• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your "Sky Anny" Disc

I like to throw something with some turn and fade to level it out... something like a Valkyrie/beast/inertia, that general range of stability. It'll give me some distance on the anny throw but flattens out so there is no cut roll. Shorter range stuff it's fun to throw a proxy/pure/neutral putter of some sort. Nothing super OS or US just relatively neutral.

By sky anny i assume were talking about shots that you put up high on an anhyzer with the intention of having it hold the line the whole flight. That's a very different throw and a very different line than a turnover shot that starts hyzered or flat and then pans.

I've used a seasoned stag, river, pure, leopard, truth, claymore, seer and proabably a few other things for that shot.

It's really important to minimize OAT on these shots so that your any doesn't pitch further and go roller, and high spin on the plane of moment is going to help the disc hold the line throughout flight.

Something slow. That's about it. Holding anhyzer will give you plenty of distance. Other than that, it depends on how much you want it to turn over vs. how much you want to put it on the anhyzer.

Depending on range, a Z Buzzz, E* TB, or E* DS, are getting thrown on high anny lines.

I can do it with a Fossil Wizard or a DX Vroc but my preferred disc for this shot is my Pinnacle Patriot. Fast enough and glidey enough to get really good distance on the pure anhyzer line, but the Pinnacle plastic gives it just enough pan at the very end that it doesn't become an inadvertent roller. Patriot somehow magically pans at just the right moment.

I've been trying this shot with a G-Line PD and a VIP Sword but I have yet to find the sweet spot on either between high flex shot and sky roller. The Patriot doesnt need much of a learning curve and I can still get it to like 340 or so so no current need to rely on the other discs.

S-FD, Glow Nemesis, Icon Gauge

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Orbital if I need to go long, Axis or Ion if it's short. Like the OP mentioned, the Relay is also a good disc for the job, but they can be a little stable at the end when new.

BT Northman or TP Warship depending on distance. Used to carry Tursas for this shot specifically but have found I am more consistent with more neutral stability but still high glide for this.

Driver: Gold Line Fury is perfect for this. Surprised I have not seen it mentioned yet.

Mids: Mako3, (Blue) Panther in a pinch.

Putters: Opto Pure, Lucid Judge.

I prefer a neutral discs for most anny shots. Lightweight Crave, or 165 Inspire are my usual anny discs. Occasionally I will use my Inertia if I need more distance. Envy holds a nice anny too, though the Proxy is probably a little better at it.

Champ Sidewinder, if I want a touch of fade at the very end. Champ Roadrunner if I just want it to hold the whole way.

@tu-f-o All very US just 6/10/12 speeds. Signal does nothing for me but turnover lol. I actually had a hard time tbrowing that flippy thing.

Saint. Massive anny- ddx in that last run of flippy star.

Winter bag: Frost Saint. Massive anny- that almost unreal domey dome on a one of a kind gstar destroyer. By the way I don't throw destroyers normally.

The only Legacy I bag anymore is for a sky anny that'll hold the whole way. It's a 166g Icon Bandit (first run, of course). If it needs some fade back at the end, it'll be a Champ Sidewinder.

So to recap:
1) stable to understable (I didn't say in my original post that my Comet and Pure have also performed beautifully)
2) lower speeds seem slightly better? (though there are lots of exceptions, and it seems like faster discs need to be more understable?)

I realize that I shy away from flippy high speed drivers, which might be why I don't have anything over speed 9 for the shot. I did have a Z Nuke SS that worked great for some turnovers, but had too much LSS to be consistent as a sky anny disc. I have a Pinnacle Patriot and Champ Leopard, but the Patriot in particular has a little too much fade for this shot... tree golf, here we come.

But as usual, it's more about the thrower than the plastic. I'm still working on the angles on my flex shots, turnovers, and sky annys. I appreciate the tips.

^I think the more neutral, the better. Since higher speed discs tend to not be truly neutral (like putters or a mid like a Comet), and they will always want to fade when they slow down (which can help the disc pan/glide longer), then I do like it to have a touch of turn so that it holds the anny for longer.

For high speed drivers, I actually throw my "middle stability" distance driver for the shot...my Vulcan will turn way too much to not start it on a hyzer, and my more turny Destroyer is too finicky. With high speed discs I feel like it's almost easier to really power the disc over the apex on an angle, and let it pan out of the shot over time. If you're trying to give it "some angle", knowing it will add to it, but not wanting to crank it too hard and turn it into a roller...then it becomes way too finicky of a shot (a little too much might cut roll, but babying it will make it flex out real fast). That being said I think that a slightly less stable disc may go the farthest, but at that point it's a full distance line rather than pretty reproducible golf shot to me. If I need the disc to 100% go right and have some distance, then I'd rather throw a FH, but the higher anny shot with a stable disc can definitely go farther and end up farther right...just it might not if you mess up.

Last edited:

Latest posts