• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your longest shot that went in the basket

I've put my star Shark in from 100+ feet on three occasions. No aces yet, although there have been a few drop-in deuces.... one of them coming from the blue tee with a large audience of drunken kickball players :)

Dunno exact measurement but I hit around a 240' skip shot birdie with a Champion Shark.

My longest birdie was at a University course. It was about 100 feet. I threw a DX Stingray anhyzer around the clock and the tree.

My one and only ace was from about 280' (no signs for distance on the course). There was a low-hanging tree in front and to the right of the basket that my Boss just barely dipped under and skipped in.

Well, that assumes a perfectly flat shot heading straight from you to the basket. What about a hyzer flip or s-curve shot that low speed fades downward into the basket from above and to the side. My one ace, and the other times I've come close, thats how its been for me, and the ones that missed usually fade a little too soon or late. They tend to land pretty close to the basket and stay, due to the downward angle.

That's a very good point. My next ace will most likely come on the first hole at Memorial Park in Paris, TN. Like you I throw to the right of the basket and play for a left fade at the end.

I hit a 139ft shot from the short tees at Elon Park in Charlotte (hole #11) on Sunday. My first ace!

If you've got a nice big open hole that's not too far... that's an option.

But a spike hyzer would also seem to decrease the relevant opening size of the basket because of the angle of approach.

ERic
Nevermind, I guess my point was lost.

I hit a 246 foot ace at Highland Park in MN number 2. It was pretty sweet cause the parks employees were cutting grass and stuff and I had to throw it kind of around a truck type thing.

I've hit metal on a tee off but no ace yet.

I hit a 150'er one day with a nice float on my magnet. I was pleased:)

the point we are trying to make Eric is that there is enough evidence that an ace is not always a bad shot gone good - a bit lucky? yes, but not a bad shot

so blindly assuming that steady ed quote is always true is rather dumb imo

i kinda disagree with "ace is a bad shot, gone good.." it's a good shot gotten lucky if anything...the way i see it, you have to be high enough to get in(therefore going past if you miss). imo, alot of "newbies" tend to throw low/short on all shots, including putts. maybe its a confidence thing?

Well those noobs are doing the right thing. Much safer to play short and let it slide up to the basket. The point being made that if you come humming by the basket chain level and miss your ace congrats on your par. However, if you would have played shorter then you could have recorded your bird rather then losing a stroke going for an ace you probably werent going to get anyway.

Thats not always the case, as some others mentioned sometimes there is a backdrop to protect you, sometimes a knife hyzer or nice floating anny can be used to decrease blow by.

the point we are trying to make Eric is that there is enough evidence that an ace is not always a bad shot gone good - a bit lucky? yes, but not a bad shot

so blindly assuming that steady ed quote is always true is rather dumb imo

I never said it was always a bad shot. Let me reiterate my original statement:

If you're playing a 300' hole and throwing hard/high enough off the tee to hit chains and you miss... you're going to blow past by usually at least 30'. For most people that's a 2-putt.

If you throw a tee shot to park it inside the 30' circle you will often take a 2 on the hole.

Given the statistically infrequency of aces the second scenario is a better tee shot in terms of overall score.

forgive me if that was not your intention, but by quoting the guy's post who gave the steady ed quote when you posted your original statement, it sounded like you were implying that you agreed with it by posting 'stats' that supported the quote

my only intention was to argue that the quote is not always true, for the sake of argument haha

I have to agree with Eric. For me, Id rather put it within 15ft to try and make 2 than watch it skip 30ft past the hole only to make a 3.

Vegas cha-CHING!

Longest Putt I ever made was at Sunset Park in Vegas about 3 years ago. This was before I had started getting serious about disc golf. Even though the course is wide open, no obstacles, this was still one of the shots that hooked me.
It was my BACHELOR PARTY! We had been up drinking and carousing all night. Just after we tromped through the fountain at Caesars Palace we went and woke up all of the sleepers in our group and headed out to the course. We brought a huge cooler, which was necessary in the July heat. Sprinklers were on to cool us down and we still saw dead squirrels and birds on the course. Any way I was on hole 4 and my drive went out about 200-220. Shirt and shoes off, inebriated I threw my second shot up, just hoping to get close and of course ching! What a feeling! Didn't feel so good when the booze wore off.

My longest ace was about 220... It started out as a horrible shot, but then the wind slammed it into the basket.

Best ace I hit was 150 foot ace with my putter - held a straight line from the teepad, right into the basket. It was also my first shot on hole #1.

If you've got a nice big open hole that's not too far... that's an option.

But a spike hyzer would also seem to decrease the relevant opening size of the basket because of the angle of approach.

ERic

My longest shot was a spike hyzer deuce, about 70 feet. I was just trying to get it near the basket because I didn't have any other good options I pitched it up and it went it. I was flabbergasted, I looked around, no one else in sight to see it :S

Oh and I agree with Eric, spike hyzer isn't great for making it from a distance.

75' to 80' LUCKY shot all the way. I was tring to get it close to the basket and it when in.