• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

I think a Beast CAN be thrown as far as a Tern, but the Tern will take less effort to reach the same distance. It's faster and glides better. I've actually had some very long tosses with Beasts through the years. It's the longest 10 speed driver out there.

The Tern is unique in that it has the flight characteristics of a slower disc even though its a 12 speed.

The Beast CAN get out there... so can the Sidewinder. But I agree with you: the Tern feels like a slower speed disc and throws like a lesser speed disc, but flies like a full 12 speed.

I typically don't bag a ton of drivers. Typically I only bring a single driver with me for rounds, and the Tern is consistently the longest disc for me. Very easy to throw, always bombs ... if you consider 330-350 for bombs :p

I would gratefully take a consistent 330-350 from any disc.

I can answer than with one word: Tern.

For anyone say 320 to 360, it's going to be their longest disc. I see no reason to throw a 10 or 11 when that 12 is sitting there, and it's my longest disc.

The Tern is not for everyone especially me. I don't think I am getting it up to speed not seeing any high speed turn. Seems more power hungry than a Beast which seems more power hungry than a Valkyrie. But I only own 2 Terns maybe mine are turds, and require more speed than a slower (9-10) speed disc.

The Tern is not for everyone especially me. I don't think I am getting it up to speed not seeing any high speed turn. Seems more power hungry than a Beast which seems more power hungry than a Valkyrie. But I only own 2 Terns maybe mine are turds, and require more speed than a slower (9-10) speed disc.

Well, how far are you throwing the Tern? It does take some speed to turn. The Tern isn't quite as flippy as you might be led to believe. I find they can generally handle full strength rips pretty easily without flipping all the way over.

If you aren't hitting 350', you probably won't get high speed turn out of a Tern.

When I was less injured, I could get my Inertia out about 350'. Pretty sure I hit 375' at least once. I have a walking wheel that I use to measure some of my throws from time to time. Now that I'm out of form/injured I measured a few of my Crave throws between 250-290'. I got my Vanish out to 320' once, but it was slightly down hill. I mainly stick with fairways now until I can start doing Yoga again and working on my form, so 280ish is realistically my max on the course.

Of course, I can throw my Envy over them mountains, but that's hard to measure.

Well, how far are you throwing the Tern? It does take some speed to turn. The Tern isn't quite as flippy as you might be led to believe. I find they can generally handle full strength rips pretty easily without flipping all the way over.

If you aren't hitting 350', you probably won't get high speed turn out of a Tern.

My max is about 310-320 with a CH Valkyrie. It was stated (in my previous quote) a Tern would be a good max distance driver for someone in the 320-360 range. I think it could possibly be a max D disc for 350' of power but not 320' of power like stated in what PMantle wrote. I would think for someone maxing out at 310-320 a slower disc like a Valkyrie or Sidewinder would be better.

I would think for someone maxing out at 310-320 a slower disc like a Valkyrie or Sidewinder would be better.
I'd love to see a bunch of players in that range throw those side by side.

I often goof around at our courses during lunch. Yesterday, I went out to the course where I could play the same two side by side holes over and over. They are back and forth, so I could throw into and down wind max distance back to back.

I brought the following 11s: Wraith(Star), CD3, DD, Mystere, Renegade, Mamba, and Thrasher(11?/12?). To get a bigger separation in speed, I also brought a Star Shryke.

I did not throw the super US ones into the wind, and I did not throw the DD downwind. The Shryke won every single time, and only a few of those throws were over 350. I think one would have to get really close to 300 for the slower stuff to match the really efficient speed 12 stuff like Terns.

I found a champ Sidewinder on the course yesterday. Just for fun I was throwing it on most holes alongside all my fast stuff. Interestingly the SW was keeping up with things like a Boss, Nuke, Torrent and Tern.

I forgot how long the SW really is. It's easily capable of 400'+ bombs. I can still get the faster discs out further, but the SW is a nice alternative. Mellow flight too, and it wasn't flipping over.

Brought the Destiny out too. It's as long or longer than any disc I had in the bag. A hair flippy for my liking, but its on another level distance-wise. It and the Shryke are the two longest discs for me at this time.

The glide on the SW is 11. I swear I have given up on drives with it shaking my head that I threw it too low only to see it go 50' past where I thought it would stop. I should have included it in the above throwings.

Maybe I need to try the Star Tern I believe is rated less HSS. But I am hesitant thinking I won't get it up to speed. Or maybe my champion Tern has a higher PLH than most not sure.

Try one. I have a bunch. The heavier Starlite Terns are actually less US than regular Star and G* and the two I have are my longest discs. You would probably have no trouble with lowish 160s Star Terns. They bomb. Champs are almost like another mold.

RHBH 340-365 Ch. Mystere/ P-PD/ Opto Ballista
RHFH 360-385 C-PD/ Star Destroyer

I was throwing 375+ BH but fate took away my E-DS, but it did give me my C-PD!

I found a champ Sidewinder on the course yesterday. Just for fun I was throwing it on most holes alongside all my fast stuff. Interestingly the SW was keeping up with things like a Boss, Nuke, Torrent and Tern.

I forgot how long the SW really is. It's easily capable of 400'+ bombs. I can still get the faster discs out further, but the SW is a nice alternative. Mellow flight too, and it wasn't flipping over.

Brought the Destiny out too. It's as long or longer than any disc I had in the bag. A hair flippy for my liking, but its on another level distance-wise. It and the Shryke are the two longest discs for me at this time.

I think I told the story of seeing someone on my home course throw a bomb on an open hole (360+ feet). I asked what he threw and he said a beat up Sidewinder. He said the Sidewinder did as well as allegedly faster drivers, and he had been using it for years.

That's what started me thinking about Sidewinders (I used a GL Fury at the time; it got very flippy understable). I saw a nice bright pink Champion Sidewinder at DiscStalker and bought it, and I really liked it (still do): straight shot, good distance, some fade at the end. Then I got a (wouldn't you know it, pink) Star Sidewinder. It's a bit of a turnover disc, but still gets great distance. It replaced the Fury in my bag.

I still get more distance in the open with Terns, Destiny and Shrykes, but with good form I can get the Sidewinder out there on a good pull. Sidewinders DO rule!

I think I told the story of seeing someone on my home course throw a bomb on an open hole (360+ feet). I asked what he threw and he said a beat up Sidewinder. He said the Sidewinder did as well as allegedly faster drivers, and he had been using it for years.

That's what started me thinking about Sidewinders (I used a GL Fury at the time; it got very flippy understable). I saw a nice bright pink Champion Sidewinder at DiscStalker and bought it, and I really liked it (still do): straight shot, good distance, some fade at the end. Then I got a (wouldn't you know it, pink) Star Sidewinder. It's a bit of a turnover disc, but still gets great distance. It replaced the Fury in my bag.

I still get more distance in the open with Terns, Destiny and Shrykes, but with good form I can get the Sidewinder out there on a good pull. Sidewinders DO rule!

A Sidewinder is easy to throw. I find that with a good, flat rip it'll drift right a bit before coming very slowly back at the end of flight. Great glide and almost nonexistent low speed fade. It will turn and burn occasionally, but usually only when you torque it too much. What the SW lacks in speed it makes up for in glide, easily.

OP here. Thanks for all the responses. Nice to see a lot of the site regulars are under 400' like myself. I was getting shamed by the first wave of posts all saying over 400'. I feel like I have the physical tools to get there, but piss poor form haha...one day maybe.

Also, after all this Tern talk I think I need to get one.

OP here. Thanks for all the responses. Nice to see a lot of the site regulars are under 400' like myself. I was getting shamed by the first wave of posts all saying over 400'.

Remember that this is the interwebz, where throwing 1 shot 400' as measured by an inaccurate tee sign, with a tailwind, downhill means that is your average on flat ground.

OP here. Thanks for all the responses. Nice to see a lot of the site regulars are under 400' like myself. I was getting shamed by the first wave of posts all saying over 400'. I feel like I have the physical tools to get there, but piss poor form haha...one day maybe.

Also, after all this Tern talk I think I need to get one.

Grab a Tern for sure. Maybe even get a champion and a star and see which one you like most. Good news is, if you want to resell one of them you can, easily. Lots of demand for Terns.

I'll chip in with more sidewinder love. I've been my domey and glidey as all get out star sidewinder out 350+. I can get my star wraiths out in the 350 range as well.

Just picked up a used champ tern, but have only thrown it once. It went far, but was flippier than I anticipated. I'll need to play with it a bit more to see if it can beat the sidewinder with a similar line. What I like about the sidewinder is that it has such a mellow controlled high speed turn. Rarely turns and burns. On an open hole, it may finish further right than I want if I torque it too much, but it almost always goes far as it long it doesn't hit anything. Granted, mine has only been in the bag for a few weeks so I'm sure it'll get flipper with time.

Latest posts