• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your MAX DISTANCE disc(s) choice in an OPEN FIELD – UPDATED JULY 2013

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
Ok, I know this thread has been done before, I don't care I'm bored. With all these new discs out now, I want an updated version.

Rules:

1. You must mention where you did your testing (football field, on a course, etc.), and the wind conditions that day.
2. You must mention which disc manufacturer you own/have thrown the most, and mention which manufacturers you've tried/not tried.
3. To get an idea how you throw, you must mention your MAX distance in feet for an Understable disc, Stable disc, and/or an Overstable disc. Remember, these definitions of Under or Overstable can vary from person to person, just mention which disc is under or overstable TO YOU.
4. Remember, this is in an open field. You must state the disc(s) that get you the most distance, the distance number in feet, and how you achieve this (hyzer flip, sky anhyzer giant S curve, etc.)
5. In all examples, mention your Disc's name, weight, condition, and plastic.

I'll go first. Testing was done on a baseball field at 8AM, exact distances cannot be determined. I threw all of my Max Distance discs on the same day, same area. Wind was about 2-3 mph headwind, barely anything but noticeably there, on and off. I'm doing all RHBH. I am by no means a strong thrower and do not have my technique perfected.

According to Wikipedia, the distance from home plate to fence can vary, but MLB parks range from 390 – 435 feet at center field. My farthest throw was probably at least 100ft away from the back fence. All of my throws start behind home plate. Run-up was not great due to the hilly sand "teepad".

I own/have thrown mostly Innova. I have also thrown some Discraft, DGA, Millenium, Latitude 64 (in order of most to least). I have not thrown any of the rest.

Results:

Results were taken from my second round of tosses, and only the good throws were considered worthy to be counted. My screw up's were left out. 16 discs were brought to the field.

1st place = VERY BEAT UP 169g star destroyer on a relatively flat throw high into the air. Estimated distance = 285 ft (114 regular footsteps from home plate to my disc, and each of my footsteps is about 2.5 ft from my estimation, I'm 5'8" 130lbs).

2nd place = fairly beat 175g 11x champ teebird on a flat throw medium height. About 8 ft behind.

3rd place = fairly beat 172g champ dominator on a flat throw medium height. About 1 ft behind.

4th = fairly beat 175g champ Beast L mold on a flat throw low/medium height. About 1 ft behind.

5th = fairly beat 172g echo star destroyer on a slight anhyzer angle throw medium height. About 2 ft behind.

6th = 176g? fairly beat champ 1x Beast old mold on a flat throw medium height. About 1 ft behind.

The rest were various other star destroyers, Z nuke, star/echo star leopards, star TL, and star/champ sidewinders.

BUT, on my first round, my dominator was 1st and my 174g champ sidewinder was 2nd. Also I messed up on my TL and sidewinder throws but I know they can go farther.

Not my best day today, but I got some more info on my technique and discs. I was surprised I could throw my 11x teebird this far. I should have brought out my champ Eagle L.

So I guess my MAX UNDERSTABLE DISC would be my VERY BEAT 157g star Leopard, about 25 ft behind 1st place.

My MAX OVERSTABLE DISC would be my fairly beat 11x champ teebird or fairly beat champ dominator (both overstable to me).

My MAX STABLE DISC would be either the very beat up 169g star destroyer or my fairly beat 175g champ Beast L mold.

I'm not sure how to classify the first place star destroyer, because it is VERY beat up and flippy, but still an overstable disc by definition with good fade at the end. So I group it in the STABLE category.

I'll probably do this again in the future to see if I've improved.
Hopefully others can contribute their results too! Thanks.

Download UDisc+
Its a great app, and it also has a nice feature that enables you to measure shot distance via gps.

You should really disc down to only throwing putters, mid-ranges, and fairways if you're maxing at 285. If youre hitting close to 400 or so with fairways, then id say its time to start trying out the distance drivers. I can easily toss my putters 285, so id recommend you get some footage of yourself throwing and post it in the Form Analysis & Critique Section. It really helped me improve after posting up some videos and getting feedback on what i could do to get better.

Last edited:
You should really disc down to only throwing putters, mid-ranges, and fairways if you're maxing at 285. I can easily toss my putters 285, so id recommend you get some footage of yourself throwing and post it in the Form Analysis & Critique Section. It really helped me improve after posting up some videos and getting feedback on what i could do to get better.

:thmbup: This

distance app

Download UDisc+
Its a great app, and it also has a nice feature that enables you to measure shot distance via gps.

You should really disc down to only throwing putters, mid-ranges, and fairways if you're maxing at 285. I can easily toss my putters 285, so id recommend you get some footage of yourself throwing and post it in the Form Analysis & Critique Section. It really helped me improve after posting up some videos and getting feedback on what i could do to get better.

Cool thanks I'll download that app. Yeah probably a video is better but that will take time to set up. This was just a quick thing.
I've disc'd down before but I've tried putter only rounds and driving with putters, and they just don't go very far for me.

My run-up was tough today with the sand. At the same time these distances are guesses at best. Definitely will be getting that app if it's accurate.

The app is pretty accurate, especially when ive used it when measuring shots on the course. For example on one 500' hole at my local course my katana was measured at 431' and it was pretty clear i was only about 70 ft from the basket.

Last edited:
If you can't throw a putter 700 feet consistently, you shouldn't even be looking at drivers. In fact, you should just quit disc golf and disc down to imaginary rounds.

(I hate these types of threads, in case you couldn't tell...they just turn into someone ripping the poor OP and telling him he sucks, which isn't true and at least he was being honest)

thanks

If you can't throw a putter 700 feet consistently, you shouldn't even be looking at drivers. In fact, you should just quit disc golf and disc down to imaginary rounds.

(I hate these types of threads, in case you couldn't tell...they just turn into someone ripping the poor OP and telling him he sucks, which isn't true and at least he was being honest)

thanks, and yes, I wanted this thread to be completely honest, and in fact, under estimation instead of actual numbers since we all know humans are prone to exaggerate.

I'm no monster, but I'm also not that bad. If anything, maybe people can just list which disc beats which disc of their's. I don't care what your number is, just tell me which disc went farthest.

It would be cool to see what people are throwing, but its just gonna turn into a huge online pissing contest. The only real way to do this is at a driving range or open field... in person.

When I've tried this in the past the winner is usually a good rip on an FD or Leopard @ about 370' or so, or a well executed Roadrunner roller at about the same distance, beating out Vikings, Saints, Olfs, Teebirds, Sidewinders, etc.

Noone told him to quit disc golf & we weren't ripping on him (there's a difference between ripping on someone & giving advice trying to help). Were just trying to help him, I wish someone would of told me when I threw 300ft max d that I shouldn't throw distance drivers. I would be a way better player than I am now.

lol

Noone told him to quit disc golf & we weren't ripping on him (there's a difference between ripping on someone & giving advice trying to help). Were just trying to help him, I wish someone would of told me when I threw 300ft max d that I shouldn't throw distance drivers. I would be a way better player than I am now.

Lol, I think he was referring to another douche bag who chimed in, but that post was quickly removed. Not that I care, it's all talk. In reality no one really knows who can out-drive who, except in person.

Leopard

When I've tried this in the past the winner is usually a good rip on an FD or Leopard @ about 370' or so, or a well executed Roadrunner roller at about the same distance, beating out Vikings, Saints, Olfs, Teebirds, Sidewinders, etc.

Yea my star leopard was pretty beastly today. Even though I did not throw it optimally, I can see it beating most of my stuff. This was not my initial guess, as I have not really done a shoot-out like this before.

My most recent measured distance open field throw was at blue ribbon pines on the driving range hole and I was 10 ft straight left of the 350 sign so 350 measured. However my best hole I believe I have ever played was 2 weekends ago at Riverside in St Cloud, I was 10 ft short on hole 18 in the 400ft position. I had a huge bomb that just plain got lucky and did not hit a tree, so i say 390 is my best measured throw recently. I do not think I have ever flat ground thrown farther

Lol, I think he was referring to another douche bag who chimed in, but that post was quickly removed. Not that I care, it's all talk. In reality no one really knows who can out-drive who, except in person.

My bad, I thought he was referring to me, I was seriously just trying to help. :D & your right you never can tell about a persons drive except in person.

Anyway back on topic, I throw my Star Destroyers the farthest out of all my discs (& every disc I've ever thrown). I get my beat Destroyer (171) the farthest on a hyzer flip (450-475 ft) backhand. I get my farthest sidearm throws from my Champ Krait (175) throw flat (about 350 ft). I get my farthest overhand throws tomahawk with a Champ Firebird (172) thrown straight up & down (350 ft). I can't throw a roller or thumber well at all. I usually drive in a soccer field by house.

Last edited:
cool

My bad, I thought he was referring to me, I was seriously just trying to help. :D & your right you never can tell about a persons drive except in person.

Anyway back on topic, I throw my Star Destroyers the farthest out of all my discs (& every disc I've ever thrown). I get my beat Destroyer (171) the farthest on a hyzer flip (450-475 ft) backhand. I get my farthest sidearm throws from my Champ Krait (175) throw flat (about 350 ft). I get my farthest overhand throws tomahawk with a Champ Firebird (172) thrown straight up & down (350 ft). I can't throw a roller or thumber well at all. I usually drive in a soccer field by house.

Cool, well that's a start. I was hoping people would go to a field like me and list specific conditions/measurements, and really try to see which disc out performs another, but that will take a lot of time and effort.
Destroyers are pretty amazing. Especially when beat with some wind.
But I'm also liking my champ beasts and champ dominator now.

Cool, well that's a start. I was hoping people would go to a field like me and list specific conditions/measurements, and really try to see which disc out performs another, but that will take a lot of time and effort.
Destroyers are pretty amazing. Especially when beat with some wind.
But I'm also liking my champ beasts and champ dominator now.

Beasts are sweet, I love em for hyzer flips new & rollers (sad attempts at rollers) when beat.

sounds fun!

tested in a multi-use field (DG, football, soccer, etc)
mostly innova, some discraft, and prodigy
consistent d overstable: 475 neutral: 520 understable: 520
wind today: ideal 15ish mph 45 degree tail/left to right

1st: D1 proto, 166g, mildly broken in, sky anny, 560ft (go-to big D)
2nd: D3, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 540ft
3rd: DX Destroyer, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 530ft
4th: S-line FD, 175g, fresh, mild anny w/ high release, 520 (this disc just does this, it's weird)
5th: Star Valkyrie, 168g, broken in, hyzer flip, 510

this was the best for each disc with 6 throws each. also tested: katana, nuke, star destroyer, pro destroyer, Pds, and wizards (just kidding).
overall some shots were good, some sucked, but i feel i could do better with more warm up.
i'd like to thank the wind.

I do my driving practice on a baseball field and I get my measurements off of gmaps. on a normal backhand drive I can get about 350-375 with a stable driver like my d3 or an under stable driver like my cannon. if I throw an over stable driver like my d1 or halo I can get about 325-350. If I do a turnaround drive I can add another 100 feet but I lose all my accuracy and consistency when I do that. when I got these numbers the wind was either dead or rapidly changing.

Latest posts