• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Writing on putter

I have to on the Jawbraker Magnet put the ring/circle part of the Pro D stamp on in Sharpie, I am so used to having the mark for my thumb placement on a Magnet that I needed it to help me. As well as wrote approach putter on the putter that is more beat in to be my long putter and putter on the one that is my closer putter that is not as beat in.

My Proline Titanic have the ring/circle for a Titanic stamp and being taller version of the Magent, the placement of the ring/circle on the Titanic seems to be at the right spot for me. I use the Titanic for hot days over 93 F as the Jawbreaker gets to much grip then gets sticky over 100 F as well as for semi-obstructed putts where Jawbreaker plastic would take some damage. However as far as marking on the Titanic, I did cross out the approach part of the stamp on the closer putter that I did not attempt to beat in and on the one I tried to break in I crossed out the putter part on the disc stamp to be my longer putter. I did do some sort of Sharpie dye/coloring on one of the Titanic discs simply due to the current set both came in as white. My later back up set came in different colors but I did not know if I would get different colors of if all the sellers had for some of the last of the Proline Titanic discs were white.

Last edited:
I just pick random posts from Casey1988 and write them on my putters. The looks on other players faces when they retrieve my putter from the basket and start to read random stories with minimal punctuation really works them. That look of WTF did I just try to read as they hand it back to me really brings a smile to my face. I know they are doomed stepping to the next tee with their brain still reeling from this crazy world they briefly entered and are not sure how to escape.

I just pick random posts from Casey1988 and write them on my putters. The looks on other players faces when they retrieve my putter from the basket and start to read random stories with minimal punctuation really works them. That look of WTF did I just try to read as they hand it back to me really brings a smile to my face. I know they are doomed stepping to the next tee with their brain still reeling from this crazy world they briefly entered and are not sure how to escape.

Most of my discs on top have my Email address on them and that is all on top. The exceptions are of a disc yet to end up in my bag a almost G-Star Shark that is messed up like a factory second Star Shark but production run, but the Jawbreaker Magnet's will be the main common exceptions see my older post. :D

Last edited:

I have not genuinely laughed in a while - thank you.

Casey is the Lloyd Weema of DGCR and I am a fan of both. Like Weema starting a round, you watch that first hole hoping for success, then well... Same with Casey, I start to read his posts with high hopes, get half way through the first sentence, then well...

IMO, Casey's heart is in the right place and I appreciate that, but the rest is purely entertaining in a train wreck kind of fashion.

To add to the actual discussion - a long time friend of mine, known lovingly as Zilla', used to write positive reminders or functional tips on the bottom of his putter like "Stay Calm" - "Follow through" etc...in a clock face fashion (Think of the looking at the numbers on a clock and substitute a tip for each). Then he would spin his putter while setting up for the shot, where it stops he would flip it and try to at least follow that one reminder/tip.

Sports would be so much easier if, at will, we could switch off our conscious forebrain. Or if not switch it off, just remove it's power to interfere.

Our subconscious knows how to throw a disc or kick a ball - that's what training does, it's gets the stuff in deep so it becomes instinct. Then we just need to get our busy, chatty conscious mind to shut the *#*# up, and not get involved.

I'm not a fan of the purely subconscious routine.

When I miss a putt while concentrating, I can analyze what went wrong and work to do better in the future.

But, if I miss while hoping my instincts make the putt for me, I'm at loss. There's nothing I can work on to fix whatever went wrong. I can only hope next time goes better.

Is this a problem?

Player is inside the circle putting. He begins his routine with two putters like many players. 10 seconds in, he steps off his lie and places putter #2 upside down on the ground in front of him, then resumes his routine. As he is readying to putt, you notice he has notes written on the underside of putter #2, which he is clearly reading during the putting routine. He completes the routine and putts within the allotted 30 seconds.

Thoughts?

seeing as how this is the rules forum.... what rule, or hypothetical rule change, are we discussing?

MY question was about how it relates to 813.02.
Words on a disc are providing information. 'Device' to my mind means something that works physically.

A player could have have a motivational lecture playing through ear buds. They could have a flash card with the words 'you are a tiger' printed on it, that they pull out of their top pocket every throw. They could employ a coach to whisper in their ear as they play.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

as in, you are asking if writing notes on a disc constitutes a "device that directly assists in making a throw"?

Words on a disc are providing information. 'Device' to my mind means something that works physically.

A player could have have a motivational lecture playing through ear buds. They could have a flash card with the words 'you are a tiger' printed on it, that they pull out of their top pocket every throw. They could employ a coach to whisper in their ear as they play.

That's definitely what I think. But I did have one guy say something like, "you're using that disc to line up the throw/putt and that can be called a violation."

That's definitely what I think. But I did have one guy say something like, "you're using that disc to line up the throw/putt and that can be called a violation."

in your mind, is a caddie also potentially an illegal device?
does that one guy think that a marker disc is also a directional aid?

I love playing by the rules but I hate when people twist the fudge out of them :wall:

Dear 'one guy', when I need to line up a putt, I use.........[leans in and uses conspiratorial tone] the basket!

I know, my technical insight is breathtaking. I am so awesome.

I'm going to get a "you are a tiger" card printed for a time when we are on a card together. That bad boy is getting played all day. :D

I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book.

I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book.
Which rule do you think is being violated?

Which rule do you think is being violated?

813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

The biggest question would be if the item is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed. So if you put a disc in between your lie and the basket, ESPECIALLY for a putt or an approach shot where you just need to hit the line early on, I'm going to ask you to remove it. I would just give a warning the first time but the 2nd time, sure I'm calling it.

813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

The biggest question would be if the item is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed. So if you put a disc in between your lie and the basket, ESPECIALLY for a putt or an approach shot where you just need to hit the line early on, I'm going to ask you to remove it. I would just give a warning the first time but the 2nd time, sure I'm calling it.

I see a lot of pros and ams place their marker down and then put the previously thrown disc just in front of it. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?