• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

-Y U no buy from Marketplace?-

I tried to turn my friend onto the MP instead of feebay and he said he didn't like that he "couldn't see pictures". Ughhhh...

I laugh at the people with trust issue that would rather use eBay. Oh the irony!

I guess I am missing the irony in it. eBay is safer, the buyer protection program has been greatly improved over 5-10 years ago. I have read more threads here about people getting shafted on the MP than I have had bad experiences on eBay.

I can get discs from Hazards Discs in 2 days from Oregon to Michigan for less than $3.00 S&H. I get the exact colors and weights I want and have not had a single issue with them.

Or I can also buy direct from Scott Papas (Hyzer Farms) and get personal notes with my items from Scott about what I bought. They also ship super quick and cheap, and I also get the weights and colors I am looking for.

Sure there are some shady people on eBay (and the MP as evidenced here), but there is also pretty easy ways to reduce your risk before ever committing to a sale. To me, eBay has been safe and reliable, no horror stories to tell in my 10 years using it. :thmbup:

^^ As a BUYER it's OK for stock discs, until you get to competing with noobs over a collector disc, where the MP definitely shines.

As a SELLER...EBAY SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Well the visibility of your ad is great, but the fees SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

MP destroys FeeBay in that regard.

eBay has buyer protection because it is necessary there

Had more deals to bad on eBay then here by far.
Horror stories here run along the lines of "omg postal service bent my package"

As for picking your exact color and weight.... You realize you can do that here right? People do describe the discs they sell.

There are better places to get plastic if you are in a hurry, but for the price it's hard to beat the MP here.

There is plenty of buyer protection here if you use paypal and don't go the gift route...

The MP as awesome but you need to learn the good sellers. I only click on certain people who I know will have the goods for a reasonable price. Any Lion MP thread is an automatic click for the legacy goodies. :thmbup:

I will say that buying is waaaaay easier than selling. Besides the pay to play thing, when you buy you get to pick whom you deal with. When you put something up for sale any number of people could come a crawlin'.

I can't think of a better way to get oop plastic than the MP. I was recently on a hunt for X-crush and X-preds. Unfortunately I was not able to find the quantity I desired from the MP so I had to go fishing. I called probably 30+ retailers looking for a stash, and I even went so far as to beg a Norwegian company to ship to me (they were pretty cool by the way). Thankfully I found a stash that will keep me good for years, but it took hours and hours of calling around. The worst part is that calling up a hole in the wall disc store usually involves talking to highly disinterested stoner who has no interest in helping you out. I would much rather spend 30 mins sifting through MP posts than hours calling stores on a wild goose hunt.

I dont disagree with you often. but I think the 5 bucks should be limited to sellers. not buyers. of any kind. posting wanted threads should be free. or, make it 5 bucks for everybody! to see reviews, or read anything on the site. the reason this wont work is because the internet and forums are great because they are free. a totally different approach would be to start taxing the rich, like our govt. once you get to the 20+ transactions you should pay an increased membership. anyone who wants to sell more than 20 times should have to buy the premium.

This has to make the most sense. those that sell more, reap more income from using it more, thus there being a reason to pay more to 'play'. I dont think this should become the standard, but what tourneyplayer said is spot on

You make a valid point. The reason the charge was added was to deter the "shady" sellers, correct? Those looking for discs don't really fit that description.

shady sellers/buyers is sadly going to be inevitable WHERE EVER things are bought and sold online. If I wanted to be sell multiple discs and rip everyone off for more than $5 it would be worth my while to spend $5 to become 'a good seller' and then just keep the discs and pocket the cash

sure morals come into play, but shady is as shady does

Last edited:
Because my local disc golf guy has everything I want or need way before any of you get it.
And I dont throw about 98.9% of Innova discs so I have no use for the marketplace anymore.
Buy local! Support your local disc golf retailer!

I have no preference between ebay and the MP for picking up good used discs. For new stuff, I still prefer a retailer, whether my local shop, or online if my local guy doesn't carry it. I haven't had any issues yet, here, ebay, or other online trading sites. Guess I've been lucky, or it's because I don't trade with feedback-less people without precautions.

HOARDERS. buying up Limited run plastic, then hocking it for 3 times the cost. thats ****ed up ****. unless its an auction. then its cool. keep the starting price reasonable. let people bid what they want.

If I'm buying from the US, I send to a parcel receiving service in WA state. It's usually $3 per parcel. That being said, MP deals (or buying one or two discs at a time online) isn't really worth it to me.

Blame Canada!

yeah marketplace is def a great place to buy used plastic.

new seems to run kinda high.

selling has been getting harder and harder.

trading ain't easy.

I have never used the market place, mainly because I am in Canada and figured that nobody would want to ship to me. I also don't have paypal and have no interest in getting an account at this point. that being said I have a pretty nice candy pro FB that I want to trade for a champ gator, and champ gators are non-existant around here for some reason. eventually I will likely end up on the marketplace trying to trade my stacks for backup throwers.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I've shipped to this place before: http://www.cbiusa.com/.

Apparently it's just a US Mailing address on the US side of the Niagra Falls that lets Canadians have a US Mailing address for a yearly fee + package fee. If there's something like that in Vancouver, WA you might want to look into it if you do a lot of buying online, etc.

I used to when it was free. Call me a biatch if you want but I won't pay to use the marketplace. For the number of hours I have spent discovering and posting new course, taking/uploading pictures, updating hole info, adding links and files, changing picture orders proper on random course, etc... I won't pay money out of my pocket on top of that. I can just trade/buy at local shops and with people on the course if I REALLY need something.

With that being said, it doesn't bother me I cant use it. Just having a website with reference as accurate as this is more than enough. This place is like a second home to me, and if it got shut down, or I got banned or something, I would LOSE MY MIND! :)

Just my 2 cent..
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I rarely sold or bought discs, mostly traded them and almost always at a loss of "value" b/c I just don't care about wear/ink/"special runs" all that much. I'm really easy to trade with but it's really rare I actually find something worth trading since the MP is pretty cluttered with buyers and sellers. I was spoiled when the MP was free and a smaller community of peeps, it was easy to swap out discs that were collecting dust with a laid back guy looking to do the same. I'm not saying the MP is worse necessarily, just that it isn't as useful to me as it used to be. The inconvenience of the fee is a small part of it but it's mostly me not desiring trying new discs since my bag is pretty much set how I like it.

That being said, I'd rather not be called a biatch b/c I've done a fair bit of volunteer work on the course site, lots of word-of-mouth advertising and have bought stickers, decals, patches and discs from the DGCR store to show some support. I also see myself as a sort of stately forum elder that pops in and helps the poor n00bs when I can since a fair bit of the forums has gotten pretty snarky with Prerubings or answering stupid questions with stupid answers.

tl;dr version: I just don't use the MP much anymore; DGCR still rocks and is best DG site evar! :D

Just curious. If I put a hypothetical disc i may have to get rid of in my sig, am I breaking the rules?

like if I had a never thrown, 9.8/10 (storage wear) no longer produced Emac colorshift blue/green/purple heavy TI wasp. would I get in trouble for putting it in my sig?

Just curious. If I put a hypothetical disc i may have to get rid of in my sig, am I breaking the rules?

like if I had a never thrown, 9.8/10 (storage wear) no longer produced Emac colorshift blue/green/purple heavy TI wasp. would I get in trouble for putting it in my sig?

I don't see why you would? (get in trouble I mean) People advertise their sale threads in their sigs on a daily basis....

Latest posts