• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your "Sky Anny" Disc

armiller

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
This is a shot I only recently started attempting, as my backhand continues to improve. The only disc I can really make work is my Relay. I've tried with higher speeds like a Z Heat or Champ Valkyrie with no luck (still a little too overstable so they fade out on me). I've never been one to bag a bunch of flippy discs, but I imagine those are the discs I'm missing for this shot.

What discs do others use for these shots? I imagine there's some benefit to using speed 6-8 types (like my Relay) but do you also use higher speeds? Thanks.

I like something with anywhere from a -0.5/1 to -1/2 type stability for this shot. If it's a sky-turnover type shot then it'll be more like -3/1. But I prefer to get it up high, set a pretty steep angle, know that it won't add too much more to the angle to turn it into a roller, but that there's a touch of stability so that it will keep panning towards flat as it drifts right so it stays gliding. I prefer the Comet overall for this shot, then a mellow Teebird for fairways, and I am currently using a Gstar Destroyer for distance drivers (-1/2 type of flight driver for me). The faster the disc I feel like you need to commit to the shot more, due to nose angle being more finicky and also because they will inherently fade a bit more if you mess up...but it also lets you set the angle a little steeper from the get go and trust it won't roll.

It's crucial that you have a nose down release. Make sure you can throw a sweeping anny shot with your putter, or else there's no way your drivers will work out...and they'll keep you scratching your head as to why.

175g Champion Roadrunner. Absolutely love this mold. I had also been using a Relay for a little while but it got a bit too understable for me. The Roadrunner can handle power/speed a lot better. I'm holding onto the Relay to introduce a new player to fairway speeds.

170g C-TD has been working great for me. Tons of glide, enough stability to keep from rolling all the way over, holds the anhyzer for 80% of it's flight before flattening out with a gentle landing. Underrated disc right there.

Depends on the distance, but here are my discs for that shot going from shortest to longest:

champ glow big bead Aviar
s-line MD
gstar Thunderbird
PNF Pro Destroyer

S FD, or E* Teebird. They both can hold an annu from way up high and have very little chance of turning too much. I find faster discs are tougher. They either turn too much or fight out if the angle isn't perfect.

Gold Line Vison and a beat Champion Beast is what i use for huge annys. An very beat star Archon comes out for high tailwind annys or stupid shots that i never want to fade. I also use a Lucid Freedom where i need some decent fade at the end.

Depends on the distance

Yeti
Comet
Leopard
Beat DX Roc, DX Gazelle and DX Teebird
Sidewinder
Roadrunner
will all work for me.

I actually can throw all of my bag on a big anny, some just flex out earlier. Useful to know how all your discs work on an anny line

Something stable on that anny line that pans out is awesome.

For something with less stability, I suggest a Mongoose.

Worn in Pro plastic discs work well for me. I have a P-Line FD I use most of the time and a Pro Wraith I'll pull out for absolute max distance anhyzers.

Another vote for the Hatchet- dependable holding of the anni line with no fade out

I also have an Avenger SS that works well sometimes, but ocassionally turns into a BH cut roller

Also If I really crank on a Renegade it holds the line- got to commit to it though

Any disc will work but i find the more US stuff needs to be thrown flatter or even with a slight hyzer if very US for a true panning sky anny vs one that will be a sky roller.

My favorite discs to throw like this are my ion and theory/tangent. The virus/vanish are good too and of course the relay does everything well except fight a headwind lol.

You can even throw very OS discs on anny or roller lines with the right angle.

Cant say i throw the motion like this very often but...

Latest posts