• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

california course bagging: Im desperately trying to get to 500 courses played in the state this year. currently in the 480's counting all my privates and tourney temp courses to go along with the 460+ on dgcr.

2 new ones planned this labor day weekend
7 new ones planned october 9-10th
4 other random ones within two hours on me to play this year.

its going to be close!!!!

I'm a bit of a bagger (225+ courses) and usually want to try a new course rather than re-visiting the known (except for my favorites). I don't mind playing a 2-disc course knowing that I won't be coming back. If the course has no ratings than I have only myself to blame if it turns out to be a dud. I also try to get out to courses without ratings so I can let other baggers know whether it's worth the trip. What is annoying to me is to have one review that says it is a 4-disc course and I make a special trip just to find out that it is severely over-rated. Especially if it is remote from other courses so that it was the sole purpose of my trip.

I know, I know. It's really kinda sad. With the wife along, I can't expect her to hang around while I play an 2-3 hour adventure course like Diamond X. Plus, she believes this is a husband/wife tourist trip with a few courses thrown in just to break up the trip.

Just lately, we had a serious disagreement and she brings up the fact about how many times she has sat bored while I played some course or another. Now, she been a real trooper for about 30 years of disc golf trips with many, many disc golf courses bagged. She has spotted for me, taken notes for me, sat in the car waiting during rainstorms, wasted a whole day in Italy while we found the only course in Italy (at that time), stewed when I've gotten lost and taken an hour or two longer than promised due to getting lost on some course, been pissed when I've promised her a pleasant hiking experience only to find a course of sage brush, bugs and sand plus once when I left her and her mother stranded at this diner for nearly two hours near Spokane while I finished a nearby 18. Oh yeah, and the time in Germany when we drove all over the freaking country trying to find a disc course called Parc course which we later founding out just meant city park or some damn thing only to end up starving and the only place we could find with any food was an Ikea store which served this sick looking green hot dogs! Yeah, she doesn't let forget those green dogs.

I just can't ask much more of her! 40 + years of marriage has been a serious balancing act! I think I best pass on Diamond X until I come through alone.

Last edited:
Having followed this thread for weeks I somehow have an old school subconscious meaning attached to the title "Course Baggers".

To me this is when you show up to play a course in the middle of nowhere. There's only one guy on the course and he is more than willing to show you the layout. He's long haired, red eyed, tie dye tank topped and barefoot carrying a Stingray, Roc, Aviar and a 70 mold. You outdrive him on every hole but he sand-bags your lunch with his upshots and putts.

Having followed this thread for weeks I somehow have an old school subconscious meaning attached to the title "Course Baggers".

To me this is when you show up to play a course in the middle of nowhere. There's only one guy on the course and he is more than willing to show you the layout. He's long haired, red eyed, tie dye tank topped and barefoot carrying a Stingray, Roc, Aviar and a 70 mold. You outdrive him on every hole but he sand-bags your lunch with his upshots and putts.
Kinda like Stan McDaniel's current incarntion.

It's always good to see a rare Timber post! A sighting of one of the 0.08 per day.

california course bagging: Im desperately trying to get to 500 courses played in the state this year. currently in the 480's counting all my privates and tourney temp courses to go along with the 460+ on dgcr.

2 new ones planned this labor day weekend
7 new ones planned october 9-10th
4 other random ones within two hours on me to play this year.

its going to be close!!!!

Dude, you and Pizza God are a breed of your own. I know that there are several old school members on here that have bagged most of there home state and surrounding states, but we are talking about California and Texas. Bravo!!!:clap::thmbup:

Dude, you and Pizza God are a breed of your own. I know that there are several old school members on here that have bagged most of there home state and surrounding states, but we are talking about California and Texas. Bravo!!!:clap::thmbup:

Old schoolers like tallpaul, for example, used to (not to take anything away from current generation of baggers) do these trips with maps and paper navigation, without benefit of DGCR/Udisc/google maps/gps! :eek:

Those are the true explorers in their own leagues, imho! :cool:

Old schoolers like tallpaul, for example, used to (not to take anything away from current generation of baggers) do these trips with maps and paper navigation, without benefit of DGCR/Udisc/google maps/gps! :eek:

Speaking of a league of his own, there is the fastest course bagging champion of all time, Martin Dewgarita. I remember when he and mashnut were in a friendly duel so to speak. They were going through courses like crap through a goose. No offense to Danhyzer or anyone else ahead of Martin Dew as far as course count goes. But the only reason you are is because he let you. I believe he did so when his course bagging companion passed away. His dog Forest. Which by the way has bagged more courses than most members of this website.:popcorn:

Just got off about 10 days of bagging...all here in Iowa. Had a week of vaca to burn and wife had to work, so I hit 14 new (to me) courses, including adding a new one here. I also was able to scope out 2 other courses in process of being built. Hit 4 other courses, 3 of which I had not reviewed yet. 18 courses in 10 days. Taken over a top 5 bagger spot in the state. Many pictures taken, many reviews yet to write.

I was doing that 2 or 3 years ago, and @brentjacobs made fun of me!

Kids these days, with their fancy computer gizmos and Applications. Scoffing at a good ol' fashioned sheet of paper with a map and some directions.

When asked for his name he only gives you something like "Ugly" or "Monkey"

I recently found a folder full of course info printouts from dgcr stapled to mapquest directions.

If society colapses, at least I've got directions to a bunch of courses.:thmbup:

I remember going on a trip to Cincinnati for the first time, with the wife. I had printed everything out all the directions and was ready to roll!

Of course, something came up and we wanted to deviate the route. Wife showed me how to use her smartphone to find the next course and map it out. Blew my ****ing mind! I got a smartphone as soon as we got back home, holy crap!

never had a smartphone but i'm good with directions