• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Expectations and Pushing your Limits

I played half a round with Mike Raley, who is an MP50 World champion. He won DGLO twice in the mid 2000s. In his mid 50s and still 950 rated. One thing I noticed is besides the fact that everything he does is solid, ie C1 and C2 putting, FH and BH with all shot shapes, is that he told me for max distance instead of power air shots he does a lot of rollers now (FH and BH). YMMV but seems like good advice. Inspired me to practice my rollers a lot recently.

I played half a round with Mike Raley, who is an MP50 World champion. He won DGLO twice in the mid 2000s. In his mid 50s and still 950 rated. One thing I noticed is besides the fact that everything he does is solid, ie C1 and C2 putting, FH and BH with all shot shapes, is that he told me for max distance instead of power air shots he does a lot of rollers now (FH and BH). YMMV but seems like good advice. Inspired me to practice my rollers a lot recently.

Hmmmm.....I did not know Mike had moved out to Cali. Not friends, but sure chewed some of the same dirt through the years. Super nice guy and a terrific golfer.

I am not sure turning your game over to rollers works in many parts of the country, but it would in LA.

I am 52 and didn't start playing seriously/frequently until late in 2019. And this video depresses me.

Not because I have limitations from age or various properties of body/frame. All of that I knew going in. But because I have never felt anything other than mildly sore from field work. And when I get into the phases where I am trying to work on form, I am a GRINDER. (ADHD means that your tunnels are long and and the light at the end is far, far away. But once you are out, there is no track anymore.)

(Well, that and the starting assumption that a novice can throw 250 off the bat with minimal effort.)

And it's not like I was in good shape when I started. Overweight, desk job. Frankly I started disc golf just get my ass outside and moving.

But I simply cannot get myself to feel what I'm supposed to feel and every drill I try doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I'm sure I'm doing them "wrong", but I don't know how to do them right.

If I go look at videos of me when I started to now, I can see a big difference in how I throw, but I don't know that I'm really any closer to right. There is some mysterious thing called "hit" that I'm supposed to have, but no one can describe it and you are just supposed to know when it happens. I try things, I get form reviewed, and at no point do I ever know whether anything I have done has moved to a better place. I just keep getting told what I am doing wrong. There is nothing to hold on to.

I lucked into doing weight training with a couple of guys in the neighborhood a little over a year ago and I think that's been helpful. Every part of me is stronger and I have more overall mobility. One of the guys I work out with is a PT, and he tells me my hips are stiff but that I have huge shoulder mobility, so much so that I have stiffness as well, due (roughly) to having to hold my shoulders in place (well, that and the desk job). He makes the point that doing form work by trying to emulate positions is somewhat fools gold. I can't reach the positions other people can. I won't have the same stretch in my shoulder if I don't let them extend past where other people do.

And I wonder whether the distance gains I have gotten are really form, or it's just that I'm stronger.

I have paid for lessons (quite a few) with a local pro player. He is an absolute bomber, and I think there are many people he has helped vastly improve their swing. The last time I tried to set up a lesson with him he said something that I interpreted as "We could set up another lesson, but I've given you a ton of information and you need to figure it out for yourself." Which, hey, if he doesn't feel like he can help me anymore than he has, I appreciate the honesty. Still stings though.

Basically, I'd happily pay for lessons. I'd pay quite a bit. Hey, I'm 50 and prime earning age. But who even actually teaches? How do you find them? And how could one know that their lessons would actually work for me? It seems to me that video form reviews don't actually let you make the real time adjustments within a field session, the student or the teacher. If you are doing it "wrong" you are basically just ingraining the wrong thing.

When I learned ball golf from a teaching pro, I had a swing rebuilt in 3 lessons over about 4 to 6 weeks (with lots of range work) that gave me solid contact, good distance, and the ability to self-diagnose issues. But I guess that's the advantage of something that generally people can't do at all when they start. Even if you have a self taught swing, it's easier to break and remold.

Thus is my lament.

I think asking on facebook and reddit are places to find local players/coaches. Maybe some will have recs here. DG coaching is still in its infancy and there is a lot of confusing and often conflicting info out there. I continue to learn a ton from SW22's style but my form critique attests that I continue to benefit from a lot of remote coaching. Getting my drills critiqued always helps a ton.

I don't think there is magic to the hit, but since you aren't actually levering out a club like in golf it can be really hard to encode. Getting an ideal one is much harder and involves a lot of variables just like golf (mechanics, sequence, posture, rhythm, etc.).

In dance, the best instructors are good at "backleading" you into the motion with physical contact and making your body learn motion and balance when moving. SW22 does that remotely with tools to give your body feedback. I think he does some in person coaching too.

When I teach people in person (I am no SW22 and tell people that, but I can help learners or rebuilders get off the ground now) I make copious use of backleading. Some people seem to learn faster if you physically put their body in postures and move their CoG around so they start to get it. Just showing someone how to load their shoulder back with their butt leading completely changes how they understand the throw. Handing them a hammer or weight and having them swing it etc. helps.

I am 52 and didn't start playing seriously/frequently until late in 2019.
If I go look at videos of me when I started to now, I can see a big difference in how I throw, but I don't know that I'm really any closer to right.

Howdy, another 50+ late starter here who also struggles with trying to get it right. I recently came across something that I think has really helped me quite a bit.

Instead of filming and critiquing every change to my form, recently I've been working more on feel.

I think it was reading this post where they talk about Dan doing 4000 peck drills in 10 days to find that feeling that got me started on this approach.

I think at this point I have most of the information I need, I think I can visualize what the swing is supposed to look like, and now I just have to practice and figure out how to get my body to do it.

I don't think there is magic to the hit

Have you ever heard anyone actually describe it? Seen it written down in any way other than something circular that just ends being "the hit is the process of getting to the hit and then you experience the hit." I haven't.

I've done hammer swings, etc. It seems to do the opposite of what it's supposed to. It's like being on the other end of Tim Robbins in the Hudsucker Proxy when he draws a circle and says "You know, for kids!" ISTM that this is sort of the default view and even people who "get it" regard it as mysterious, requiring some light bulb moment.

sw22 said recently I was straightening my back leg into the plant and sent me to a video on the bow and arrow drill where what I see is that … he straightens his back leg into the plant. So I just end up mystified about what exactly I'm missing. I tend to do better when I can sort of reiterate what I'm not getting until someone can figure out how to communicate so I can hear it. And being put into the position definitely helps. But that's a conversation, not a disjointed series of form reviews.

As to facebook, that's how I got to the local pro. The recommendation for coaching from the local disc golf group was two specific pros, one of whom is full time on DGPT so wasn't actually available. Maybe he would be a better fit for me, but maybe not. IDK, maybe there are more people now.

I am 52 and didn't start playing seriously/frequently until late in 2019. And this video depresses me.

Not because I have limitations from age or various properties of body/frame. All of that I knew going in. But because I have never felt anything other than mildly sore from field work. And when I get into the phases where I am trying to work on form, I am a GRINDER. (ADHD means that your tunnels are long and and the light at the end is far, far away. But once you are out, there is no track anymore.)

(Well, that and the starting assumption that a novice can throw 250 off the bat with minimal effort.)

And it's not like I was in good shape when I started. Overweight, desk job. Frankly I started disc golf just get my ass outside and moving.

But I simply cannot get myself to feel what I'm supposed to feel and every drill I try doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I'm sure I'm doing them "wrong", but I don't know how to do them right.

If I go look at videos of me when I started to now, I can see a big difference in how I throw, but I don't know that I'm really any closer to right. There is some mysterious thing called "hit" that I'm supposed to have, but no one can describe it and you are just supposed to know when it happens. I try things, I get form reviewed, and at no point do I ever know whether anything I have done has moved to a better place. I just keep getting told what I am doing wrong. There is nothing to hold on to.

I lucked into doing weight training with a couple of guys in the neighborhood a little over a year ago and I think that's been helpful. Every part of me is stronger and I have more overall mobility. One of the guys I work out with is a PT, and he tells me my hips are stiff but that I have huge shoulder mobility, so much so that I have stiffness as well, due (roughly) to having to hold my shoulders in place (well, that and the desk job). He makes the point that doing form work by trying to emulate positions is somewhat fools gold. I can't reach the positions other people can. I won't have the same stretch in my shoulder if I don't let them extend past where other people do.

And I wonder whether the distance gains I have gotten are really form, or it's just that I'm stronger.

I have paid for lessons (quite a few) with a local pro player. He is an absolute bomber, and I think there are many people he has helped vastly improve their swing. The last time I tried to set up a lesson with him he said something that I interpreted as "We could set up another lesson, but I've given you a ton of information and you need to figure it out for yourself." Which, hey, if he doesn't feel like he can help me anymore than he has, I appreciate the honesty. Still stings though.

Basically, I'd happily pay for lessons. I'd pay quite a bit. Hey, I'm 50 and prime earning age. But who even actually teaches? How do you find them? And how could one know that their lessons would actually work for me? It seems to me that video form reviews don't actually let you make the real time adjustments within a field session, the student or the teacher. If you are doing it "wrong" you are basically just ingraining the wrong thing.

When I learned ball golf from a teaching pro, I had a swing rebuilt in 3 lessons over about 4 to 6 weeks (with lots of range work) that gave me solid contact, good distance, and the ability to self-diagnose issues. But I guess that's the advantage of something that generally people can't do at all when they start. Even if you have a self taught swing, it's easier to break and remold.

Thus is my lament.

It feels odd having niced your lament, but I relate to your frustrations. I'm contemplating giving up throwing backhands for distance entirely. As a ball golfer, I can feel the weight of the club in my hands, and the tension in my core and legs, and the moment the shaft releases the stored energy. Discs don't provide me any feedback. I might as well be throwing a handful of whip cream.

Also, I think that part of my problem lies with the fact that I played alot of tennis when I was young. The footwork is nearly identical, but you don't lead with your elbow and your center of gravity is further forward. Due to my muscle memories, I drag the disc rather than whip it into the release point.I've spent many hours over the past 11 years trying different drills and doing fieldwork, but none of them have led to an Aha! moment where the timing noticeably felt right or different. Even those rare drives that went 20 percent further didn't feel any different to me.

Have you ever heard anyone actually describe it? Seen it written down in any way other than something circular that just ends being "the hit is the process of getting to the hit and then you experience the hit." I haven't.

I'm probably not going to describe all this correctly, but here is my basic understanding of the hit and how you get to it. This is probably incorrect in lots of ways but maybe it will help me see where I'm off.

In my opinion there are 4 main movements in the disc golf backhand.
  1. Backswing - disc moves to reachback position while weight shifts from behind
  2. Forward swing - crush the can on plant foot and disc moves to right peck
  3. Throw - plant - plant foot pivots on heel and disc is thrown out from chest
  4. Follow Thru - everything after release

I think the hit is in the throw and the goals is to create a whiplike motion.

When you crack the whip it begins with stopping the swing at the handle. For the optimum whip action in disc golf this would be stopping the off shoulder (on the arm not holding the disc) via the swim move. Then the whip chain is off shoulder -> swing shoulder -> swing arm -> elbow -> wrist -> fingers. The move levers you fire the more snap you get.

So the hit is the crack at the end of the whip (I think), but I think some people describe the move that initiates the whip as the hit as well (maybe?) so that might be where it gets confusing.

It feels odd having niced your lament, but I relate to your frustrations. I'm contemplating giving up throwing backhands for distance entirely. As a ball golfer, I can feel the weight of the club in my hands, and the tension in my core and legs, and the moment the shaft releases the stored energy. Discs don't provide me any feedback. I might as well be throwing a handful of whip cream.

Not quite whip cream but pretty close!

bryantlikes;3832598 So the hit is the crack at the end of the whip (I think)[/QUOTE said:
That would imply the hit is the release of the disc. I don't think that is what is meant by the hit.

I assume that if you create a whip like swing, you will feel the hit. But, you know, assumptions.

That would imply the hit is the release of the disc. I don't think that is what is meant by the hit.

I assume that if you create a whip like swing, you will feel the hit. But, you know, assumptions.

I think this is a good explanation.

I've done hammer swings, etc. It seems to do the opposite of what it's supposed to. It's like being on the other end of Tim Robbins in the Hudsucker Proxy when he draws a circle and says "You know, for kids!" ISTM that this is sort of the default view and even people who "get it" regard it as mysterious, requiring some light bulb moment.

LOL

I think the circle is that the focus on a "hit" and "snap" as some singular magical thing is itself part of the problem. Focus on the swing.

IMO understanding that it is a swing and knowing the similarities and differences in the swing thoughts I wrote below that are shared across sports motions get you out of the circle. Connecting this insight with our actions helps get our overeducated reptile brains moving freely instead of overanalyzing like adults always tend to do. The main problems in DG are that you're swinging a light disc and not a club, and you're typically swinging forward and back more horizontally overall (the gravity advantage can be harder to find than some sports at first). And unfortunately lots of people have trouble developing high-level swings in other sports even when they start as kids.

If you swing a hammer at a nail, you hit it. Your swing heading into the hit can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the head. Swing through it.

If you swing a bat at a ball, you hit it. Your swing heading into the hit can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the ball. Swing through it.

If you swing a golf club at a ball, you hit it. Your swing heading into the hit suck to some degree. Don't swing at the ball. Swing through it.

If you swing a fist at a punching bag, you hit it. Your swing can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the bag. Swing through it.

If you slash a blade through a melon, you hit and cut through it. Your swing can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the melon. Swing through it.

If you swing a ball to throw it, you swing through the motion. Your swing can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the release point. Swing through it.

If you swing a disc to throw it, you swing through the motion. Your swing can suck to some degree. Don't swing at the release point. Swing through it.

The main difference between the last two and all the others is that the impact and recoil are out in front of you in space rather than in contact with a firm physical object.

Good swing mechanics cause better hits. All good swing mechanics involve swinging through the contact or release point. Swinging and slashing through while braced and learning how to put leverage among parts of your body makes it easier to get a good hit and snap.

It's all connected, and good hits are caused by good mechanics swinging through the target (or release or ejection point).

I sympathize that it can be maddeningly hard to get it on a disc, but improving swing mechanics always helps. I am still not good at swinging hammers, but learning to swing hammers better helps because it's learning the leverage game swinging through the target - it's not always about the hammer or "hit" itself as much as teaching my whole body to move and swing my arm and disc. And I certainly wouldn't get better as fast without SW22 because he specializes in teaching the method and I appear to have a similar taste for the mechanics and also like swinging and actually hitting things. A big problem for me is that it was never to eject an object. And yes, it's a little hard to find a "hit" point out in front of you when there's nothing to literally hit out there. Hitting walls in posture helps and that's why one leg throws are awesome, but doing it dynamically with more of the body is super hard to learn.

I think there are other ways to learn to swing the disc through the hit, but the point is you need to get the sequence and kinetics and leverage etc. working in a clean system like a golf swing. Swing the disc in front of you through the release.

8yjXMqD.png

sw22 said recently I was straightening my back leg into the plant and sent me to a video on the bow and arrow drill where what I see is that … he straightens his back leg into the plant. So I just end up mystified about what exactly I'm missing. I tend to do better when I can sort of reiterate what I'm not getting until someone can figure out how to communicate so I can hear it. And being put into the position definitely helps. But that's a conversation, not a disjointed series of form reviews.

I agree that this is part of what's hard about doing it remotely. It's incredibly easy for the person learning vs. teaching to focus on different things. E.g., the more I understand the swing mechanics the easier it gets for me to understand what SW22 meant at the time and why he said it even if I can't do it well. Sometimes I just don't understand unless I'm told explicitly. Much of the time I just need to do it a bunch and stop thinking about it, get feedback when I'm doing it work, etc. I don't know that I have a great solution other than to say mileage varies and online is hard :-\

As to facebook, that's how I got to the local pro. The recommendation for coaching from the local disc golf group was two specific pros, one of whom is full time on DGPT so wasn't actually available. Maybe he would be a better fit for me, but maybe not. IDK, maybe there are more people now.

Tough. I also am curious to know how good the average pro instructor is. A lot of them are young athletic people who had advantages over us later learners and may have trouble getting through to us.

And as SW22 told me this week - free yourself up and just get swinging. Swinging stuff around and feeling your weight moving is a big part of learning to reign it in and swing the disc. I hope part of being 52 can be the joy to just let go and swing stuff like a crazy person for fun. It should not be restricted to children.

Swing the disc in front of you through the release.

rumEgIX.jpeg

Last edited:

I think you might be hoping it is too magical lol. I probably overuse the word as well, but it is a helpful word to me personally. The 'hit' is just...where you accelerate the **** out of the disc at the final moment.

I think maybe its fair to say that everyone 'hits' if you release the disc from your body at all. People who would be said to not be 'hitting' the disc are usually pulling it and the last point of contact with the disc is nowhere near the 4'oclockish position. There was no final KABOOM MFER on that swing. But this is a spectrum. You can get various levels of the kaboom, but this NEEDS to be part of the swing that stays in tact.

Whelp, my last post was totally lame after Brychanus fleshed out my main point like that. Lol.

Go watch that video by LoopGhost that bryantLikes posted. Transcribe it even.

Now read what BryanChanus and RowingBoats posted.

No wonder I'm confused. :D

I feel like he is talking about exactly what we are, which...I know doesn't help your inquiry here lol.

I could also have said something wrong. Maybe people do hold on until the 4'oclock position, it just wasn't achieved with any kind of extreme, last second acceleration.

It's similar. I think Loopghost may illustrate and emphasize some of the arm action and related posture details a little differently than others. In any case, let your arm be pulled taut in the backswing. Swing. Let the posture bring the disc closer to the body resisting collapse into your chest. Leverage it out like swinging a hammer or weight.