• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zombee - New name for the 2012 Ace Race disc

Yesterday I posted a thread on dgcr about the new name on the 2012 Ace Race disc.
Now I almost wish I didn't.
:)
If I like a disc but the name is bad or the stamp is ugly.
That's nothing my biggest sharpie can't fix.
:D

It's a slow fairway, fast mid, tweener type disc. You could use it for midrange, or driving.

Its similar to a Gremlin. Not in flight or feel so much, but more the spot it is trying to fill. I think the Zombee will go farther than the Grem, and when you put mustard on it, it has very little high speed turn (as opposed to the Grem) so the discs themselves are not alike at all, but I get more or less the same golf shots out of them.

But Ive loved the Gremlin stamp for years, so now Zombee for me.

Aren't all of the other bee-related names midranges? I thought this disc was a driver.

Yeah, they really should cut the crap with the bold part:

The 2012 Ace Race prototype disc is officially classified as a long range driver, but it could be more accurately described as a hybrid driver and is superb for running aces! Faster than a Buzzz but slower than a Stalker, the disc offers players controlled fairway shots. At medium to fast speeds this disc will hold the line to finish with a slight hyzer. Give it a rip!

Call it a mid or an approach and leave it at that. Just because you can drive with an Aviar or a Wizard doesn't make those "long range drivers."

Disappointing. Oh well.

Call it a mid or an approach and leave it at that. Just because you can drive with an Aviar or a Wizard doesn't make those "long range drivers."

Disappointing. Oh well.

Yeah, I agree. It is definitely more like a mid in my book. And that's what I use it for.

I've looked through this trying to find approximate flight ratings. I picked one of these up but weather has been abysmal and I haven't gotten a chance to throw it.

People are saying a longer buzzz, would it be like a Westside Warship?

I've looked through this trying to find approximate flight ratings. I picked one of these up but weather has been abysmal and I haven't gotten a chance to throw it.

People are saying a longer buzzz, would it be like a Westside Warship?

Think longer than both. It's supposed to be a driver, so maybe a shorter Stalker:

Buzzz • Warship • Stalker

Despite the fact that thousands of people have thrown this disc already, there is still limited quantifiable flight data available. If Discraft had more than just a net stability and a distance description, we might have more to go on, but until it's commercially available, the Zombee is limited to rough comparisons like the one above.

I like the disc but can anyone give me a logical explanation as to why they are calling it a "long range driver" as opposed to fairway driver? I know the subject has come up before but I'd like a real answer. It seems strange to me.

^ Does Discraft have a "Fairway Driver" Title? I think the XL/ Cyclone are long range drivers.

I like the disc but can anyone give me a logical explanation as to why they are calling it a "long range driver" as opposed to fairway driver? I know the subject has come up before but I'd like a real answer. It seems strange to me.

Its just discraft's nonsensical categorization of drivers based on distance. It goes Long Range Driver, Extra Long Range Drivers, then Maximum Distance Drivers. My suspicion is they called their drivers "Long Range Drivers" at first, then when they got faster, they created a new category to differentiate from a marketing standpoint, and so on and so on.

Discraft has Putters, Mid-Range Drivers, Long Range Drivers, Extra-Long Distance Drivers, and Max Distance Drivers.

Someone with better knowledge can probably chime in, but I would guess in the early days of their disc golf production, it was just Putters, Mid Range Drivers and Long Range Drivers. As the game evolved, what was once a long range driver is now considered a fairway or control driver, but Discraft hasn't bothered to change the categorization.

I noticed the Long Range Driver thing right away as well.

In the facebook write-up they call it a fairway though.

Discraft Disc Golf
Memorial release preview week, disc 1 of 4 is the much-anticipated Z Zombee.

Formerly known as the 2012 Ace Race proto, Zombee is a fairway driver that's faster than a Buzzz but slower than a Stalker. With a stability rating of 1.0, Zombee is slow and relentless, offering players controlled fairway shots the will hold the line with a slight hyzer finish.

First run Discraft Zombee will debut at The Memorial Championship, Feb 27-Mar 2, Scottsdale AZ. Look for it at retailers March 8th.