• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

I bought an ESP Cyclone for a friend for Christmas because I figured it would be just the type of disc that would be good for him and he'd like. He parked a hole with his second throw with it so I was right. I liked the way it flew for him a lot and since I've decided that I want to settle on a driver in the Cheetah speed class but need something that starts out more stable I picked up two for myself today. Armed with DGR knowledge I bought a main driver (170g domey) and moderately overstable/windfighter one (176g flat with higher PLH).

Didn't get a chance to throw them much, only threw the flat one twice and the domey one 7-8 times because the course I was playing doesn't call for them much, but I really liked what I saw. I was pretty accurate with my selections, the flat one may be a bit heavier than needed but I'm fine with it, it can break in some and still fulfill its purpose fine. I threw the domey one about 280' a couple times despite it not having any high speed turn yet, that's a pretty good number for me on a non-flexing drive. I'll get a better read on them tomorrow morning when I'm playing at a course I can use them a lot on but so far I'm liking them and will probably pick up an X Cyclone or two soon.

My wife's 164 ESP Cyclone is sweet...I often wish I'd have picked up one myself. She has 220-280' of power depending on the day (indeed, developing a big arm for a lady). I got her this disc after kicking myself in the butt for not getting her into something she could really learn to shape lines with, and the Cyclone is just perfect. It is so easy to throw on nice lines and very accurate as well.

She complements this with a KC Pro Gazelle which she is very surgical with on upshots. She definitely sees a difference between the Cyclone and Gazelle...the former will turn over slightly for her, but the latter will not. She can put a good snap on the Gazelle and get a laser beam flight, but the Cyclone is always turning an S for her. For a driver, I've gotten her into a 161 g beat Champion Monarch, which is where she is getting her max distance.

Maybe I missed it in the previous pages. Is there a way to tell the difference between a TP and regular Pro D Cyclone on internet orders. I would like to try a couple but I am not sure I would be getting the correct type. If I did miss this discussion and you have a link I would be happy to read the previous postings.

TP's have this stamp:

cyclone2.gif

They're also long out of print, so you probably can't find them anymore unless they specify it.

Thank your for the help. If I find some that are not to expensive I will give them a try. I dont want to become dependant on discs that are oop but it will be nice to try some.

Furthur said:
TP's have this stamp:

cyclone2.gif

They're also long out of print, so you probably can't find them anymore unless they specify it.
Oh that picture is awful. Give the TP some love.
015-1.jpg

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/cyclone-misprint-school-plastic-p-1245.html

Anyone know if these are Tourney Pro? Seems like it from the description.

Working Stiff said:
Furthur said:
TP's have this stamp:

cyclone2.gif

Oh that picture is awful. Give the TP some love.
015-1.jpg

My camera is broken, or I would have snapped a pic of my bubblegum pink one.

JimW said:
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/cyclone-misprint-school-plastic-p-1245.html

Anyone know if these are Tourney Pro? Seems like it from the description.

They sound like it. Blake would know for sure.

Furthur said:
JimW said:
Anyone know if these are Tourney Pro?
They sound like it. Blake would know for sure.
They are TPs. I bought the last 6 150 TP Cyclones they had. Mmmmmmmm... good stuff! They are all shaped so beautifully. 5 out of the 6 I bought are tourney stamped and one is a regular TP stamp like Stiffy posted above.

I wish Discraft would spit out some 150 gram ESP 'Clones!

I found one of these Cyclones buried in the back of a store once, same exact stamp. After 3-4 rounds the disc was beat to hell and insanely under-stable. It looks like a big dog got a hold of it and gnawed on it for a while, even though there was no more severe use of this disc than all our other discs (which rarely show any wear over such a small time span).

However, the disc flew very very very nicely at the beginning. Just don't expect to have it around for a long time, the plastic is total garbage! It is almost as unreliable as the R-Pro plastic Innova put out last year.

Working Stiff said:
I picked up a few that all had weird flashing on the bottom of the rim. I'm not big on removing flashing, but these cut my hand because of where the flashing was. So I had to cut the flashing away and of course I F'ed up the first one and cut all sorts of crap off of it. It was pretty much the poster disc for "post manufacturing alteration" at that point. I ended up sanding the others, but I was never really hep on the resulting feel. So I was pretty pissed over the whole flashing thing and just not getting the glide I was used to from the TP's and decided "screw this."

I've found that the best tool for removing flashing like that and smoothing the edges is a good nail file. I borrow my wife's nail file all the time for this purpose (it is one of those thin metal files, with a plastic handle, and says "Revlon" on it). :lol: For some plastics the flashing is tougher, but just give it some elbow grease. I find that, when worked around the rim, I can get a long tendril of flashing to come off nice and neat. Then I can touch up any rough bits I missed. Afterward you'd be really hard pressed to be able to tell that I've modified the disc in any way.

JHern said:
I found one of these Cyclones buried in the back of a store once, same exact stamp. After 3-4 rounds the disc was beat to hell and insanely under-stable. It looks like a big dog got a hold of it and gnawed on it for a while, even though there was no more severe use of this disc than all our other discs (which rarely show any wear over such a small time span).

However, the disc flew very very very nicely at the beginning. Just don't expect to have it around for a long time, the plastic is total garbage! It is almost as unreliable as the R-Pro plastic Innova put out last year.
I'm not sure what happened with yours, but mine hold up fine. My go-to Cyclone is a glow TP that I used for night golf for a couple of years in the late 90's. I found it in a box and put it back in the bag last spring. Still going strong. I usually get a couple years out of a TP Cyclone.

My three 173 TPs are flippy when new. Super flippy. Leopard is high speed stable in comparison and needs 10+ degrees less initial hyzer at full power to flip to flat. And these Cyclones fade much more making them flippy and shorter. Guess which one I like more? For restricted space escape shots or annies Leo ain't too hard for me and I could always use a lighter one. Which is still much better in every respect other than tackiness. Cyclones in TP are good winter and wet weather discs for avoiding early slips.

I have a few max wt TP Cyclones, and have owned probably a dozen or so in my time. The ones I have now are all many years old and were purchased used. They do not fly dramatically differently from my brand new Elite X Cyclone. I would not consider them flippy in the least. They flip up to flat, glide a bit right, and come back.

cmlasley said:
I have a few max wt TP Cyclones, and have owned probably a dozen or so in my time. The ones I have now are all many years old and were purchased used. They do not fly dramatically differently from my brand new Elite X Cyclone. I would not consider them flippy in the least. They flip up to flat, glide a bit right, and come back.

Interesting usually that little weight difference is not ruinous but 173 is the only weight I've thrown. What's even more baffling about my discs is that they don't glide well prior to onset of fade so a Leopard is longer by height retention and lack of fast drop to the ground once the fade of the Cyclone kicks in. I don't know if I have lemons because they are the only ones I've thrown and got them at the same time. Mine are x-outs. Two are stamped wrong and I don't know what's the reason for the other third one being an x-out. They all fly the same. Maybe I need to compare to a well flying Cyclone when I see one to rule out shape difference as a cause.

Latest posts