• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Didn't feel like going thru all the pages. But I laughed when I read the min. from the pdga meeting in March.

"Hans Nagtegaal reported that there was concern from some of our PDGA Europe country coordinators over the various disc golf tours that had popped up in 2016. Graham reminded the board that the Disc Golf World Tour and Disc Golf Pro Tour were not competitors of the PDGA and both were a series of PDGA sanctioned events working within PDGA guidelines and as such receive our support. The third unnamed tour, who is working outside of PDGA guidelines, is not currently perceived as a serious threat due to issues and challenges they have as a result of their alleged poor reputation in the general disc golf community."

Brian's so tactful.

Most interesting thing about Ricky's explanation of why he's going is that if this thing catches on with ESPN, he wants to be there to "represent the sport". As if should this event actually take off and ESPN jumps on board, those who weren't at this first event will be left out entirely going forward.

Nothing against Rick, but the proportion of pros on the panel who got suckered by the OMGESPN!!!11 promotion tactics to those that didn't seems just about right (1 in 6).

As if should this event actually take off and ESPN jumps on board, those who weren't at this first event will be left out entirely going forward.

Why? If ESPN does jump on the disc golf bandwagon, they're going to want the best players available regardless if they made this tournament or not.

Most interesting thing about Ricky's explanation of why he's going is that if this thing catches on with ESPN, he wants to be there to "represent the sport". As if should this event actually take off and ESPN jumps on board, those who weren't at this first event will be left out entirely going forward.

Nothing against Rick, but the proportion of pros on the panel who got suckered by the OMGESPN!!!11 promotion tactics to those that didn't seems just about right (1 in 6).

I didn't take Ricky's words that way. More of, I'm there representing the sport if THIS event turns out big and successful.

His tone and body language were more like, "I wish I hadn't joined, but I'll keep my word and show up." Which could be a complete misread on my part, but that's how it looked as he struggled to find good things to say.

Yeah, the laughter at the asking of the question was most revealing.

Why? If ESPN does jump on the disc golf bandwagon, they're going to want the best players available regardless if they made this tournament or not.

I agree. But the way Ricky phrased it, either he thought this event will break through on its own and his being there when no one else is would make him the best representation (read: best player) of the sport or he thinks that if this event is the stepping stone to bigger things with ESPN, his presence at event #1 positions him to be the best representation of the sport.

I'm probably reading too much into what he said, but on the other hand, it seems like exactly the kind of BS the organizers would sling to get a top player on board.

I took Ricky's response as he wanted there to at least be someone of his caliber player to show the 11 people that watch on ESPN3 and the 22 that show up to watch on site how disc golf is meant to be played. Not just a bunch of AM's out there sucking it up and not putting on a good show. He want's to represent the sport in a professional manner in both skill and appearance.

That's my take. I don't think one bit that he believes this will become a big thing or be successful in any way. PLUS, he is from just up the interstate in SC so it's a home tournament.

I'd also cut him some slack because it was a question he was unprepared for, particularly in such circumstances.

Yea! I watched it live and as soon as I heard that question I ran to the kitchen :popcorn:

Yea! I watched it live and as soon as I heard that question I ran to the kitchen :popcorn:

Not trying to be funny, mean or sarcastic but what did you get out of watching this? Could someone give like a brief synopsis of what was discussed to the others that cannot invest the time in watching this?

More ammunition for you guys. Just noticed they have combined all seniors into one group and now there are four SC players names I recognize.

Not trying to be funny, mean or sarcastic but what did you get out of watching this? Could someone give like a brief synopsis of what was discussed to the others that cannot invest the time in watching this?

The professional disc golfers acted like professionals.

Well, there was a good laugh when the question was asked. Ricky Wysocki took the microphone, as the one person who was going; he said he knew there was negativity but he was going to represent the sport. He was diplomatic, tactful, perhaps reserved. But he was the one to answer the question, and he did.

A few others spoke up and said it was bad scheduling, or bad scheduling and "other things we won't talk about here." They were diplomatic as well.

I took Ricky's response as he wanted there to at least be someone of his caliber player to show the 11 people that watch on ESPN3 and the 22 that show up to watch on site how disc golf is meant to be played. Not just a bunch of AM's out there sucking it up and not putting on a good show. He want's to represent the sport in a professional manner in both skill and appearance.

That's my take. I don't think one bit that he believes this will become a big thing or be successful in any way. PLUS, he is from just up the interstate in SC so it's a home tournament.

I agree with you, this was the impression I got from his response.

More ammunition for you guys. Just noticed they have combined all seniors into one group and now there are four SC players names I recognize.

So a week before the tournament, well after the "no refund" policy was instituted, some players were involuntarily moved from the division they'd paid to play? Well, if it matters enough, they can always appeal to the governing body and....uh, wait.....oh.

(Thanks for the ammo)

Well, it's a small thing, really, just a bit of amusement I couldn't resist. And there might be one or two more in-state players, though none from Columbia.

Hover over "American Open on ESPN3", then hover over "American Open Registration", and a button for registered players pops up.

---provided without comment on the website design. That would be piling on.

His tone and body language were more like, "I wish I hadn't joined, but I'll keep my word and show up." Which could be a complete misread on my part, but that's how it looked as he struggled to find good things to say.
No, that wasn't a miss read on your part.
Meanwhile, it looks like the asterisks are proliferating.
And still no explanation on what the asterisks mean?

On Ricky's response, I think it totally makes sense. In all likelihood he will win the event if he's the only high caliber pro. No matter what happens, the winner will probably have some camera time and interview time, nobody remembers second place. So if anything does filter through all the way up to ESPN and something that could regarded as media worthy, Ricky will be the one they will be talking about, which is good.

Latest posts