• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your LEAST favorite "new to you" disc you tried in the last 6 months

I use a Teebird as a fairway and Wraith with for driver so a Thunderbird would seem to be nice. Nope, hated it. Try and try but it gives me nothing good. Into the bin it goes.

What? Did you try it in Star? The Star Thunderbird is an overstable piece of crap. The Champion Thunderbird is my go to controlled hyzer shot disc, I love that thing.

Mine are:

DD Convict: the thing is overstable until a butterfly flaps it's wings within 50 yards. Then it turns into a flippy unpredictable mess.

R-Pro Pig: R Pro is crap, and this disc wasn't even really OS. The grip sucks too.

Sidewinder: Most inconsistent mold I've seen. Flies like the convict but worse.

I guess I'd have to say the Rat. Not really what was advertised. Not a bad disc really but not what I was looking for.
WAaay longer and not as OS as expected. Closer to a mid for me than an OS putter.

I tried a Flick. Did not like it at all, way too overstable for my arm. Can't even forehand it. I wanted to like it but it's just not happening.

I guess I'd have to say the Rat. Not really what was advertised. Not a bad disc really but not what I was looking for.
WAaay longer and not as OS as expected. Closer to a mid for me than an OS putter.

There are no speed 3 putters. They are just slow mids.

This talk of the Convict reminded me of the Sorcerer I tried out. Randomly flippy with underwhelming glide.

Haven't tried too many new discs recently. I didn't really click with the Kastaplast Grym. I love Kastaplast and currently bag the Stal and Reko (and occasionally the Kask) . The Grym feels nice, flies a solid line, but just gets no distance for me. It was consistently landing 30-40ft behind by Destroyers and Wraiths.

I tried a Flick. Did not like it at all, way too overstable for my arm. Can't even forehand it. I wanted to like it but it's just not happening.

The Flick is definitely an acquired taste. I love mine. You have to know what you're getting into there. No glide and very overstable. It isn't a distance disc. I use my flick for short, accurate drives through wind and sidearm hook shots. I probably pull it out twice a round. The Flick never disappoints.

Anyone new to DC or those who don't throw far won't get anything out of the Flick.

This talk of the Convict reminded me of the Sorcerer I tried out. Randomly flippy with underwhelming glide.

Agree. I've thrown a couple Sorcerers. Its an OK driver, but its too flat to really glide that well. I wasn't that impressed either.

I think the Sorcerer was one of Westside's early molds that they hadn't quite perfected yet.

Definitely the Rat. A disc touted to be an OS mid/putter, I have to say it is far from it. Thrown flat, the Rat will flip and struggle to come back to straight. For a disc that feels so good in the hand, it's a shame it does not perform as advertised.

Hipster Teebird? Na. I tried like 6 different ones and couldn't tell where any of them were going to land. OrionLF is the one true "control driver" (hate that term).

hipster tb homie wtf when those things came out it was like jesus risen around these parts just about everyone on dgcr was throwing the pd and no one in real life (that wasnt also on dgcr) hahahaha

i have a zippertop red olf somewhere those discs ruled too except finding different runs didnt rule so i stopped throwing innova/discmania/mill altogether

So skip on the PD? If you read through PD thread or any of the favorite disc from each manufacturer threads, it did seem like JC Risen type praise ... maybe people just say PD because that's what they know of Discmania…. Almost picked one up a couple weeks ago because of all the DGCR comments.

There are no speed 3 putters. They are just slow mids.

I knew it was a fast "putter"-ish but its described as being like a Harp or Zone. Two discs that get the same thought they are not really putters or too long to be a putter.

The Rat is like a seasoned Envy. Which should be a great disc, but I can't find a place for it, and that it is so far away from what is advertised.

So skip on the PD? If you read through PD thread or any of the favorite disc from each manufacturer threads, it did seem like JC Risen type praise ... maybe people just say PD because that's what they know of Discmania…. Almost picked one up a couple weeks ago because of all the DGCR comments.

i liked the pd i just like the volt moar

like all great things with innova/dm it varies on the run

pd is great so is the fd

i havent thrown pd since the "freak" stamp so i have no clue how the current ones mold up or any of the new runs variance in stability

I'm mostly just teasing. Countless players swear by them. Get off my lawn:D

Probably gonna get ripped for this but the DD Getaway and I did not get along. I had a Biofuzion and a Fuzion that were meathooks! I don't consider myself a weak arm by no means, but the 2 I had wanted to find the ground fast! For now I'll stick to my Saint Pro.

Probably gonna get ripped for this but the DD Getaway and I did not get along. I had a Biofuzion and a Fuzion that were meathooks! I don't consider myself a weak arm by no means, but the 2 I had wanted to find the ground fast! For now I'll stick to my Saint Pro.

so even the bio was a meathook, huh? I was thinking of checking these out to replace the culverin as a more-stable escape. It seemed that even with my weak arm, Culverins could get away from me with any wind around. Probably a true slightly more stable escape, glide and all, but I might rather go a click higher.

Bio Getaway 170s
Moonshine Escape 170s
Fuz Escape 170s
Opto Hatchet 168ish

That could be a thing during the cold season, or beginning of next season, to get my feet back under me before the distance drivers come out.

so even the bio was a meathook, huh? I was thinking of checking these out to replace the culverin as a more-stable escape. It seemed that even with my weak arm, Culverins could get away from me with any wind around. Probably a true slightly more stable escape, glide and all, but I might rather go a click higher.

Bio Getaway 170s
Moonshine Escape 170s
Fuz Escape 170s
Opto Hatchet 168ish

That could be a thing during the cold season, or beginning of next season, to get my feet back under me before the distance drivers come out.

I gave the disc a fair chance, it was in my bag for most of the season. Even after some ware the Getaway was just not for me. We got along good on a FH basis, but my Wraiths and Firebirds had those shots covered.

I'm playing tomorrow, and I'll be throwing a Getaway (fuzion) for the first time. I'll post a synopsis of the disc afterward. Just looking at the thing it seems Thunderbird-ish.

I'm playing tomorrow, and I'll be throwing a Getaway (fuzion) for the first time. I'll post a synopsis of the disc afterward. Just looking at the thing it seems Thunderbird-ish.

I would definitely say Thunderbird-ish. Hopefully your experience is better than mine.

Magnet, felt great in my hand. I hate that putter. I wasted two rounds trying to make it work for me, nope.

Me 2. I wanted a Discraft equivalent to my Wizard. It was a dumb idea. There is no equivalent to a Wizards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts