• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you attempt a 300' drive over water?

Would you throw over water if the nearest land was 300' away?

• Yes

Votes: 155 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • Only in tournament play

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters
I voted yes, but would ask to 'borrow' a disc first

I voted yes, but wouldn't have done so 6 months ago. I pretty consistently over 300' now with my normal drivers and my water driver... everyone's favorite floater... The Dragon.

My regular driver is a 150g Valkyrie on non-windy days and the Dragon flies just about the same for me on the open practice field, so unless there was a headwind or some other factor, I'd be willing to wait by the pond until my Dragon floated back to me. ;)

Nope, too early in my game right now. In fact, I just threw over water for the first time the other day. Granted they were short throws, but I threw overthrew really far... just in case.

There is a hole near me that's about 400' that plays right. where there is a 50' river bordered on both sides with mature trees to hit 200' down the fairway. I don't think I've ever tried to throw it. It's a tough hole that's all luck after the first 100'. I'd say no even though I can through 325'. I know my nerves would get to me right about the time I took my steps.

You bet I would!! Then I would unleash my Big Daddy Roller. It's the "walk on water" Strategy.

...I just did. Hole 18 at Winter Park in Kewaunee, WI is a 305 ft. drive over a pond. Parked the basket. Yay.

Wow gutsy shot there Ben, I threw way left and parked my upshot for a 3 . . . I didn't have the guts to go across the pond at that angle.

Well if the lake is not to deep, I'd risk the shot. Can always wade out and get it then.
Otherwise this boy drops into a lake faster then a Roc, or should I spell it rock.

I did it... with my Dragon!

Here's the scene: Par 4 Hole #18 at The Whippin' Post in Paw Paw, WV. It's 402', about 15-20' down hill. It's 385' to clear the pond. The pin is 17' past the water. I've layed up on this hole every time I ever played it (Weenie Arm Syndrome).

whip 18.jpg

The conditions were jut right to go for it today: a very slight breeze coming from behind my left side. I was totally warmed up. And I had my Dragon in hand.

I absolutely ripped a hyzer flip. It was a thing of beauty. It curled a bit right of the flag and went sailing out over the pond. As it started fading back to the left I wasn't sure if it was going to clear the drink or not. And then, Bonk! Not Splash! My arms went up as if I'd scored the Super Bowl winning touchdown. The shot landed just 6-7' over the water and about 25' right of the pin.

After an incredibly average... no, crappy couple of rounds, I finally had something to cheer about. And my putt for eagle... well let's just say I made birdie. :rolleyes:

Here's the scene: Par 4 Hole #18 at The Whippin' Post in Paw Paw, WV. It's 402', about 15-20' down hill. It's 385' to clear the pond. The pin is 17' past the water. I've layed up on this hole every time I ever played it (Weenie Arm Syndrome).

View attachment 2016

The conditions were jut right to go for it today: a very slight breeze coming from behind my left side. I was totally warmed up. And I had my Dragon in hand.

I absolutely ripped a hyzer flip. It was a thing of beauty. It curled a bit right of the flag and went sailing out over the pond. As it started fading back to the left I wasn't sure if it was going to clear the drink or not. And then, Bonk! Not Splash! My arms went up as if I'd scored the Super Bowl winning touchdown. The shot landed just 6-7' over the water and about 25' right of the pin.

After an incredibly average... no, crappy couple of rounds, I finally had something to cheer about. And my putt for eagle... well let's just say I made birdie. :rolleyes:

good job jimb! i have given up going for it in tournaments- i'm 60% to get over and wind up hurting myself more often than helping. no credit for missing the putt though. ;)

the skip off the dock is the play for us short-arms.:D

good job jimb! i have given up going for it in tournaments- i'm 60% to get over and wind up hurting myself more often than helping. no credit for missing the putt though. ;)

the skip off the dock is the play for us short-arms.:D

Thanks man. I saw the dock skippers on the '07 WV Open Video... actually, two of the final group. That was amazing. And then I couldn't believe that Tony Ellis went in the water. He must have really made a bad throw because he's got a whole lot more distance than I do.

And I was just playing alone so there was no pressure at all. And as bad a day I had already had in general, putting one in the drink wouldn't really have mattered. An Eagle would have been nice, but I'll settle for the birdie... I have no choice!

numi9.jpg

the hole is about 278. So not quite 300. I throw forehand for distance and I threw backhand here, this shot landed under the basket.

Nice picture!

thanks. We were taking pictures of the course to update the site. I had no clue he was taking a picture of me throwing, he got a couple shots during windup and throw though that made me look at my form for next time I go out.