• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

I guess I will have to wait until MVP makes an Envy...

Something I've actually wondered about since the MVP folks did the Q&A thread is whether the rims will take on dye. I'm going to order a white rimmed Proton Envy tonight and see what happens. Might take a little customizing, but who knows, maybe there's a black-rimmed Envy to be had afterall. Worst case scenario, it'll be a fun little experiment.

Something I've actually wondered about since the MVP folks did the Q&A thread is whether the rims will take on dye. I'm going to order a white rimmed Proton Envy tonight and see what happens. Might take a little customizing, but who knows, maybe there's a black-rimmed Envy to be had afterall. Worst case scenario, it'll be a fun little experiment.

You wil have to post pics of course.

I don't know who "we" is, but it is not uncommon for different plastics to have different flight characteristics.

I have not noticed any Neutron VS Proton discs of the same mold flying differently since I started throwing MVP, with the exception of the confusion caused by the Volt mold tweak that had many DGers attribute the stability change to the proton plastic. I have thrown every MVP model in every available plastic too. Have you noticed otherwise?

I have not noticed any Neutron VS Proton discs of the same mold flying differently since I started throwing MVP, with the exception of the confusion caused by the Volt mold tweak that had many DGers attribute the stability change to the proton plastic. I have thrown every MVP model in every available plastic too. Have you noticed otherwise?

Proton tangent seems slightly more stable than a neutron. I have lined them up and the PLH seems the same. It could be in my head, but Since I have convinced myself, that's how they are flying for me.

Proton tangent seems slightly more stable than a neutron. I have lined them up and the PLH seems the same. It could be in my head, but Since I have convinced myself, that's how they are flying for me.

I think the Proton Tangent was a little more LSS than the Neutron...but the HSS seemed the same to me. Of course there is the P Volts vs. N volts but from what I hear the N Volts are now more HSS.

The most difference in MVP discs is weight, 155g vs. 175g, plastic does sometimes cause slight changes though, for example my Neutron tangents started out slightly less HSS/LSS than my proton/eclipse did and a long time ago when there used to be domey vectors that were beef sticks.. i shouldn't have sold those :(

proton vs. neutron tangents. sorry, but at least with my small sample size of 3 protons and 2 neutrons, the protons are all more HSS/LSS than the neutrons regardless of weight. i don't think all the molds have this trait by any means, but it's there in the ones i throw.

we all know the plastics are essentially the same, but every time i go into a store and look at neutron tangents they are flatter than the protons. i don't think it's coincidental.

proton vs. neutron tangents. sorry, but at least with my small sample size of 3 protons and 2 neutrons, the protons are all more HSS/LSS than the neutrons regardless of weight. i don't think all the molds have this trait by any means, but it's there in the ones i throw.

we all know the plastics are essentially the same, but every time i go into a store and look at neutron tangents they are flatter than the protons. i don't think it's coincidental.

I have had the same experience. I never really liked my proton tangent but I love, love, love my white neutron tangent.

I have had the same experience. I never really liked my proton tangent but I love, love, love my white neutron tangent.

I have a white neutron which I've missed having in the bag since I haven't been throwing it in the snow, so I just today received a proton and eclipse I ordered in the mail. Lined em up side by side - exact same PLH and can't detect any differences to the naked eye on the dome.

I'll throw them all back to back to back this weekend at some point and compare. All three are within 2 grams of each other, so shouldn't be much difference except for that I'd expect the white N to demonstrate some characteristics of a more seasoned disc since it's not new. Either way though, they are still fun to throw.

Along with those discs, I picked up the Envy and Alias in Proton as well. So those will be getting a run through also. The proton plastic really glows against the snow... pretty cool! I really like the big stamps on those also. Very simple, but still elegant with the plastic. I almost cringe every time I throw my red rimmed/white core Envy cause that rainbow stamp is so cool looking.

Doesn't sound like there gonna stop making them anytime soon, so I should just get over that I guess... lol

I notice the difference between the plastics for sure between MVP discs, like in4d the weight is the biggest difference for me. The problem is sometimes it's hard to predict how it will affect the disc, sometimes the extra weight gives it a straighter flight sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the mold, I was fired up to get a 170 Axis and was disappointed by how stable it was, I've had better luck with the 176 and 178 that I've got. The differences between N and M proton is the same as the difference between Star and Champ, sometimes you like it better other times not as much. If I was throwing like Mike C I don't think I'd notice it as much either.

Neutron is usually a touch less HSS and a touch more LSS, and a few feet shorter. It's like the argument for colors changing flight, I believe it now and I swore I'd never fall victim to that malarkey.

Anyways hows the Envy sitting in the basket and chains on the short putts? I was hoping to replace my Rhyno with one in the hopes it fades a touch less in the 5'-80' range.

I notice the difference between the plastics for sure between MVP discs, like in4d the weight is the biggest difference for me. The problem is sometimes it's hard to predict how it will affect the disc, sometimes the extra weight gives it a straighter flight sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the mold, I was fired up to get a 170 Axis and was disappointed by how stable it was, I've had better luck with the 176 and 178 that I've got. The differences between N and M proton is the same as the difference between Star and Champ, sometimes you like it better other times not as much. If I was throwing like Mike C I don't think I'd notice it as much either.

Neutron is usually a touch less HSS and a touch more LSS, and a few feet shorter. It's like the argument for colors changing flight, I believe it now and I swore I'd never fall victim to that malarkey.

Anyways hows the Envy sitting in the basket and chains on the short putts? I was hoping to replace my Rhyno with one in the hopes it fades a touch less in the 5'-80' range.

Seems to hold the chains just fine. My only issue with putting the Envy is it seems to have less glide than I am used to, so I have to putt a bit higher. Granted, this is coming from Judges, so the Envy isn't glideless. It just has less in comparison. Having never putted with a Rhyno I can't compare, sorry.

Envy is a driving putter to me, the lower glide makes it easier to range but i would still putt with Ions.. maybe on a windy day putt with Envy though.

I'd recommend the Ion or Anode for putts over the Envy, but with that said I'm still auditioning a Soft Envy as a putting putter. I like how they feel in a putting grip and how they eject out of my hand on a putt. I do have to compensate for the more overstable finish, which is really noticeable on longer putts 45-80'.

I haven't noticed any stability differences with MVP between colors and plastics and it's one of the reasons my bag is so full of them. For example I cycle Volts and when my go to gets seasoned to where it has some turn, I know I can grab a neutron or proton, regular or eclipse, blue or red or green, stock stamp orbit stamp or my stamp, and it will fly like a Volt. My Neutron Tangents flew pretty HSS the first time I took them out for example...

Neutron Tangent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJQiDG5wezo
Proton Tangent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51c3c48GnE