• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

funny you should mention this

i forgot if i talked to you about this or not

but i will hopefully be in your neck of the woods next summer

seneca is number one for me to hit up and patapsco second

will spoiled mn folk still complain about the quality of courses in md
Patapsco was in my top 10 early on in the 90s and they've improved since then. Not sure how well maintained these days but you'll have a chance to see for yourself.

funny you should mention this

i forgot if i talked to you about this or not

but i will hopefully be in your neck of the woods next summer

seneca is number one for me to hit up and patapsco second

Fantastic! I would be happy to play tour guide, if you like.

Seneca and Patapsco complement each other well. I would not skip Freedom Center - Clark's Run, which one of the long-time Seneca players described as "Seneca cranked up to 11." :D

But it looks like you have a nice list of courses picked out.

will spoiled mn folk still complain about the quality of courses in md

Oh probably. But Midwestern nice-ly. ;)

If you all have time, I think Cape Henlopen in DE is still going strong--very different DG experience, playing mostly on sand dunes, up and over them, between them, etc. The DG may or may not be great (been 30 years so I don't recall), but I do remember it was one of the most interesting settings and rounds I've ever played. The wind off the ocean (may be DE Bay actually) adds to the fun. YMMV

Patapsco was in my top 10 early on in the 90s and they've improved since then. Not sure how well maintained these days but you'll have a chance to see for yourself.

Nice, Chuck. I play Patapsco fairly often and maintenance has been fine.

I have always thought Patapsco was underrated, but I can understand traveling players marking it down for stone dust tees and lack of tee signs on long-to-long wooded holes averaging > 500'. Both of which are decisions made by the park, not by the course designers.

I usually recommend that first-timers play a quick short-short round to scout out landing zones and basket locations, but nobody ever takes this excellent advice. :p

Fantastic! I would be happy to play tour guide, if you like.

Seneca and Patapsco complement each other well. I would not skip Freedom Center - Clark's Run, which one of the long-time Seneca players described as "Seneca cranked up to 11." :D

But it looks like you have a nice list of courses picked out.

Oh probably. But Midwestern nice-ly. ;)

ill pm you next year that would be awesome thank you

Nice, Chuck. I play Patapsco fairly often and maintenance has been fine.

I have always thought Patapsco was underrated, but I can understand traveling players marking it down for stone dust tees and lack of tee signs on long-to-long wooded holes averaging > 500'. Both of which are decisions made by the park, not by the course designers.

I usually recommend that first-timers play a quick short-short round to scout out landing zones and basket locations, but nobody ever takes this excellent advice. :p
I don't know if they are still doing it but I heard that the Park Dept or club had a regular plan to rotate sets of six holes from A to B to C pin placements to balance the layouts.

I don't know if they are still doing it but I heard that the Park Dept or club had a regular plan to rotate sets of six holes from A to B to C pin placements to balance the layouts.

Green baskets at Patapsco Valley are always in C, hence the long-long being known as "Green Monster" (> 9,000' for 18 holes).

Metal baskets are in A or B. They used to keep metal baskets in the position that interfered least with playing long-long, but weeklies there have been more active so they seem to rotate baskets between A and B from time to time.

If you all have time, I think Cape Henlopen in DE is still going strong--very different DG experience, playing mostly on sand dunes, up and over them, between them, etc. The DG may or may not be great (been 30 years so I don't recall), but I do remember it was one of the most interesting settings and rounds I've ever played. The wind off the ocean (may be DE Bay actually) adds to the fun. YMMV

It's been 25 years or so for me but screw that place. It was definitely "different."

One other problem with clearing the courses in entire states: military installations.

I'm at 95.5% for my home state of New Jersey - but until I can get on a couple of bases, I'm never going to clear it. And I've even inquired through my US Senator's office (hey, I'm a bagger), but at least until the end of COVID, I'm out of luck.

I just noticed that timg added options to change the course bagger rankings.

Those have actually been on there for awhile now. Can't remember what thread that that idea originated from though.

One other problem with clearing the courses in entire states: military installations.

I'm at 95.5% for my home state of New Jersey - but until I can get on a couple of bases, I'm never going to clear it. And I've even inquired through my US Senator's office (hey, I'm a bagger), but at least until the end of COVID, I'm out of luck.

Contact the base pass office directly. Advise them that you would like to come on the base as a guest to play the Disc Golf Course, how can I obtain a one-day pass to play? I just posted a review of the Ft. Lee, Virginia Course an Army Base, and all they wanted was a Driver License at check-in and make sure you have your registration and insurance on you. Norfolk Naval Base the Disc Course is located on a non-essential part of the base and you can just drive right on in. So it could be easy to get on or not? If that doesn't work out...

On facebook see if you can find a local club or just a gathering page of local players and asked if a member of the military or a retiree would be willing to play a round with you on the base. I think you'll find someone very generous with there time, and offer to buy them there favorite beverage and chow after the round. The base club food will be good!

Contact the base pass office directly. Advise them that you would like to come on the base as a guest to play the Disc Golf Course, how can I obtain a one-day pass to play? I just posted a review of the Ft. Lee, Virginia Course an Army Base, and all they wanted was a Driver License at check-in and make sure you have your registration and insurance on you. Norfolk Naval Base the Disc Course is located on a non-essential part of the base and you can just drive right on in. So it could be easy to get on or not? If that doesn't work out...

On facebook see if you can find a local club or just a gathering page of local players and asked if a member of the military or a retiree would be willing to play a round with you on the base. I think you'll find someone very generous with there time, and offer to buy them there favorite beverage and chow after the round. The base club food will be good!

Good ideas! I feel Fort Lee is the exception to the rule for access by non-military personnel. But, its worth a try at other bases that have courses. With COVID still around, it will probably be even tougher.

I'm on the Facebook group with the Military guys in Hawaii (we had talked about going out there for vacation, so wanted to get access to those courses), they have a very active group, at least a couple events every week, and most offer access for non-military throwers.

I just noticed that timg added options to change the course bagger rankings.

you can now click a box to add temp courses to the ranking totals.
you can now click a box to add extinct courses to the ranking totals.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_baggers.php

Gee, thanks Tim. I asked with Tim a few years back to count extinct courses. Glad to see that he has finally come around.

But now I don't quite understand why that course bagger ranking total shows me at 1490 but my total of played courses is at 1507. I do have a couple of duplicate courses listed where I have no answer for why a course might be listed twice, maybe a name change thing.

But on the sunny side, I am finally hitting the road again looking to play 12-15 new courses in Washington, Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. Maybe 1 or 2 a day and because I'll be with my better half, I'll be looking for the easiest, shortest nines I can find. A 30 minute rec course just off the interstate keeps her happier than some 3 1/2 marathon course.

Gee, thanks Tim. I asked with Tim a few years back to count extinct courses. Glad to see that he has finally come around.

But now I don't quite understand why that course bagger ranking total shows me at 1490 but my total of played courses is at 1507. I do have a couple of duplicate courses listed where I have no answer for why a course might be listed twice, maybe a name change thing.

But on the sunny side, I am finally hitting the road again looking to play 12-15 new courses in Washington, Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. Maybe 1 or 2 a day and because I'll be with my better half, I'll be looking for the easiest, shortest nines I can find. A 30 minute rec course just off the interstate keeps her happier than some 3 1/2 marathon course.

ill guess that you have 17 courses that are listed as practice areas.

great to hear that you are getting to take another bagger trip.

But on the sunny side, I am finally hitting the road again looking to play 12-15 new courses in Washington, Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. Maybe 1 or 2 a day and because I'll be with my better half, I'll be looking for the easiest, shortest nines I can find.

Going to come through Billings, MT and not play Diamond X? Again?!

(We do have some easy 9 holers that are new since last time you were out this direction, I believe.)