• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working Stiff's Bag

Holiday road trip bag; we were short on space and I didn't want to take anything I'd be mad if I lost so I have:

Distance Driver
(1) DX Valkyrie 168g
Overstable Driver
(1) DX Firebird 166g
Midrange
(1) DX Roc 180g
Putter
(1) Classic Aviar 172g

I threw this morning with no noticeable negative effect on my game. :\

If I had a brain in my head I'd start carrying these four all the time and just fill the rest of the cart with beer. :|

Ahhh the classics

Yes I usually play better when I carry fewer discs. The more I throw a particular disc, the better I can control its flight.

No Comet... :thmbdown:
All my X Comets have the old X stamp so I don't want to lose one on the road with no chance of getting it back. All my Z/Big Z/ESP Comets cost too much for my cheap ass to be losing on the road with no chance of getting it back. I've got a lot of DX Rocs. :|

All my X Comets have the old X stamp so I don't want to lose one on the road with no chance of getting it back. All my Z/Big Z/ESP Comets cost too much for my cheap ass to be losing on the road with no chance of getting it back. I've got a lot of DX Rocs. :|

giphy.gif

#3 Roc > Comet

Just sayin'
It's a #4 Roc. I don't want to lose a #3 Roc on the road with no chance of getting it back. :|

*lost a lovely beat Firebird on the road on a temp course in a place it will never be found this summer*

*is paranoid*

So the stripped-down bag has been in use for a few weeks now.

Distance Driver
(1) DX Valkyrie 168g
(1) Pro Valkyrie 175g
Overstable Driver
(1) DX Firebird 166g
(1) DX Firebird 175g
Midrange
(1) DX #2 Roc 180g
(1) DX #4 Roc 180g
Putter
(1) Classic Aviar 172g

Two things I could stand to add are a really fast, flippy driver for tailwind drives and a stable driver between the Rocs and Valks. I could easily slide Eagles in there as a control driver. I'm not so sure about the fast driver. Maybe a Pro Tern?

It's funny...I've been playing with something similar for the last week or so...

G* Valkyrie
Dx Roc (#2.5)
Dx Aviar

My question is...would a fast understable driver really give you enough added distance over the Valk to warrant carrying it? Same question regarding the Eagles. I find the Valk pretty versatile when powering down/up.

So the stripped-down bag has been in use for a few weeks now.

Distance Driver
(1) DX Valkyrie 168g
(1) Pro Valkyrie 175g
Overstable Driver
(1) DX Firebird 166g
(1) DX Firebird 175g
Midrange
(1) DX #2 Roc 180g
(1) DX #4 Roc 180g
Putter
(1) Classic Aviar 172g

Two things I could stand to add are a really fast, flippy driver for tailwind drives and a stable driver between the Rocs and Valks. I could easily slide Eagles in there as a control driver. I'm not so sure about the fast driver. Maybe a Pro Tern?

How about a beatup dx teebird, or is that not fast enough for ya?

How about a beatup dx teebird, or is that not fast enough for ya?
I have tried and failed for years to find a use for a TeeBird. For some reason they are short with a dumpy fade for me, which it totally something I'm doing because I've seen people tear up with a TeeBird. I've just written them off at this point.

The "dirty little secret" is that while the unLace is the longest disc I've been throwing recently, it's squirrelly and gets me in a lot of trouble. Without considering speed, flight numbers or anything like that, the most consistently long disc I personally have that I can actually control is that weirdo flippy 175g Pro Valk. I got it in a used bin at Aces and Chains years ago for $4; it had obviously been living underwater before I bought it. It's noticeably longer than any other Valk I have, but there is still enough LSS in it that it still comes back a little. I've had longer throws with faster discs, but they are more trouble than they are worth most of the time. So I don't really need a faster disc.

I don't really need a disc between a Roc and a Valk, either. It would just be nice every once in a while to have something to throw on a low line shorter than the Firebird. Nice, but not necessary. I could probably just stick with the four molds.

Well I only read the first and last four pages.. I see the Signal is out. I never got a Teebird I could get into, other than my brothers beautifully beat, tie dye, dark green, red and brown.. Flew great but you couldn't find it til you stepped on it.

Obviously I have a gyro prejudice. The light eclipse SE Crave's I have are a nice middle of the road control driver. Less stability than many of its brothers in different plastic but still stable ish. It's been my Teebird replacement lately. Crave/Relay for me. I let Wolfie throw it and he's a Volt/wrath guy and he got as good a distance as his Volt and a straighter flight. My neutron Crave is a little stable and my proton is a pig..

Flippy distance.. I can't remember if it was ponder or aphilso1 that got me into the Plasma Wave but that's been a huge disc for me, from max distance to controlled turns. Totally different from a neutron Wave, I often bag both. It kicked the Vanish to the curb because it's more predictable.

Hmmm after reading everything, haha, I have a similar bag thread. Good to track stuff, hard to make changes.

Where's the Comet and Cyclones?

I stand by the eclipse Crave, the plasma Wave 155 may not be in your flippy realm might be a straighter driver for you. Especially if you have nose up issues. Injuries suck.

Where's the Comet and Cyclones?
The idea to slim the bag down was just to have a smaller footprint for the bag when I traveled, and the discs I chose were cheap and easy to replace. I've got OOP ESP Cyclone and MJ Comets in the bag that are neither cheap nor easy to replace, so they did not go in the bag. I accidentally had fun with just the four DX discs so that's where I'm at right now.

My actual full-sized bag with the full onslaught of discs is still sitting out there with OOP ESP Cyclone and MJ Comets ready to throw. The Zuca had a flat I have to fix, so it's empty right now. Eventually throwing four molds will stop being fun and back to the big bag we go!

The case against minimalism: I lost all my Valks. :| All my DX and Pro ones, I still have Champ and Star Valks around. I've lost more discs this month than the entire decade leading up to it. Twice in the last three weeks I lost two Valks on one hole. It's astounding how many Valks I've lost. When you have basically one driver, you have to throw it no matter the situation.

The case against minimalism: I lost all my Valks. :| All my DX and Pro ones, I still have Champ and Star Valks around. I've lost more discs this month than the entire decade leading up to it. Twice in the last three weeks I lost two Valks on one hole. It's astounding how many Valks I've lost. When you have basically one driver, you have to throw it no matter the situation.

I know the deal, I skip from Valkyrie to Destroyer being that not a really good speed 12 version of the Valkyrie exists. I mean a Whaoo is close but it is high dome even if the Whaoo comes in the Stiff R-Pro. The Archon is speed 11 so I am not sure about getting when a Valkyrie is almost a speed 10 but I might get Archon to have a longer Valkyrie.