• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Yeah they will eventually beat.into bombers but most ive thrown were beefy in the start. I wiah they came out less stable n flat like frs.ull like em tjoigh

I haven't been following this thread too closely since I've been happy with my Destroyer combos for quite a while, but I've gotta question after playing in some extremely strong winds over the last week (35+ mph constant with gusts up to 50 mph).

What should I be looking for for the most stable Destroyers? I've never had problems with max weight Star Destroyers before, but when the wind described above was a headwind they were flipping from ~7:00 hyzers and into rollers. I have one champion glow that I did not have with me to try out...should this be the answer?...or would I need different mold in those conditions? Should I be looking for flatter or domier ones?

Unity said:
I haven't been following this thread too closely since I've been happy with my Destroyer combos for quite a while, but I've gotta question after playing in some extremely strong winds over the last week (35+ mph constant with gusts up to 50 mph).

What should I be looking for for the most stable Destroyers? I've never had problems with max weight Star Destroyers before, but when the wind described above was a headwind they were flipping from ~7:00 hyzers and into rollers. I have one champion glow that I did not have with me to try out...should this be the answer?...or would I need different mold in those conditions? Should I be looking for flatter or domier ones?

the champ glo destroyers are the beefiest destroyers ive thrown. you wont be turning those things into rollers. also the newer light, domy champ destroyers are crazy overstable. i tossed a few a few months ago and wouldve sworn they were fast monsters.

lotta swing with destroyers.

Unity said:

I went through the whole process of using Destroyers for all my D driver shots last year (see the early pages in this thread). I tried everything that has been mentioned for my overstable slot, but I wasn't satisfied for a couple of reasons. Like most distance drivers, the Destroyer mold is designed to fade late. You can find Destroyers that initially seem HSS enough to compensate for this fact, but when you actually use them in decent head/crosswinds they want to flatten out/flip a little and fly like all other Destroyers. This is only one of the problems though...Most of the overstable Destroyers happen to be domey, many excessively so. This causes too much turbulence during flight and even if the disc kind of holds the line it still gets bounced around and slowed really badly.

My advice is to keep on throwing your Destroyers and add a CPD2 for your wind beater. DGdave and I have been throwing them for months now, and I'm pretty sure neither of us has seen a wind get the best of the disc. It feels a lot like a Destroyer.

This also brings up another issue: minimalism and max D drivers. I have found that max D drivers are almost all designed to fly essentially like a longer/faster Valkyries when thrown with the proper speed. Because of this, none really start out overstable, they just appear so when underpowered. They all want to get out, get flat, turn a little, and come back gently. You can throw other lines with them of course, but it is much more hit or miss. I think the CPD2 is perhaps an exception though, as it seems to generally want to start fading earlier than other D drivers. Obviously the biggest problem with throwing only CPD2s is that you much use Ps mostly because the CPD2 will take forever to break into a flippable distance disc. Personally I would never trust my "go to" D driver to be Pro plastic unless they started out exactly where I wanted them stability wise. This is simply because a disc can't be the perfect stability if that stability is subject to change during the round. Perhaps when the S line comes out it will make it easier to be minimalistic with the mold. Overall though I would advise against minimalism for distance drivers because they are all designed too specifically to cover a decent range of stabilities. IMO most of today's D drivers are at their best slightly broken in and become less predictable really fast as they break in past that point.

Bottom Stamp Star Destroyer-my favorite sidearm disc. You almost can't beat these things in. Have two in the bag, both over a year old, both 172. Only one gets thrown all the time, so its really beat up. But when I break the second one out for practice, they both fly exactly the same-about 400-430.

I beat in a SDS to be just amazing and I threw it into the middle of a lake today. So upset. Going to start the new process of beating in a new one tomorrow.

Hope that never happens to me. I have a Star Destroyer that is about 2 years old. She's pure butter sauce. I have a couple others in the bag that are following right behind her. Sorry for your loss.

Just be careful. Some jackass at Innova made a run of Star/Echo/Bottom Stamped Destroyers with the Vulcan top. Not only is it flippier, but not PDGA approved.

Probably because it's not the disc they approved as a destroyer? Or are the rules so slack that they allow changing the disc that much?