace 166g
(1) GStar Firebird 175g
(1) DX Firebird 168g
(1) Champ Valkyrie 168g
(1) DX Valkyrie 175g
Control Drivers
(1) QJLS 168g
(2) MVP Signal 174g/175g
(1) EXP-X 175g
(1) Champ Viper 180g
Mids:
(1) ESP GLo Comet 177g
(1) Big Z Comet 174g
(1) DX Roc 180g
(1) KC Pro Roc 180g
(1) 2017 USDGC Roc 180g
(1) DX Condor 198g
Putters:
(1) DX Aviar (big bead) 172g
(1) Omega AP big bead 175g
(1) Z Sol 168g
(1) ESP Sol (Ace Race) 172g
(1) DX Zephyr 198g
Do you actually carry all of those? That seems exhausting.

*edit* Even with the cart that seems exhausting.

And who the @#$% is Working Stiff and why are you posting in his thread 3Putt? :|

Do you actually carry all of those? That seems exhausting.

*edit* Even with the cart that seems exhausting.
That's the bag set-up, the cart can carry waaayyy more stuff.

Way back in the day there wasn't really a decent bag on the market. My bag was a Wall City Cube, and it had no frame. How you kept it in shape was to cram it as full as you could and let the discs keep it from flopping over. I just got used to that. Even now I cram as many discs in a bag as I can figure out a place to cram them. A bag with open space is not something my OCD can handle.

Fun Fact: I replaced the Wall City bag with a large Lighting bag. The Lightning bag had big zipper compartments on either side to store stuff, but I didn't need to store anything in my golf bag. It was space, though. I crammed the zipper compartments full of discs. They were zipped up and out of view and at some point forgot all about them. When I finally replaced that bag a decade later and cleaned it out I found these unthrown backup Aviars, Rocs and Cyclones I had just shoved in there that I forgot I even owned.

Do you need the control drivers slot? Can you just power down a FB or Valk?
That's the rub, isn't it? Sometimes I click with the JLS/EXP and the drivers are along for the ride. Recently I've just been throwing Valk/Firebird and the fairways are along for the ride.

The unLace is around for a very specific shot and mostly is along for the ride.

I generally throw one or two of the mids and the rest are along for the ride.

The Zephyr is just for show to make people wonder; I don't think I've thrown it at all in the last two years.

The Condor again is for a very specific shot and mostly is along for the ride, although my buddies enjoy that shot enough the they have named the Condor "Bertha" and yell "HERE COMES BIG BERTHA!" when they see me about to uncork the thumb roller.

The Signal I throw on days when I can't throw anything else. Some days the arm is just dead and nothing works. If anything else is working, I'm not throwing it.

The last round I played I threw the Omega AP, the Z Sol, the Champ Roc, the DX Valk and the DX Firebird. I putted with the DX Aviar. Everything else stayed in the bag the entire round. That's fairly typical, although the actual discs that get thrown will change. Playing 18 and only having five or six discs actually leave my bag is pretty common.

tl;dr: I could get by with a lot fewer discs. I just don't want to.

I killed Working Stiff and moved in with his wife. :|

never-trust-a-5b1fa6.jpg

That's the rub, isn't it? Sometimes I click with the JLS/EXP and the drivers are along for the ride. Recently I've just been throwing Valk/Firebird and the fairways are along for the ride.

tl;dr: I could get by with a lot fewer discs. I just don't want to.

That's fair...I threw a Dx Valk in the bag recently and love it.