• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Are all of the E* destroyers the vulcan top? All 3 of the E* destroyers I have are flat on top of the rim like the vulcan. What is the general consensus of the effect of this top?

Yeah, most of the max weights don't have the vulcan style top. All the lighter weights and echos I have seen have it. Stocked up on 5 max AJ dtwahs...should be set for awhile.

Star Shark said:
Looks as if a fairly big run of Star, Echo Star and Bottom Stamp Star Destroyers are Vulcan topped. Whoops.
Do we know for sure that this is a mistake? I carry Destroyers as my distance driver but don't throw them many times per round. I'm still throwing the Destroyers I have from 2008.

I believe the question was asked to Dave D on the PDGA boards a month or so ago, and he said that it had something to do with an error in the cooling process.

I have a couple of echo stars like this, and I haven't seen a difference.

All the local stores must have got the same shipment of Destroyers from Innova because we have nothing but these Vulcan topped monstrosities at my favorite store now too. GRRR!

Well, I couldn't resist. I bought a pretty marbled blue AJ Star Destroyer with black stamp at Sports Authority. 172g and it's a proper mold, domey Destroyer.

discspeed said:
I think it may have something to do with the fact that there is no patent # on the Vulcan top/core...Just like there are no patent numbers on the new PDs...

Check this out: http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/...-champion-discs-and-innova-disc-golf/summary/

It seems someone filed a lawsuit against Innova for making discs with an expired patents molded on them... :eek:

Wow. How the hell did you find that? The suit has to be more specific than an expired patent #, right?

Joz said:
discspeed said:
I think it may have something to do with the fact that there is no patent # on the Vulcan top/core...Just like there are no patent numbers on the new PDs...

Check this out: http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/...-champion-discs-and-innova-disc-golf/summary/

It seems someone filed a lawsuit against Innova for making discs with an expired patents molded on them... :eek:

Wow. How the hell did you find that? The suit has to be more specific than an expired patent #, right?

I heard some rumors and did a search...That's just how I interpreted "false patent marketing"...As you could see there is not much specific information there. I just put that together with the fact that Innova is "accidentally" making wrong discs that coincidentally used wrong mold parts that didn't have patent numbers on them (Destrulcan and production CPD).

I was thinking my destroyers were a bit too much for me (and maybe they are) but I was throwing them around 90% and they were flying on awesome lines ~450'. I generally throw around 70% on the course as I feel a bit better about hitting lines but my destroyers don't get up to speed and fade early (PDs fly well). Anyway, destroyers have been working well for my FH but I think I'll keep em around for BH duties when I have the room to throw em hard.

I do not like my e* destroyers anymore (with the wacky vulcanish rim) after throwing a standard rim pro and AJ star destroyer. They e*'s don't want to come out of a turn and the noticeably lack the glide of the pro and standard rim star.

Depends how many rounds you play and how many trees you hit. I'd say a few months is average time for one to get into its sweet spot.

In the heavy NW woods my Pro Destroyers used to last about 4-6mo before they'd enter sky roller territory. There isn't a better flying distance disc IMO than the Pro Destroyer but like Discspeed said awhile back I have a hard time trusting plastic who's flight characteristics can change drastically in the middle of a round. This is double true for a disc I'm relying on to get me well past 400'

I just picked up one of the pearly red tacky Star plastic Destroyers from Patrick Brown, to replace my echo* in the over-stable slot. I knew it was one of the good ones when I saw it, and sure enough, its definitely money. It has a poppy top that sounds like a deep heart beat...I can point it at somebody far away, pop the top, and they can feel it resonating in their bones. It fights being turned over like mad, and is only going to get sweeter and sweeter with age.

himynameismatt said:
In the heavy NW woods my Pro Destroyers used to last about 4-6mo before they'd enter sky roller territory. There isn't a better flying distance disc IMO than the Pro Destroyer but like Discspeed said awhile back I have a hard time trusting plastic who's flight characteristics can change drastically in the middle of a round. This is double true for a disc I'm relying on to get me well past 400'

That's also why I stopped throwing the Pro Destroyers, since my home course has numerous trees. But I still love them a great deal. I've gone back to the Wraith (Pro+Star) as my long distance finesse driver.

discspeed said:
Joz said:
discspeed said:

I heard some rumors and did a search...That's just how I interpreted "false patent marketing"...As you could see there is not much specific information there. I just put that together with the fact that Innova is "accidentally" making wrong discs that coincidentally used wrong mold parts that didn't have patent numbers on them (Destrulcan and production CPD).

I could be wrong here but here's my guess:
Innova's patent expired so they are not supposed to be molding discs that have the patent # > because that would imply that there is a valid patent on the disc and then possibly discourage manufacture of competitors' discs

EL-KABONG! said:
discspeed said:
Joz said:
discspeed said:

I could be wrong here but here's my guess:
Innova's patent expired so they are not supposed to be molding discs that have the patent # > because that would imply that there is a valid patent on the disc and then possibly discourage manufacture of competitors' discs

That's exactly the issue.