• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your MAX DISTANCE disc(s) choice in an OPEN FIELD – UPDATED JULY 2013

sounds fun!

tested in a multi-use field (DG, football, soccer, etc)
mostly innova, some discraft, and prodigy
consistent d overstable: 475 neutral: 520 understable: 520
wind today: ideal 15ish mph 45 degree tail/left to right

1st: D1 proto, 166g, mildly broken in, sky anny, 560ft (go-to big D)
2nd: D3, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 540ft
3rd: DX Destroyer, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 530ft
4th: S-line FD, 175g, fresh, mild anny w/ high release, 520 (this disc just does this, it's weird)
5th: Star Valkyrie, 168g, broken in, hyzer flip, 510

this was the best for each disc with 6 throws each. also tested: katana, nuke, star destroyer, pro destroyer, Pds, and wizards (just kidding).
overall some shots were good, some sucked, but i feel i could do better with more warm up.
i'd like to thank the wind.

You throw a D1 560......i'd love to see a video of you throwing some discs max d. I feel I could learn something.

You throw a D1 560......i'd love to see a video of you throwing some discs max d. I feel I could learn something.

i've wanted to post a video so many times, i just don't have a camera (spends all his money on discs). it's all about pinky dominant, nose down, sky anhyzers for the mildly overstable stuff.
someday i'll borrow some equipment.

I throw 647ft on the internet, but the altitude is different in my world.

If I threw 10 discs (teebirds/saints) I would hit 330-360 8/10 times. With high speed drivers I have gotten over 400 feet a few times, but It was as much luck as skill. I am lucky if I can break 420 on my best throw.

If you can't throw a putter 700 feet consistently, you shouldn't even be looking at drivers. In fact, you should just quit disc golf and disc down to imaginary rounds.

(I hate these types of threads, in case you couldn't tell...they just turn into someone ripping the poor OP and telling him he sucks, which isn't true and at least he was being honest)

You can only throw a putter 700'? My grandmother was cranking Ultrastars 800' uphill yesterday. I think you need to throw some mini-only rounds.

You know you can just not read these threads since they piss you off so bad. It's not like this one had a cryptic title.

I got confused so I'll just post my max distances with what I use the most.:thmbup:

Innova Katana - 420ft to 440ft

Discmania PD,TD and TD2 - 390ft to 410ft

Innova Leopard - 330ft to 370ft

Discraft Comet - 280ft to 320ft

Latitude 64 Pure - shots up to 300ft

I do my driving practice on a baseball field and I get my measurements off of gmaps. on a normal backhand drive I can get about 350-375 with a stable driver like my d3 or an under stable driver like my cannon. if I throw an over stable driver like my d1 or halo I can get about 325-350. If I do a turnaround drive I can add another 100 feet but I lose all my accuracy and consistency when I do that. when I got these numbers the wind was either dead or rapidly changing.

How do you use Gmaps for this? It would probably be more accurate than me pacing off my throws.

sounds fun!

tested in a multi-use field (DG, football, soccer, etc)
mostly innova, some discraft, and prodigy
consistent d overstable: 475 neutral: 520 understable: 520
wind today: ideal 15ish mph 45 degree tail/left to right

1st: D1 proto, 166g, mildly broken in, sky anny, 560ft (go-to big D)
2nd: D3, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 540ft
3rd: DX Destroyer, 168g, mildly broken in, hyzer flip, 530ft
4th: S-line FD, 175g, fresh, mild anny w/ high release, 520 (this disc just does this, it's weird)
5th: Star Valkyrie, 168g, broken in, hyzer flip, 510

this was the best for each disc with 6 throws each. also tested: katana, nuke, star destroyer, pro destroyer, Pds, and wizards (just kidding).
overall some shots were good, some sucked, but i feel i could do better with more warm up.
i'd like to thank the wind.

In the deep in the game videos, Jussi Meresmaa throws FD's for distance, and he gets one out past 570'

How do you use Gmaps for this? It would probably be more accurate than me pacing off my throws.

There is a lab for that in Google Maps. You just have to open Google Maps, go to the labs page, find the distance measurement tool, and enable it. A little ruler should pop up somewhere on the screen, and you can use that to measure distance.

nice

There is a lab for that in Google Maps. You just have to open Google Maps, go to the labs page, find the distance measurement tool, and enable it. A little ruler should pop up somewhere on the screen, and you can use that to measure distance.

nice thanks, this will be useful.

that app was not free, so I'm gonna tinker with this google map thing :D

The Udisc app only works on courses, and only on courses in the USA. I'm in Canada, so I'll try and use Gmaps...unless there's something similar that covers courses around Ontario.

Thanks for the tip though. :)

Using Gmaps to determine distance, I had the following results in an open filed with almost no wind.

174 Rampage-409' (Hyzer)

173g Icon Cannon-426' (hyzer flip)
175 champ destroyer (6/10)-423' (Severe hyzer flip)

173g Icon cannon-458' (High anhyzer flex)
175g P-line DD2-459' (Threw it very high and flat. This disc anhyzers all the way to the ground.)
175g champ Mamba-434' (Same as DD2)

I thought I was throwing farther than that. Apparently the Gmaps distance calculator is pretty accurate though.

Gmaps decided to "update" on android devices so I can't use that anymore. what else do you guys use to measure distance?

dbag

I am the douchebag and this thread is still sad.

Yeah you Are a douche, nice negative feedback on your iTrader.
How about you give your buyer what he paid for instead of talking trash on this page.

gmap

Gmaps decided to "update" on android devices so I can't use that anymore. what else do you guys use to measure distance?

So gmap turned this function off ??
How did it work in the past?

Could you measure your exact position to another position?

nice thanks, this will be useful.

that app was not free, so I'm gonna tinker with this google map thing :D

$3 is practically free, and it helps support the people developing the app. :doh:

The Udisc app only works on courses, and only on courses in the USA. I'm in Canada, so I'll try and use Gmaps...unless there's something similar that covers courses around Ontario.

Thanks for the tip though. :)

You are wrong, the "Measure Shot" feature works ANYWHERE.

Sorry to hear that it doesnt work in Canada, but you could always contact them and request they add courses from Canada.