• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Revival - How are my fellow Gazelle-to-Cyclone refugees liking the ESPClone after having them in the bag for a little while?

I'm still throwing mine, a LOT. It's starting to break in since I throw it so damn often off the tee. So I'm about to order another one - a bit lighter this time so I can squeeze a little more glide out.

Anyone else still digging theirs? 8) 8)

I have an ESP in the bag, but I now know why Blake said they don't fly like TPs. Because they don't. However, the ESP Cyclone has a predictable turn, and always fades back while still going forward (something I haven't seen out of a lot of slower drivers).

Furthur said:
I have an ESP in the bag, but I now know why Blake said they don't fly like TPs. Because they don't. However, the ESP Cyclone has a predictable turn, and always fades back while still going forward (something I haven't seen out of a lot of slower drivers).

ye I also feel that the TP's have better glide, but my TP's have so far, beat in pretty fast, so that I have a hard time throwing hyzerflipped straight shot with height restriction, unless it is very new TP. For this shot the ESP seems to still retain the stableness needed.

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I've been throwing the TPs a lot more than the ESP. The ESP is a good disc, but I'm just not into premium plastic really. Just feels wrong for anything except overstable drivers.

In regards to the Glide on ESP Cyclones - I find them to have PLENTY of glide. I've never thrown TPs - can somebody give me a % of how much less glide they feel the ESP has? I mean is it slight, or huge?

I'm going to grab a 168g ESP cyclone and see if the lighter weight gives me a little more glide.

Don't get me wrong though -My 175 ESP Cyclone has great glide though IMO. I'm just trying to make a transition to lighter weight drivers.

**Would Blade suggest picking up TPs? The only place I can find them are Marshall street - and they are the same price as ESP Clones(albeit in a less durable plastic). I would hate to get addicted to out of production stuff :p **

TP has similar glide to an ESP (at least to me), it's just that the TP stays in the straight part of it's flight so well without throwing it hard. Mine are still pretty new though, except a really thrashed one I bought for turnover rollers.

Maybe I just failed to read 12 pages...

But how does the flight in these ESPs vary with the dome? A local shop has them anywhere from flat just after the shoulder to full-on bubble dome...

Thanks

Jsw said:
Revival - How are my fellow Gazelle-to-Cyclone refugees liking the ESPClone after having them in the bag for a little while?

I went to my local pro shop to buy one a little while ago. They had never heard of the ESP Cyclone! Anyways, my wife is still throwing Gazelles. We ordered several, and have a DX rotation starting. But...I ran across a D Cyclone at a shop and I got my wife throwing that disc, and she almost aced a big downhill shot her first round with it!

Anyways, Gazelles are still a good disc, and I'll be keeping some around for a long time, I think.

But...still would like to try an ESP Cyclone.

RS39 said:

But how does the flight in these ESPs vary with the dome? A local shop has them anywhere from flat just after the shoulder to full-on bubble dome...

Thanks

Domey ESPs seem to be a bit easier to turn over, and have a slower, more gradual fade. I think they're easier to keep straight.

RS39 said:

Thanks
I'm still trying to figure out the flat one. Basically for me it wants to fade earlier and harder. I can turn it but it wants to come back right away. I thought it might be better in the wind, but it wants to lift on me. All I can get it to do into the wind is lift, stall and fall off hard or worm burn. That's kinda the same problem I always had with the Z Cyclone, it had a lot of fade but was terrible into the wind. The flat ESP isn't as overstable as the Z was, but I'm still having a problem figuring out any justification for keeping it in my bag.

That's just the flat ones, however. I'm digging the domey ESP Cyclone. I'm not sure how they compared to a TP yet, as my TP's are nice a beat and the ESP's still act pretty much like they did out of the box. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The ESP have been good for me on hyzer lines and when I want to make sure the disc does not flip. You can flip them, but they come back earlier than I'd like. Maybe I can beat that out of them. Time will tell. I have not tried rolling one, but I'm sure once one gets beat to snot it will roll just fine.

If I can get the TP's out of the bag I will, and the ESP Cyclone is the closest thing yet to doing that for me. I'm such a weenie-arm that Strikers and Eagles don't really fly like they are supposed to for me. Lotsa fade. I still have better success with a Cyclone, Gazelle or Cheetah. Since I had a bunch of TP's I saw no reason to switch. The stack is getting smaller, though. Time to get serious about life after TP Cyclones.

Working Stiff said:
RS39 said:

Thanks
I'm still trying to figure out the flat one. Basically for me it wants to fade earlier and harder. I can turn it but it wants to come back right away. I thought it might be better in the wind, but it wants to lift on me. All I can get it to do into the wind is lift, stall and fall off hard or worm burn. That's kinda the same problem I always had with the Z Cyclone, it had a lot of fade but was terrible into the wind. The flat ESP isn't as overstable as the Z was, but I'm still having a problem figuring out any justification for keeping it in my bag.

That's just the flat ones, however. I'm digging the domey ESP Cyclone. I'm not sure how they compared to a TP yet, as my TP's are nice a beat and the ESP's still act pretty much like they did out of the box. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The ESP have been good for me on hyzer lines and when I want to make sure the disc does not flip. You can flip them, but they come back earlier than I'd like. Maybe I can beat that out of them. Time will tell. I have not tried rolling one, but I'm sure once one gets beat to snot it will roll just fine.

If I can get the TP's out of the bag I will, and the ESP Cyclone is the closest thing yet to doing that for me. I'm such a weenie-arm that Strikers and Eagles don't really fly like they are supposed to for me. Lotsa fade. I still have better success with a Cyclone, Gazelle or Cheetah. Since I had a bunch of TP's I saw no reason to switch. The stack is getting smaller, though. Time to get serious about life after TP Cyclones.

Why not use a elite-x cyclone over a esp? I haven't thrown TP's, but isn't elite-x closer to TP? I use both a esp and elite-x cylcones, the x for hyzerflips/turnovers, and the esp when I want alot of fade. Which isn't often- I can throw my x cylone on some pretty cool hyzers. It beats in, sure, but I only use it when I'm out of the woods anyway. In my professional opinion, the esp and elite-x cyclones are different discs :D

Flipflat said:
Why not use a elite-x cyclone over a esp? I haven't thrown TP's, but isn't elite-x closer to TP? I use both a esp and elite-x cylcones, the x for hyzerflips/turnovers, and the esp when I want alot of fade. Which isn't often- I can throw my x cylone on some pretty cool hyzers. It beats in, sure, but I only use it when I'm out of the woods anyway. In my professional opinion, the esp and elite-x cyclones are different discs :D
You know, I really didn't give the X much of a chance. I picked up a few that all had weird flashing on the bottom of the rim. I'm not big on removing flashing, but these cut my hand because of where the flashing was. So I had to cut the flashing away and of course I F'ed up the first one and cut all sorts of crap off of it. It was pretty much the poster disc for "post manufacturing alteration" at that point. I ended up sanding the others, but I was never really hep on the resulting feel. So I was pretty pissed over the whole flashing thing and just not getting the glide I was used to from the TP's and decided "screw this." I tried some D's and ended up throwing some old Elite Pro XL's for a while, but I was in the same boat as I was with the TP Cyclones throwing an OOP disc. Right when I was starting to try the current XL's I blew up my shoulder and had to take the summer off. When I was able to throw again the ESP Cyclone was out, so I went back to that mold. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but time will tell. At any rate, I'm in no mood to give the X Cyclone another whirl right now. Maybe some other day…

Probably more info than anyone wanted to know, but what the Hell. It's another Saturday night...

Two disclaimers:

• I'm rebuilding parts of my throw (again), because what the hell, I had something working pretty well and consistently and I just can't have that happening for too long. I'm not back up to full power, but I'm getting enough snap and control to get fairway drivers to act like they're supposed to.
  • This is about an Elite-X Cyclone, but it seemed relevant to the last question, and I'm curious if the ESP's are that different

I just picked up an Elite-X Cyclone at 172-3g. This morning I put it in a bag with a couple max weight champ Leos, a lighter Star Leo, two KC (champ) Gazelles, and a couple heavier champ teebirds (opaque-ish 11x). What I was hoping for was something along the lines of a slower Eagle-X to fit between a Roc and a PD.

I hit a field on the way into work this morning, and so far:

• The Champ Leos gently flip up to flat and do the low tunnel thing well, and of course the flattening hyzer thing. The Star's flattening from a deeper hyzer angle or turning over from a shallower one. They're getting out to around 320 pretty consistently. No surprises there.
  • The KC Gazelles are doing their best impression of a shorter Firebird L, straight with teeth clenched and fading hard at the end. Also hitting 300-320 with fair consistency. Again, no surprises.
  • The Teebirds are Teebirds, though I haven't established this throwing style enough to put pepper on 'em the way they want and they're fading harder and earlier than I'm used to, it's to be expected.

And then the Cyclone: obviously the diameter's a little wierd, the wider/deeper rim's different, but it's not that big a deal. But my first impression was: lifeless. I expected the slow, but I sure didn't get the glide out of it that I thought I was gonna see, the line wasn't anything special, and with the same stroke, snap, and height as the KC Gazelles it's getting out to 270-300. So this has me asking several questions like:

• Is this one of those discs like a Comet that forces you to re-assess your form and fix something?
  • Does it just take a while to break in before starts acting like a DX Gazelle?
  • Will I discover something awesome about it once my timing/power gets back up towards 100%
  • Is the Elite-X version a dud compared to the TP's and ESP's? Will I throw an ESP and go, "Ohhhhhh okay."

If your Cyclone is flat then yes, you have a dud.

The old TPs had nice dome to them and imo had glide like a seasoned DX Gazelle, maybe a touch more. The domier ESP Cyclones do glide well and can be thrown for nice D (I was getting them out to 320 pretty regularly). I threw Cyclones for a few months after the Gazelle was listed OOP (or whatever) and I did like them, I just didn't like having to look for TPs or ESPs with the dome I preferred. I've only thrown a few Elite X Cyclones and they were all domey and flew pretty much like my TPs but faded a little earlier.

I didn't have to adjust my form when I switched from gazelles to cyclones. However, it did take a few field sessions to adjust my grip. The diameter and depth were greater than my hand was accustomed to when throwing a driver.

Latest posts