• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ebay PSA's...

mobster said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Innova-DISCatcher-Portable-DISC-GOLF-Basket-Target_W0QQitemZ250606548811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5950774b

Is that from the 80s?

pointdisc said:
Going to try an e-bay experiment.

There's a local (total jerk, met him too many times to care) who doesn't return discs, then sells them on eBay. However, if he doesn't get what he wants for it, he'll then buy them with his 2nd account and go around and sell them again w/ his first. The only action his 2nd does is to bid up his 1st accounts auction. Been reported, no action on him. So, I'm going to take a random disc, w/ my info on it, mark so it's recognizable on ebay, put it out there and see what happens.

Pre-planting pics coming later today.

pd

Buy it back from him and then leave him feedback for selling your disc back to you instead of calling :D

Here's something that annoys me a little.

A couple days ago a certain disc went for $41 but I didn't bid because I didn't have any paypal funds. Now I do so I put a top bid of $55.87 on the exact same disc (which bumped the price up to $41 at the time). I check a couple hours later and now the top bid just happens to be $55.87. Now I obviously don't have a problem paying that amount or else I wouldn't have it as my top price but it seems a little fishy that within hours my bid is maxed out when the same disc went 3 days ago for $41.

Steve said:
Buy it back from him and then leave him feedback for selling your disc back to you instead of calling :D

Not a bad idea...

Here's the pics

Before
0405101705a.jpg

After
0405101707a.jpg

Now the waiting game

mzuleger said:

A couple days ago a certain disc went for $41 but I didn't bid because I didn't have any paypal funds. Now I do so I put a top bid of $55.87 on the exact same disc (which bumped the price up to $41 at the time). I check a couple hours later and now the top bid just happens to be $55.87. Now I obviously don't have a problem paying that amount or else I wouldn't have it as my top price but it seems a little fishy that within hours my bid is maxed out when the same disc went 3 days ago for $41.

I'm not saying shill bidding is or isn't occurring here, but keep in mind that when you don't bid on something you aren't in the mix to raise the price, so when you join into the bidding war you become another reason for the price to go higher. Lots of things sell on eBay for way less than they "should" because there is only one person who saw the auction that is willing to pay $100. It might end at a bid of $50 and you think 'aw, I should have bid...I would have easily paid $60 for that,' but once you join in the mix you can still end up losing wondering why this item went for so much more than the last.

If you're worried about shill bidding affecting the price of things you'd like to bid on, use a sniper to place your bids.

FierceTable said:
mzuleger said:

I'm not saying shill bidding is or isn't occurring here, but keep in mind that when you don't bid on something you aren't in the mix to raise the price, so when you join into the bidding war you become another reason for the price to go higher. Lots of things sell on eBay for way less than they "should" because there is only one person who saw the auction that is willing to pay $100. It might end at a bid of $50 and you think 'aw, I should have bid...I would have easily paid $60 for that,' but once you join in the mix you can still end up losing wondering why this item went for so much more than the last.

If you're worried about shill bidding affecting the price of things you'd like to bid on, use a sniper to place your bids.

I may be misunderstanding part of this... is there a program you can use to "snipe" auctions for you? Or are you saying that I should have sniped the auction myself?

mzuleger said:
FierceTable said:
mzuleger said:

I may be misunderstanding part of this... is there a program you can use to "snipe" auctions for you? Or are you saying that I should have sniped the auction myself?

There are programs you can download to snipe. I have one, but dont use it any longer. I just bid what I will to pay now.

Frank Delicious said:
mobster said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Innova-DISCatcher-Portable-DISC-GOLF-Basket-Target_W0QQitemZ250606548811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5950774b

Is that from the 80s?

I have a funny story about those baskets. When I was overseas in Australia, this old European pro named Kurt Carlson used to set up a temp couse at McQuarie University in Sydney. These were the baskets they used, and it was at one of these events that I realized the need for a pitch putt, because those plastic "chains" don't deflect any modern disc over 150g.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't understand what you're doing. Instead of giving him a disc for free, how about I send you $5 and you can send me your Star Monster instead. At least you'll end up with money to show for your time and effort...I promise you'll be more pleased in the end.

Didn't know * monsters were that popular...

I have no attachment to said monster (got it for free, don't throw them, it was on my b/s/t list for a while w/ no action), this is more for my curiosity than trying to get money, and IMHO a star disc is more likely to get on ebay than DX. Trust me, if my "time & effort" that it took to do this was worth $5, I'm in the wrong profession...

Well, good luck to you. I still don't fully understand what you're hoping to acheive, but hopefully you'll get the results you're looking for. As far as Monsters being popular...I don't think they are. I'm just usually buying any premium Innova discs I can for ~$5 so I can practice dying then give it to a friend who has no long term interest in the sport. (If I think a friend is truly interested I'll set them on the right path, but for someone who is just going to throw a few times a year when I'm in town a "bad disc for them" with a good dye job will get much more love.)

cjskier said:
mzuleger said:
FierceTable said:
mzuleger said:

There are programs you can download to snipe. I have one, but dont use it any longer. I just bid what I will to pay now.

If there are programs to snipe then I assume there are also programs for shill bidding... is that a safe assumption?

Even if someone is using another account or another program to bid up something on you who cares? I never understood why people complain that they had to pay close to or actually their max bid. If you didn't want to pay that much then why did you put it as a max bid? If you are worried about these practices going on then don't put a large max bid in there.

nohr said:
Even if someone is using another account or another program to bid up something on you who cares? I never understood why people complain that they had to pay close to or actually their max bid. If you didn't want to pay that much then why did you put it as a max bid? If you are worried about these practices going on then don't put a large max bid in there.
It's no longer an auction when this occurs...it's just a 'best offer.' Shilling is clearly illegal, but you are correct that it's easy enough to avoid on eBay (to some degree anyway) by waiting until the last second to put your bid in. This doesn't prevent prior shill bids that act as a cheaper way to put a reserve on an auction, but it isn't really worth the effort when your own account wins. You still have to pay final value fees and if you file a non-payer on the bidder the account will eventually be closed. Now that eBay requires credit cards/bank accounts to verify accounts creating new accounts multiple times has become a bit more difficult than before.

nohr said:

What a stupid statement... How can you not understand that I don't want to be cheated? I don't mind paying my full price if it's an actual competition, but i don't like the idea of competing with the seller.

mzuleger said:
nohr said:

What a stupid statement... How can you not understand that I don't want to be cheated? I don't mind paying my full price if it's an actual competition, but i don't like the idea of competing with the seller.

First prove that it is cheating then get the seller banned. 2nd stop putting large bids in and this won't happen.

If you can't prove he/she is cheating then maybe your statements about him/her cheating are stupid statements.

You're obviously having a hard time following this situation so I'll try to dumb it up for you.

First off I said I didn't have a problem paying the price I bid, just that it seemed fishy that my bid was maxed in a matter of hours when the exact same disc sold 3 days earlier for $15 less.
nohr said:
Even if someone is using another account or another program to bid up something on you who cares? I never understood why people complain that they had to pay close to or actually their max bid.
I'll repeat my previous statement, if you can't understand why I don't think it's cool for the seller to bid/shill the price up then you're an idiot.

nohr said:
First prove that it is cheating then get the seller banned. 2nd stop putting large bids in and this won't happen.

If you can't prove he/she is cheating then maybe your statements about him/her cheating are stupid statements.
I never said the seller was cheating just that it was fishy... you then said "who cares if the seller uses another account to bid something up." -I care, and every bidder should care that's the point of an auction... if a seller needs to get a certain price then they sould set a reserve or start the auction at a higher price.... christ, I shouldn't have to explain this.