• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Favorite Mold Went OOP. What was It and What Replaced It?

Ibex for glidy approach anhyzers.

Have not found a replacement so I changed the way I throw that shot.

I had an Ibex in my bag for that purpose as well. I replaced it with a seasoned Super Stingray which is also OOP. But I have a stack of backups and I think they are still produced for the factory store.

I am still throwing P-PDs and have a 3-4 backups. Not sure what I will replace it with... maybe a CD2.

The Discraft Hornet was taken OOP, but I stocked up so I'm still using them. If I had to replace it, I'd probably use the Rat or I'd put the Zone and the Banshee back in the bag to bracket that range.

The Star SL being taken OOP was bad for me, but I'll forever be grateful to Valarie Jenkins Doss for her fourth World title and Innova subsequently coming out with Val SLs and factory second Star SLs coming out. Yes, I can use the pro SLs, but I really like the SLs in Star plastic.

And Echostar plastic in many different discs being taken OOP was disappointing to me. I again can (and do) substitute with Pro, but it's really not the same thing.

And Echostar plastic in many different discs being taken OOP was disappointing to me. I again can (and do) substitute with Pro, but it's really not the same thing.
I'm guessing that if one were to be presented with a stack of 100 Pro Terns, one could possibly find one that would fly like an Echo Star. So far, I have not seen one. I will not throw my two Echos anywhere near water. I guess I should just go ahead and buy all of the ones on eBay.

I'm guessing that if one were to be presented with a stack of 100 Pro Terns, one could possibly find one that would fly like an Echo Star. So far, I have not seen one. I will not throw my two Echos anywhere near water. I guess I should just go ahead and buy all of the ones on eBay.

Don't blame you a bit for keeping yours away from water, where the disc golf gods often demand sacrifice (I lost a Mystere in the lake yesterday :mad: ).

And I wouldn't blame you for buying up as many EchoStar Terns that you can find. I collected a mini-stash of them, lost one to the lake, someone found it and gave it back to me (!), and now I keep them away from water.

Don't blame you a bit for keeping yours away from water, where the disc golf gods often demand sacrifice (I lost a Mystere in the lake yesterday :mad: ).

And I wouldn't blame you for buying up as many EchoStar Terns that you can find. I collected a mini-stash of them, lost one to the lake, someone found it and gave it back to me (!), and now I keep them away from water.

One course I play weekly has three over water shots. I carry two base plastic molds for those. Ever since I've done that, I play those holes much better. I am convinced it's because I throw knowing I really don't care if I lose the disc or not. The most surprising part of that is, no one else has copied me, and I see the pain on their faces when that favorite teebird goes sploosh.

Disc Golf Values looked like they had some E* Terns in stock along with the E* Destroyers. Sadly, no Wraiths.

Flash is really the only one I threw for years that is now OOP. I'm throwing a PD, a CD2 and a Nemesis where I used to carry 3 Flashes. That tells you a lot about how much variation the Flash used to have.

im not sure i miss any disc that is oop tbh hornet might be the closest but i havent thrown one in 5 years the only reason i remembered it was because a previous comment mentioned it

The old mold (x mold) Beasts. They went oop for 10 years and then came back, but they're not what they used to be. Fortunately I have an abundance of backups, we'll see how long that pearly plastic really lasts!!

The old mold (x mold) Beasts. They went oop for 10 years and then came back, but they're not what they used to be. Fortunately I have an abundance of backups, we'll see how long that pearly plastic really lasts!!

I think Innova was dumb to ever alter the Beast mold in the 1st place. I loved the BeastX. People claimed it was too similar to the Orc, but I disagree. The Beast had a mellower, glidier flight with less low speed fade. I never clicked with the Beast L and I'm glad Innova finally rectified that problem.

I haven't thrown or bagged a beast in a long time, but if I decide to again I have a lot of backups from the old days. Champion Beast Xs were once super common.

Beast X: 10, 5, -2, 2.
Orc: 10, 4, -1, 3.

I never had the chance to toss original Beast-X discs, but I really enjoy the new one. It's my long distance turnover bomber and my furthest flying disc because of that. To this date it's the only disc I've hit 500' (524' +/- 16' according to UDisc).

I bag Pro Beast-Ls for rollers or a beat champ. Meanwhile, I keep my champ Beast-L that's fairly new for shots that I need to drift right. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get that disc past 400'. It has near nonexistent glide.

Honestly, I miss the Beast-L because of their ability to walk right, slowly and how awesome of rollers they turn into.

I was throwing Pro Firebirds (FL's) but when I couldn't find them anymore I just started throwing DX Firebirds and they actually fly better for me than the FL did.

Thought it would be cool to have a thread for people to reminisce about their favorite molds they had to give up for whatever reason (cost, availability, etc). Did you ever find a suitable replacement and so forth?

I love the Discraft 2008 Ace Race disc, the Nebula. Discraft never ran it into production except for some Limited Edition runs in Z. Fortunately, I had the foresight to stockpile these and should be good for awhile but 2008 is nearly 11 years ago and nothing lasts forever. I think the best replacement I've tried is the Verdict, b/c they start out decently beefy and still fly fairly straight after beatings. No bead and a little faster feeling too, which I like about the Nebula.

What OOP molds are y'all yearning for?

Lol.....love my Nebula. Fortunately, I also had the foresight to stockpile. :thmbup: :hfive:

XL going OOP kind of breaks my nostalgic heart, but I started bagging a River, which seems to have more glide than the XL. Same with the XS, but I now throw a Saint in its stead.

I miss my Champ Aero. Still looking for a suitable replacement
I wish I had kept mine, they were great.
I had an Ibex in my bag for that purpose as well. I replaced it with a seasoned Super Stingray which is also OOP. But I have a stack of backups and I think they are still produced for the factory store.

I am still throwing P-PDs and have a 3-4 backups. Not sure what I will replace it with... maybe a CD2.
I forgot about P-PDs. I'm floating between a Z Heat and a VIP Stag but I miss the grip of pro plastic.

I can already tell we could make killer bags with just oop discs.

Although not for sure OOP, I am scared Legacy will never run discs in the pearly, slightly gummy Pinnacle plastic again. I have a good stock of Rivals in case this happens, but still makes me nervous that I will not be able to get more if I wanted.

Latest posts