• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Z Stalker vs. ESP Cyclone vs. Z XL vs...

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
MY Z Stalker is sitting ontop a frozen pond. I will eventually get it back (they have a diver that retrieves discs) so I'm not in a rush to replace it with another Stalker. I figured this may be a good time to audition another disc for that slot.

RHBH
275-300'
Straight Shot

The Z Stalker fit this role. It went straight with minimal fade at the end and is what I'm looking to replecate.

I have an ESP XL that I use for my slightly understable driver slot and am used to the feel of it. I heard the Z's are more overstable and wondered if the stability would equal that of the Stalker.

I'm not crazy about the feel of a Cyclone but am willing to give it a shot.

I also have in my stash a couple of those Marshall ST. Stamped Apache and Savages that were on sale a few months ago. I believe people said they were slightly more stable than the regular HPP E runs. I haven't had a chance to test yet.

Once again, "Buy another Stalker" comments are useless. I will be getting mine back. Maybe in the future I'll get another as a backup but I'd rather try something new right now.

Thanks!

I was just wondering this myself. I have a ESP Cyclone (love it) but I also just scooped up a Stalker after reading the "Stalker???" thread. I'm guessing the Stalker flies like a longer Z Buzzz which is what I'm curious about. The Z Buzzz can handle a bit of wind where as the ESP Buzzz (beat in.) can't. The ESP Cyclone is great for no wind, wooded courses but if there is wind of any kind I won't trust it.. Maybe the Stalker is a good choice? I'll soon find out....:popcorn:

fwiw, i like the stalker a lot but having a leopard and a stalker in the same bag is just too much overlap for me so i just own a leopard now. have you considered the leopard? although that might overlap too much with your teebird...

I've had Z & X XL & liked them both. The Z started with decent but not huge fade. Just a little beatin' & it will have a little turn & a little fade, & I have about the same D as you

Surprised at the Leopard. I had a DX and Pro Leopard and they were way more understable than the Stalker. In fact, it was even more understable than the XL.

The Teebird I have is Star. It's my slightly overstable driver.

I would have to say throw your Buzzz hard as hell and you will get the same result as a stalker. IMO. I carry both in my bag, I tired Z Stalkers but found they were flippy for me but Glo-Z could handle the snap. Frustrated I just started to throw my Buzzz harder and got the same result I was going for with the stalker. I only carry the stalker now for glo golf.
Now it seems whenever I throw my stalker I find myself saying "Why did'nt I throw my Buzzz"

It depends on if you're planning on staying at that distance or if you're planning on throwing farther and want something that will stay straight. If you're planning on staying at that distance just about any neutralish speed 6 disc will work. If it's high end plastic it will take some beating before it's that straight. Low end plastics will get there faster and you'll probably find them longer and easier to control, too.

The Cyclone and XL will probably have a bit more turn than the Stalker, especially if you get an especially good rip or there's a bit of a headwind. The XL will probably be the longest of the three. If you want something closer to a Stalker the Sabre is worth looking at as well. It will loose fade as it beats in but still remain a bit more HSS than the others. It will also be on the shorter side, similar to the Stalker. The JLS, Leopard and TL are probably also worth considering, but all in all I'm not sure it will make a huge difference at those distances.

If you're planning on throwing farther in the future, the Teebird, and Sabre will remain straight at longer distances with the Teebird being easier to throw farther. The JLS will be pretty good, too. The TL, XL, Leopard and Cyclone will develop more turn at high speeds, which can be a good thing, but it's not what you asked for.

You should try the Apache since you already have it, however it should fly a little more similiar to a TeeBird than a Stalker (in a perfect world). With not liking the feel of the Cyclone, I would go Z XL. I would also get it just a little lighter than your Stalker. Then you have the potential for one mold, two plastics to cover those shots.

A z xl will be considerably mover stable then a stalker. Your esp should be close, but a bit more fade at the end of it flight compared to a stalker.

For a straight 275'-300' shot I'd say no to all these fairway drivers and go to a Squall, Gremlin, Buzzz, or Mako. I've seen some negative comments about the Mako but I can really nut into my 2 and they just don't turn or fade at all. More stable than any of those discs but less fade too.

I've seen some negative comments about the Mako but I can really nut into my 2 and they just don't turn or fade at all.

:confused: uhhh what?

Anyway-

A leopard is way more understable at that power level IMO, so they don't overlap. A TL will be close in flight path IMO but have a different feel in your hand.

DOMEY Z XL
^this part matters alot with this disc, the flat ones are more understable right out of the box.
But I've been going through the same XL, Stalker issue, and I've decided to use the XL because as I beat them up, they have other uses for me, the stalker just becomes unreliable
But the XL is a former distance holder at 693' or so I believe, for me it flies as far as many of my drivers if I want it to, and is just all around more usable for different kinds of shots.

Z XL fades more like a champ teebird for me. A new base plastic XL is a straight flyer and will become flippy with wear. I've never tried the X plastic. A lighter 165-167 beat star TL would be another choice for a straight flyer.

Last edited:
I would say this is a good time to get a backup Stalker

- Stalkers offer more distance potential than most people on here give them credit for.
- I've tried most of the suggested replacements and they do not offer the same easy controlled flight.
- I think a Leopard might be closest, but I haven't tried the Sabre.

The stalker is a lil straighter then the others and does lower lines easier.

The xl is probally the most versitile and really excells on h flips, however, usually has the most turn.

The cyclone knocked both others out of the bag for me, bot it does turn and likes to thrown with some air under it.

I actually think what you want is a z tracker.

Fwiw, I find flat z xl's to have the least amont of turn.
I find the stalker to be the least versitile and least dependable- it doesn't hold the anny well without a lot of effort and can flip out and turn when trying to push past 340 on a hyzer.I also had a hard time becomeing 100% comfortable with then on h flips.

My fav xl's are x. A good one will start off straight then work into a anny of h flipper, slight dome is my preference.

Esp clones I like stable and dense cus I use tp's as my main clones- the esp eventually becomes like tp:)

Latest posts